Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Seaney

Quote from: LCohen on November 11, 2020, 01:15:53 PM
Seaney - help me out here.

Do you think that an unsafe vaccine will be rolled out?
If so what is your basis?
In what circumstances would you take a vaccine?
What is your appetite for risk in this regard?

I think the world wants to get back to normal, understandingly.  There is a huge global appetite for a vaccine, just looks at stock markets sore when the results of some clinical trials were announced.  Is the vaccine unsafe, I don't know, I hope not, I hope it works and we can all have full lives again, you only get one.

Will I take this vaccine or another within the coming year or 18 months, no I won't, I would like to see more data, how long is immunity, are their any short term effects, any reactions, how many has one to take.  Researchers state one is immune after 28 days, what happens in the interim, swine flu vaccination has been in the news lately and the whole world didn't receive that jab.  I would like to be cautious, if you want to take it that is fine, if I don't want to take it should that not be fine also?

Seaney

Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 01:41:29 PM

So not only are you unwilling to make an actual point, you are now denying the half story that you DID tell.

Redner indeed.

Seriously are you just very uneducated, point that post out please or do us all a favour and get back to your skielectrics.

LCohen

Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 02:07:33 PM

I think the world wants to get back to normal, understandingly.  There is a huge global appetite for a vaccine, just looks at stock markets sore when the results of some clinical trials were announced.  Is the vaccine unsafe, I don't know, I hope not, I hope it works and we can all have full lives again, you only get one.

Will I take this vaccine or another within the coming year or 18 months, no I won't, I would like to see more data, how long is immunity, are their any short term effects, any reactions, how many has one to take.  Researchers state one is immune after 28 days, what happens in the interim, swine flu vaccination has been in the news lately and the whole world didn't receive that jab.  I would like to be cautious, if you want to take it that is fine, if I don't want to take it should that not be fine also?

Well isn't all that very interesting. But here are my questions again.

Have another go.

Franko

Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 02:10:46 PM

So not only are you unwilling to make an actual point, you are now denying the half story that you DID tell.

Redner indeed.

Seriously are you just very uneducated, point that post out please or do us all a favour and get back to your skielectrics.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.  ;D

dublin7

Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 02:00:51 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 11, 2020, 01:13:15 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 01:06:56 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 11, 2020, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 08:53:32 AM
Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 08:49:43 AM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 08:15:01 AM
So why are you comparing the results of clinical trials for a new vaccine with something that has been around for 50 years?

I'm comparing the effectiveness of todays MMR vaccine with the clinical trials of the Covid vaccine.

Surely you are not suggesting the with unlimited cash, 50 years of scientific improvements, and the fact that they are different diseases/vaccines, the initial clinical trial results should be the same?

Where did I say that - please let me know - I never mentioned MMR it was you and someone else brought it up!

I brought up MMR because while I have don't have any experience or knowledge when it comes to creating vaccines I am aware how successful and important the MMR vaccine is and I wondered how your chemical engineer friend could have forgotten that when he claimed no vaccine is close to 90% successful

I also looked up the original trials for testing measles vaccinations and in the early 60s they introduced the first vaccine after a 95% success rate in trials. You might want to check that with your chemical engineer friend the next time your talking to him (or her)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4007870/

He didn't say that nor did I post that but lets not allow facts to cloud your lies there.  As for your article why not cut and paste the evidence of the clinical trials before the vaccine went live for the 95% success for it.

Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
Talking to a chemical engineer tonight, none. The 90% apparently has never been achieved in history not even close.

As I said previously I don't know alot about medicines/vaccines, but I can read at a decent level and I'm quite good with numbers. The problem with bullsh**ing is it gets very hard to remember what you said/posted previously.

It is like talking to a child trying to do their homework!

Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 08:52:23 AM
Apologies I assumed most would know that the new vaccine was only in clinical trials as it's only the biggest story in the world. Ill add that bit as folk on here really just want to mock and think they are winning something rather than debate, but whatever floats your boat.

Talking to a chemical engineer tonight, none. The 90% apparently has never been achieved in history not even close. (In clinical trials)

Happy?

I'm not the one who can't remember what he posted and calling people liars for quoting what you wrote. I was curious about your friend's claim that vaccine trials never get near 90% and having done a basic google search during my lunch hour and read a few papers from the US National Library of medicine your "chemical engineer friend" is the one lying. I found several trials in just a few minutes with success rates at or above 90%.

Franko

Redner indeed.

You said your 'chemical engineer' had mentioned that "the 90% apparently has never been achieved in history".

You then clarified that you meant that a 90% efficiacy had never been achieved by any vaccine in clinical trials before.  (I think?)

So without even doing any research into whether or not this is true, (dublin7 seems to have covered this angle) I will ask you again... have you some sort of point to make about this, or were you just telling us a nice wee story about how you were talking to someone who tricked you into believing they were clever?

Franko

Just to finally put this one to bed.

Did about 15 minutes research and found that plenty of vaccines that achieved over 90% efficiacy in the clinical trial phase.

Here are examples of 2 that you can give to your pal.  It might stop him from making a tool out of someone else.

It's too late for you unfortunately.

https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/hep.1840010502
https://journals.lww.com/jhypertension/Abstract/2007/01000/A_vaccine_for_hypertension_based_on_virus_like.11.aspx

Seaney

Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 02:13:49 PM

Redner indeed.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.  ;D

Who my phone must do better.  ::)

Seaney

Quote from: LCohen on November 11, 2020, 02:11:57 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 02:07:33 PM

Well isn't all that very interesting. But here are my questions again.

Have another go.

Ill only go the once ta.

Seaney

Quote from: dublin7 on November 11, 2020, 02:18:44 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 02:00:51 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 11, 2020, 01:13:15 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 01:06:56 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 11, 2020, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 08:53:32 AM
Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 08:49:43 AM
Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 08:15:01 AM
So why are you comparing the results of clinical trials for a new vaccine with something that has been around for 50 years?

I'm comparing the effectiveness of todays MMR vaccine with the clinical trials of the Covid vaccine.

Surely you are not suggesting the with unlimited cash, 50 years of scientific improvements, and the fact that they are different diseases/vaccines, the initial clinical trial results should be the same?

Where did I say that - please let me know - I never mentioned MMR it was you and someone else brought it up!

I brought up MMR because while I have don't have any experience or knowledge when it comes to creating vaccines I am aware how successful and important the MMR vaccine is and I wondered how your chemical engineer friend could have forgotten that when he claimed no vaccine is close to 90% successful

I also looked up the original trials for testing measles vaccinations and in the early 60s they introduced the first vaccine after a 95% success rate in trials. You might want to check that with your chemical engineer friend the next time your talking to him (or her)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4007870/

He didn't say that nor did I post that but lets not allow facts to cloud your lies there.  As for your article why not cut and paste the evidence of the clinical trials before the vaccine went live for the 95% success for it.

Talking to a chemical engineer tonight, none. The 90% apparently has never been achieved in history not even close.

As I said previously I don't know alot about medicines/vaccines, but I can read at a decent level and I'm quite good with numbers. The problem with bullsh**ing is it gets very hard to remember what you said/posted previously.

It is like talking to a child trying to do their homework!

Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 08:52:23 AM
Apologies I assumed most would know that the new vaccine was only in clinical trials as it's only the biggest story in the world. Ill add that bit as folk on here really just want to mock and think they are winning something rather than debate, but whatever floats your boat.

Talking to a chemical engineer tonight, none. The 90% apparently has never been achieved in history not even close. (In clinical trials)

Happy?

I'm not the one who can't remember what he posted and calling people liars for quoting what you wrote. I was curious about your friend's claim that vaccine trials never get near 90% and having done a basic google search during my lunch hour and read a few papers from the US National Library of medicine your "chemical engineer friend" is the one lying. I found several trials in just a few minutes with success rates at or above 90%.

You still don't get it seriously what bit do you not get, he was talking about clinical trials, are all schools off today, post away your clinical trials at or above 90%.

Seaney

Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 02:27:09 PM

Redner indeed.

You said your 'chemical engineer' had mentioned that "the 90% apparently has never been achieved in history".

You then clarified that you meant that a 90% efficiacy had never been achieved by any vaccine in clinical trials before.  (I think?)

So without even doing any research into whether or not this is true, (dublin7 seems to have covered this angle) I will ask you again... have you some sort of point to make about this, or were you just telling us a nice wee story about how you were talking to someone who tricked you into believing they were clever?

The vaccine is only at clinical trials, what else could he have been talking about - 43000 people have been given it, it is NOT live- I give up, I don't mean to be rude but you are as thick as shite.

Franko

Quote from: Seaney on November 11, 2020, 03:02:30 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 02:27:09 PM

Redner indeed.

The vaccine is only at clinical trials, what else could he have been talking about - 43000 people have been given it, it is NOT live- I give up, I don't mean to be rude but you are as thick as shite.

And?

You seriously came on here to tell us a lovely story about how you were talking to a 'chemical engineer' who told you that the Covid vaccine was at clinical trial stage?  Sorry pal, but if that's the point you were making, discussion boards are not your thing.

Seaney

The point is there, if you can't grasp it, and I am beginning to realise why you can't, that's your issue.

Seaney

Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 03:07:07 PM
discussion boards are not your thing.

If all your posts are like the last embarrassing few pages maybe you should give them a wide berth.

Franko

Quote from: Franko on November 11, 2020, 02:54:00 PM
Just to finally put this one to bed.

Did about 15 minutes research and found that plenty of vaccines that achieved over 90% efficiacy in the clinical trial phase.

Here are examples of 2 that you can give to your pal.  It might stop him from making a tool out of someone else.

It's too late for you unfortunately.

https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/hep.1840010502
https://journals.lww.com/jhypertension/Abstract/2007/01000/A_vaccine_for_hypertension_based_on_virus_like.11.aspx

Did you miss this one?