Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 08:47:59 AM
Yeah because we are all biochemists and chemical engineers.  I would like to wait for more data from clinical trials, how long has the 43,000 been monitored for, what is the length of immunity, researchers say that protection is achieved 28 days after the initiation of the vaccination, which consists of two doses, what does this mean, can you still become infected within the 28 days, and if immunity is only a few months what then?

I would say that if you can get a few months then take it again? Providing it passes the stringent safety tests of course.. Looking at the safety data would be paramount, this was done in July I think so three months in already and still counting..

I'd assume these people will still be monitored? Two doses would one be a booster?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 03:34:51 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 09, 2020, 01:18:14 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 11:36:06 AM
Interesting read for those pinning their hopes on a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/07/could-a-covid-vaccine-bring-back-normality

Only a generation to wait!

Moreover, warns Peter Hotez of Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, the first vaccines might stop vaccinated people getting sick, but not prevent them catching and transmitting the virus. "In that case we'll still require masks and social distancing, until better vaccines come along," he says.

Some immunologists think that is not all bad. If young children – who do not usually get so sick from Covid as adults – start catching the virus every winter we may develop enough immunity, if not to stop the virus circulating then at least to limit its impact. In a generation, everyone will have had it as children, and Covid will be mild. That may be what happened with the four coronaviruses that now cause common colds in winter. Genetic analysis shows one, OC43, left cattle and entered humans around 1890. It may be what really caused a pandemic that year of what we thought was severe flu, says Nicholas Christakis of Yale University, but which we now realise had Covid-like symptoms.

Given the announcement today, I'd say (very tentatively) that this is not overly relevant any more.

On the other hand, it's not a great article for those who like to put forward the argument that Covid is basically the same as the flu.

Thank goodness for you that you didn't do that - or you'd be looking a bit silly right now.

I didn't so I am grand.

Must have been the other balloon.

It's difficult to distinguish at times.

Seaney

Don't let facts get in the way of your bile and insults.

Franko

Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 04:51:50 PM
Don't let facts get in the way of your bile and insults.

Lol.

Irony's not really your thing is it?

Seaney

No smiley face? Another warrior over egging his contribution. Just keep spouting lies.

Chief

Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 08:47:59 AM
Yeah because we are all biochemists and chemical engineers.  I would like to wait for more data from clinical trials, how long has the 43,000 been monitored for, what is the length of immunity, researchers say that protection is achieved 28 days after the initiation of the vaccination, which consists of two doses, what does this mean, can you still become infected within the 28 days, and if immunity is only a few months what then?

What answers to each of those questions would satisfy you?

Seaney

Talking to a chemical engineer tonight, none. The 90% apparently has never been achieved in history not even close.

Milltown Row2

In real news, a real life expert was on the news discussing how Oxford are doing very well with it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Quote from: Chief on November 10, 2020, 10:00:00 PM
Ah - "according to a mate..."

PhD in chemical engineering, former employee and currently at the coal face, what's your qualifications?

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 10:08:23 PM
In real news, a real life expert was on the news discussing how Oxford are doing very well with it

Redner still there?

Milltown Row2

Was taking to a client today at work who had Covid, spent six days in hospital, thought he was going to die, whole family contracted it..

Was a non believer of how bad it was, never knew anyone that had it until it came to his door, was very emotional talking today.

The sooner a safe vaccine comes the better

Seaney

Everyone looking for a safe vaccine, strange in a pandemic they where a non believer. Would you take this vaccine tomorrow? Or will you answer with a question?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
Talking to a chemical engineer tonight, none. The 90% apparently has never been achieved in history not even close.
What has this chemical engineer got to do with vaccines?

thebigfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 10, 2020, 11:02:59 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
What has this chemical engineer got to do with vaccines?

He's a scientist, surely if we have learned anything from these threads is scientists know fcuk all and should not be trusted.