Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Seaney

Interesting read for those pinning their hopes on a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/07/could-a-covid-vaccine-bring-back-normality

Only a generation to wait!

Moreover, warns Peter Hotez of Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, the first vaccines might stop vaccinated people getting sick, but not prevent them catching and transmitting the virus. "In that case we'll still require masks and social distancing, until better vaccines come along," he says.

Some immunologists think that is not all bad. If young children – who do not usually get so sick from Covid as adults – start catching the virus every winter we may develop enough immunity, if not to stop the virus circulating then at least to limit its impact. In a generation, everyone will have had it as children, and Covid will be mild. That may be what happened with the four coronaviruses that now cause common colds in winter. Genetic analysis shows one, OC43, left cattle and entered humans around 1890. It may be what really caused a pandemic that year of what we thought was severe flu, says Nicholas Christakis of Yale University, but which we now realise had Covid-like symptoms.

mackers

BBC reporting that Pfizer vaccine stops 90% of people getting the virus according to their preliminary results.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

bennydorano

A great day.

Saw it on Twitter and the first dozen replies were from anti-vax knobheads, so numerous battles lie ahead.

sid waddell

Biden has been President-elect for less than two days and already he's come up with a vaccine

What a man

Seaney

Quote from: bennydorano on November 09, 2020, 12:10:52 PM
A great day.

Saw it on Twitter and the first dozen replies were from anti-vax knobheads, so numerous battles lie ahead.

Get the sleeve rolled up! You could be lying on a beach by July!  If one is cautious about administering an expediently developed vaccine are they also knobheads?  I have had every vaccination it is recommended to take as had all my children, has one the option to be cautious on this one and wait or is the toxic language from folk like yourself meant to bully folk and their families into getting it. 

Jeepers Creepers

Some positive news at last, although I'm sure it will be pissed all over in the next couple of days.

If you want the vaccine take it. If not? Don't take it. End of.

bennydorano

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 12:21:31 PM
A great day.

Get the sleeve rolled up! You could be lying on a beach by July!  If one is cautious about administering an expediently developed vaccine are they also knobheads?  I have had every vaccination it is recommended to take as had all my children, has one the option to be cautious on this one and wait or is the toxic language from folk like yourself meant to bully folk and their families into getting it.

The replies I read on Twitter were all replies to Piers Morgan who had quote tweeted Pfizer, so I can assure you Knobhead was very appropriate. Also, I don't care what you do chief. I learned a long time ago all you can do is look after yourself & your own - and I'll take a Government approved Vaccine without a 2nd thought.

Chief

Quote from: bennydorano on November 09, 2020, 12:39:43 PM
A great day.

The replies I read on Twitter were all replies to Piers Morgan who had quote tweeted Pfizer, so I can assure you Knobhead was very appropriate. Also, I don't care what you do chief. I learned a long time ago all you can do is look after yourself & your own - and I'll take a Government approved Vaccine without a 2nd thought.

What did I do....

Seaney

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 09, 2020, 12:36:30 PM
Some positive news at last, although I'm sure it will be pissed all over in the next couple of days.

If you want the vaccine take it. If not? Don't take it. End of.

Close the thread, common sense prevails.

Seaney

A great day.

Good man, thankfully we have a government that is immune to mistakes, so you have every right to place your health in their hands.

bennydorano

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 12:56:06 PM
A great day.

Good man, thankfully we have a government that is immune to mistakes, so you have every right to place your health in their hands.
Dunno how the UK Government is gonna mess it up ???  it's a German/US vaccine with no UK Government involvement.

Tony Baloney

A great day.

You continue to struggle with the fact that the clinical trial process is being followed. Globally all available resources have been thrown at vaccine development. When money is no object it's the same as having 2 lads laying block or 20 lads laying block, the outcome is the same but it'll be done a lot quicker. The pharmaceutical industry is very heavily regulated so there is no way any regulatory agency would sign off on a vaccine that isn't safe. It must be effective AND safe.

Franko

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 11:36:06 AM
Interesting read for those pinning their hopes on a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/07/could-a-covid-vaccine-bring-back-normality

Only a generation to wait!

Moreover, warns Peter Hotez of Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, the first vaccines might stop vaccinated people getting sick, but not prevent them catching and transmitting the virus. "In that case we'll still require masks and social distancing, until better vaccines come along," he says.

Some immunologists think that is not all bad. If young children – who do not usually get so sick from Covid as adults – start catching the virus every winter we may develop enough immunity, if not to stop the virus circulating then at least to limit its impact. In a generation, everyone will have had it as children, and Covid will be mild. That may be what happened with the four coronaviruses that now cause common colds in winter. Genetic analysis shows one, OC43, left cattle and entered humans around 1890. It may be what really caused a pandemic that year of what we thought was severe flu, says Nicholas Christakis of Yale University, but which we now realise had Covid-like symptoms.

Given the announcement today, I'd say (very tentatively) that this is not overly relevant any more.

On the other hand, it's not a great article for those who like to put forward the argument that Covid is basically the same as the flu.

Thank goodness for you that you didn't do that - or you'd be looking a bit silly right now.

Franko

A great day.

"One" of course has that option.

The "behind the sofa" option.

dublin7

A great day.

The pharma companies will have tested and trialed the drug before making it available to the general public. They're not stupid. The law suits they could potentially face if they haven't covered all their bases could bankrupt them.

I don't expect anyone to be forced to get the vaccine, but there's no need to ridicule those of us who would do it.