Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Chief

Quote from: Seaney on October 23, 2020, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: Chief on October 23, 2020, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: Seaney on October 23, 2020, 08:38:01 AM
Quote from: Chief on October 22, 2020, 08:55:59 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 07:32:01 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 22, 2020, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 22, 2020, 07:18:07 PM
For a vaccine to be effective at stopping community transmission , it'll have to be taken by the majority of the population , no ?

I'm alright though Jack, I'm not in an at-risk demographic

Maybe do some research on vaccines in our history and some of the long term health problems they can be attributed to.

I'll take my chances without it. If I catch the virus I will look after myself and following the quarantine procedures.

Do you get the flu vaccine annually?

Question - if your going to "take your chances", will you refuse hospital treatment if things get serious?

Why would one, I have contributed all my life to the NHS through my taxes, why would one refuse hospital treatment, what a ridiculous statement.

Well because that position exposes an inherent hypocrisy in antivax campaigners. They know better, and actively undermine, the health experts up and until they actually get sick, at which point they slavishly throw themselves before the system they claim was spreading falsehoods to begin with, with no regards to those who listened to them up to the end and died as a result.

I don't deny that it is your right to be a hypocrite in the above manner, but get ready to have people call you out, mock you and condemn your quackery when you do.

So you don't smoke, drink, aren't overweight, exercise loads - these are all health experts tips to stay healthy, yet those who do when they become sick slavishly throw themselves before the system - what was the word - ah yeah hypocrite!

You make a sneaky lane shift there but your talking rubbish and trying to deflect.

Most people who smoke, drink, are overweight and/or inactive at least accept the science behind their life choices - there is a degree of hypocrisy I admit in then seeking help if you fall into this category, but that is the type of hypocrisy that is normal in humans, that we are all guilty of, and which is therefore tolerated in any compassionate society that tries help people.

You antivax clowns however fall squarely into the same reprehensible bracket as those who advocate that their is no issue from a health perspective from smoking, drinking, being overweight or inactive. You're peddling falsehoods as science or fact, and as such your hypocrisy is off the scale.

Seaney

Quote from: Chief on October 23, 2020, 11:50:43 AM

You make a sneaky lane shift there but your talking rubbish and trying to deflect.

Most people who smoke, drink, are overweight and/or inactive at least accept the science behind their life choices - there is a degree of hypocrisy I admit in then seeking help if you fall into this category, but that is the type of hypocrisy that is normal in humans, that we are all guilty of, and which is therefore tolerated in any compassionate society that tries help people.

You antivax clowns however fall squarely into the same reprehensible bracket as those who advocate that their is no issue from a health perspective from smoking, drinking, being overweight or inactive. You're peddling falsehoods as science or fact, and as such your hypocrisy is off the scale.

Dear God do you not read what you post, a sneaky lane shift, I am talking rubbish, you then go on to say all humans are hypocrites but this is normal, but not normal when it doesn't suit your narrative, as for the bit in bold that is just of the scale, someone who is making an informed choice is peddling falsehoods as science or fact - tell me are you currently on any medication, or maybe you can't get it because of the lockdown.

Chief

Quote from: Seaney on October 23, 2020, 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: Chief on October 23, 2020, 11:50:43 AM

Dear God do you not read what you post, a sneaky lane shift, I am talking rubbish, you then go on to say all humans are hypocrites but this is normal, but not normal when it doesn't suit your narrative, as for the bit in bold that is just of the scale, someone who is making an informed choice is peddling falsehoods as science or fact - tell me are you currently on any medication, or maybe you can't get it because of the lockdown.

It's not normal level of human operation when your advertised choice goes against the vast majority of scientific opinion and has the potential to harm the health of wider society via your influence on others.

By the way your anti vac opinions aren't informed - they are  blindingly stupid. They stand in opposition to hundreds of years of scientific work.

They are idiotic opinions, misinformed if I choose to operate at the very kindest end of the spectrum, but certainly not 'informed' in any credible sense of the word. 

The fact you decided to suggest/imply mental health issues in a mocking tone, via your sentence at the end of the last post,  reveals all that needs to be said about you really.

Rossfan

Just wondering how many people get polio nowadays?
And wondering how many got before vaccinations started (c1960?).
The 1956 All Irelands were delayed because of a polio outbreak in Cork City that year.

PS God be with the days when we thought Syferus was the worst clown ever on GAAboard.
He was only a novice compared to the 2 we have now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Chief

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2020, 12:23:53 PM
The 1956 All Irelands were delayed because of a polio outbreak in Cork City that year.

PS God be with the days when we thought Syferus was the worst clown ever on GAAboard.

If anybody has an 'informed' opinion on how smallpox was eradicated that would be great as well...

RedHand88

Quote from: Chief on October 23, 2020, 12:35:46 PM

If anybody has an 'informed' opinion on how smallpox was eradicated that would be great as well...

Or Tetanus, Measles, Rubella, Pneumococcal, Pertussis,  Diphtheria... The list goes on.

thebigfella

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 23, 2020, 01:00:57 PM

Or Tetanus, Measles, Rubella, Pneumococcal, Pertussis,  Diphtheria... The list goes on.

Ah here, stop it with this madness

Seaney

Quote from: Chief on October 23, 2020, 12:10:45 PM

It's not normal level of human operation when your advertised choice goes against the vast majority of scientific opinion and has the potential to harm the health of wider society via your influence on others.

So you want a new vaccine mandatory and if there are side effects, consequences down the line that is ok, be that in the vulnerable who are the first guinea pig, the young, the unborn, new borns, you believe that the potential harm by not getting it trumps the potential harm of getting it?

By the way your anti vac opinions aren't informed - they are  blindingly stupid. They stand in opposition to hundreds of years of scientific work.

Covid has been around less than a year.

They are idiotic opinions, misinformed if I choose to operate at the very kindest end of the spectrum, but certainly not 'informed' in any credible sense of the word. 

That is your perception.

The fact you decided to suggest/imply mental health issues in a mocking tone, via your sentence at the end of the last post,  reveals all that needs to be said about you really.

As opposed to calling folk who differ from your narrative, clowns, gobshites, hypocrites, you couldn't make it up.

Seaney

And was that developed and test in a matter of months?

sid waddell

Quote from: thebigfella on October 23, 2020, 10:06:37 AM
Most of the antivax brigade will be fine with homeopathic remedies
Or an untested Russian vaccine

Seaney

Did that one take 6 months to develop?

Seaney

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 23, 2020, 01:00:57 PM

As did the clinical trails before being rolled out!

grounded

Pretty decent article here in the Lancet re: first generation covid 19 vaccines.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31976-0/fulltext

I think the crux of the article is that the role of a vaccine (certainly first generation) vaccines is being well overplayed. They may have a small part to play in the overall programme of disease control. Its sobering reading.

As to the question;  yes of course I and most  people would take the vaccine given that it was suitably approved by the relevant governements and health authorities. 

Coincidentally it was the Lancet who published the now descredited article by Andre Wakefield linking autism to the mmr vaccine. He was a right tool.

Seaney

Is that a standard reply - so if you were in a pub and someone said they would be unwilling to get the vaccine due to some concerns, would you openly call them a clown or are you nice and safe there behind your keyboard.

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 23, 2020, 10:20:37 AM
Quote from: Franko on October 23, 2020, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 23, 2020, 10:12:07 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on October 23, 2020, 10:06:37 AM
Most of the antivax brigade will be fine with homeopathic remedies

or just hope their immune systems can withstand the virus

And that they don't infect 10 others while waiting to find out.

If the Covid Vaccine uptake is high, this should not present major problems.
We don't all get the flu vaccine, we have a robust and normally widely available flu vaccine, it doesn't prevent spread but it ensures that we have a manageable problem.

Judging by the poll conducted here that's a big if.

And please stop with the flu comparisons.  Even those trying to prove that it's the same as Covid have ended up giving us proof that it isn't.

I'm not necessarily putting you (or anyone else on here - before this descend into anarchy again) in this bracket but there is a weird correlation between those who shout loudest about "living with the disease" and those who oppose any of the measures necessary for us to do so (without killing people).