Lurgan

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2017, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Last Sunday I was reading the problem page in the Sunday World.

There was a letter from someone which was signed "Depressed, from Lurgan" and I thought well, yes, you would be if you live in Lurgan.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nrico2006

Lurgan is no worse than any other similarly sized town in Northern Ireland, which would all be rife with underage drinking etc. 

The train station craic is a joke, they close the barriers a lifetime before the train even approaches and as mentioned, they remain closed a lot of the time when they pass until passengers get off/on and the train returns beyond the barrier point. 

But it definitely is arguably the best place in the Country for parks etc for kids.  Lurgan Park, Oxford Island, Tannaghmore Gardens and the Lakes are all brilliant places to take the children.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

You need to know the right roads to avoid the railway lines ;). Anyway no railway lines in my part of the town and a 5 min walk to the GAA club...Class
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Quote from: illdecide on March 03, 2017, 02:13:37 PM
You need to know the right roads to avoid the railway lines ;). Anyway no railway lines in my part of the town and a 5 min walk to the GAA club...Class
Shiny bastard!

Lurgan is a great town in comparison to the likes of Portadown, Lisburn, Antrim etc. It's a sports mad town but I agree the traffic is a joke at times. The usual scumbags at weekends but no more than any other place. The best footballers come from just outside the town in Aghagallon.

T Fearon

Lurgan renowned for Master Mc Grath and Tidsy Mc Kerr,not much else

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 03, 2017, 10:15:04 AM
Visitors should also be set the task of finding the invisible line across the middle of the town which strictly divides the Catholic and Protestant parts of the town.

The old public toilet block (long since demolished, thankfully) were just inside the Taig zone. Or so they say. I always thought of Wellworth's (now Heaton's) as the boundary myself.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on March 03, 2017, 06:11:41 PM

The wikipedia page shows a list of notable people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurgan

Back when I had a lot of time on my hands I did a bit of research and got that article up to snuff and certified as a Good Article. Could use a bit of a cleanup since then.

T Fearon

Lurgan and Portadown have been largely destroyed commercially the growth of Rushmere in central Craigavon.Have fond memories of good times in both towns

Eamonnca1

Rushmere's a monstrosity. No character, just acres of free parking while drivers in the towns have to pay for the car parks. Parking on the main street is free while parking in the (slightly) out-of-the-way car parks is paid, which is the opposite of what it should be. You'd think the more convenient parking would cost more. Mental.

T Fearon

I remember the no warning bomb outside the old Celtic supporters club,in Edward St,which was fortunately spotted by a punter just in time,back in the mid 70s.

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on March 03, 2017, 06:11:41 PM
Don't forget Neil Lennon!
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: JimStynes on March 03, 2017, 06:01:37 PM
Quote from: illdecide on March 03, 2017, 02:13:37 PM
Shiny b**tard!

Lurgan is a great town in comparison to the likes of Portadown, Lisburn, Antrim etc. It's a sports mad town but I agree the traffic is a joke at times. The usual scumbags at weekends but no more than any other place. The best footballers come from just outside the town in Aghagallon.

Great compared to Portadown Lisburn etc.!!
Thats some recommendation
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

lurganblue

Quote from: T Fearon on March 04, 2017, 07:08:44 AM
I remember the no warning bomb outside the old Celtic supporters club,in Edward St,which was fortunately spotted by a punter just in time,back in the mid 70s.

I once heard the story go that someone scored in the match, thus f*cking up someones bet.  Said fellow walked out of the bar in a huff/rage only to see a car parked right up at the front of the door, blocking it.  Everyone quickly escaped out the back before the bomb went off.

michaelg

Do any or many Nationalists / Republicans support Glenavon?

lurganblue

Quote from: michaelg on March 04, 2017, 08:53:50 AM
Do any or many Nationalists / Republicans support Glenavon?

i know a few who do but not many. i know a lot more who support either Lurgan Celtic or Cliftonville