UPC Price Changes

Started by gallsman, January 29, 2015, 01:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Anyone in the south with UPC?

I contacted UPC today looking to downgrade my TV package to offset the recent price increases. I currently have the Horizon Max package with limitless broadband, Sky Sports HD and the Setanta package. As I don't really watch too much TV beyond the news and live sport, I figured I'd be able to mitigate the cost increases to some extent through the downgrade. As a result of the price increases, I'm entitled to cancel or downgrade the contract without penalty. However, when speaking to them, I was advised that this would create a new 12 month commitment. I asked to speak to a manager who insisted nothing could be done and then asked to be passed on to cancellations, who didn't answer the phone.

a) is this legal?
b) are there any options around this? I would prefer not to leave UPC but am likely to be leaving Ireland in the summer and am unwilling to commit to a further 12 month contract. Nor, for that matter, do i believe I should be asked to.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on January 29, 2015, 01:28:48 PM

I contacted UPC today looking to downgrade my TV package to offset the recent price increases. I currently have the Horizon Max package with limitless broadband, Sky Sports HD and the Setanta package. As I don't really watch too much TV beyond the news and live sport, I figured I'd be able to mitigate the cost increases to some extent through the downgrade. As a result of the price increases, I'm entitled to cancel or downgrade the contract without penalty. However, when speaking to them, I was advised that this would create a new 12 month commitment. I asked to speak to a manager who insisted nothing could be done and then asked to be passed on to cancellations, who didn't answer the phone.

a) is this legal?
b) are there any options around this? I would prefer not to leave UPC but am likely to be leaving Ireland in the summer and am unwilling to commit to a further 12 month contract. Nor, for that matter, do i believe I should be asked to.

No doubt it's in the original terms and conditions and is pretty common whenever you change the packages that you have.  When you say you are leaving Ireland in the summer, how long are you likely to be away?  Are you likely to be back in the foreseeable future?  If not I would go ahead and downgrade,  all they can do is pass the debt onto a debt collector who has no forwarding address and can do very little about it.  It would affect you credit rating for a number of years bit if you're not about what odds!  Credit ratings don't cross the border at The Carrickdale so there's very little they can do. 

gallsman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 29, 2015, 01:43:28 PM

a) is this legal?

No doubt it's in the original terms and conditions and is pretty common whenever you change the packages that you have.  When you say you are leaving Ireland in the summer, how long are you likely to be away?  Are you likely to be back in the foreseeable future?  If not I would go ahead and downgrade,  all they can do is pass the debt onto a debt collector who has no forwarding address and can do very little about it.  It would affect you credit rating for a number of years bit if you're not about what odds!  Credit ratings don't cross the border at The Carrickdale so there's very little they can do.

Presumably in T&C's but they expressly wrote out to customers that contracts could be cancelled or downgraded without penalty or fee. Would it be reasonable to consider an additional 7 months of an unwanted contract a "penalty"?

Probably going to be gone for several years. Lot to work through yet though.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on January 29, 2015, 02:05:47 PM

a) is this legal?

Presumably in T&C's but they expressly wrote out to customers that contracts could be cancelled or downgraded without penalty or fee. Would it be reasonable to consider an additional 7 months of an unwanted contract a "penalty"?

Probably going to be gone for several years. Lot to work through yet though.

Well if they wrote to you on those terms then the argument could be made that this changed the original terms and conditions,  I would call their bluff and say that you will cancel the whole contract now as you will be moving away in July, see what they say.

Geoff Tipps

From my experience before they pass you on to the cancellation department they will
redirect you to their customer loyalty department.
Threaten to pull the plug completely and they will give you what you want.

Bingo

Maybe its just me but if you want to move to a new package with them they will always look to get you to sign a new term contract. Otherwise you could just leave to new provider when you fancy it or you can just cancel it.

Its their business/plan model and I doubt it would make any sense or be cost effective if everyone was off contract and be in a position to move at will or tie up customer services every month to adjust their package.

gallsman

Quote from: Bingo on January 29, 2015, 02:31:30 PM
Maybe its just me but if you want to move to a new package with them they will always look to get you to sign a new term contract. Otherwise you could just leave to new provider when you fancy it or you can just cancel it.

Its their business/plan model and I doubt it would make any sense or be cost effective if everyone was off contract and be in a position to move at will or tie up customer services every month to adjust their package.

Oh I accept and understand that - it's just around the particular situation of them hiking their prices and what that allows me to do.

Not really in a position to move provider as I can't get Sky in apartment unfortunately. In ideal world I'd have Sky TV and UPC broadband

macdanger2

Lar Naparka

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 29, 2015, 10:15:21 PM
Call their bluff
Exactly, I did and I was very happy with the outcome.

A few months ago,I decided to have a look to see if I could better the TV/Home Phone/ Broadband I had with UPC.
I been with them for many years, ever since NTL was founded. I never bothered to check the prices  or see if I could get a better deal anywhere else. I was paying by direct debit and just let things slide.
However, after hearing of various others who saved a lot of money by changing providers, I decided to visit a price comparison site, uswitch.ie.
I was fecking mad when I saw the deals UPC were offering newcomers.
I was paying €103 a month and yet they were offering similar bundles that cost a lot less.
So I decided I'd get Freeview/Saorview installed and that would save me €42 per month for starters. I never went close to reaching my broadband limits so I decided to opt for a cheaper [package and the only reason I was anxious to stay with UPC was their fixed land-line service.
So I rang customer care and told the guy who took my call what I wanted to do.
He said UPC would be sorry to see me downgrade my arrangement with them after so many years with no complaints and he asked me what my reason was for looking for a cheaper package; was it the service or the price that concerned me?
I told him it was the price. Without pausing to consider anything he asked me if I'd be happy to pay €59 per month for the package I had then.
I told  him I was sorry that I'd hadn't known this a few days earlier as I had arranged for a satellite installer to call that very day and I waited for his response.
Okay, I was bluffing but I was confident he'd do better than that.
Sure enough, he did.
He said he wanted to talk to his manager and asked me to hang on a minute. No problem sez I, go ahead.
He came back and offered me the deal I had with an  up to date set top box thrown in for good measure for  €35 a month.
Naturally enough, I didn't turn down that offer.
Form €103 down to €35 was some reduction so I'd advise anyone else who is unhappy with the UPC charges to do what I did and see what happens.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

gallsman

Cheers Lar. Was that a new contract too?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2015, 09:07:09 AM
It was indeed and I insisted on an 18 month one and had no problem getting it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ulick

a) is this legal?

Is that true? I was told the banks and things use Experian and my credit rating would follow me.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ulick on January 31, 2015, 09:31:56 AM

a) is this legal?

Is that true? I was told the banks and things use Experian and my credit rating would follow me.

Anything we applied for credit in the north since coming back we have never had a cross border check carried out. They simply have no authority to do it. Experian may have a cross border company but their records don't cross. I've done my own credit checks in the past and they don't even register.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2015, 09:07:09 AM
Must try it myself Lar!

GM - anything you agree on with UPC etc pits you into a new contract. I'm surprised that it's only 12 months as recently UPC, eircom and the telecoms companies are stating 18 month contracts.

Was looking at eircom but if Lars trick works with UPC I'd stay

Ulick

Thanks BC. That would mean then we have no credit record here in the south at all? I'll be looking a mortgage in a few months time - guess I'm fecked on that score then?