Derry v Donegal

Started by J70, May 12, 2014, 07:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Don't think there's a thread yet.

Derry owe us one (or more!). I'm nervous!

We haven't been too hot this year. A lot to prove, but the main men are another year older. McHugh and Kavanagh unavailable.

On the plus side, we've very good forwards (if we can get the ball in!). And Lacey.

And, based on their Donegal tenures, McGuinness is a better manager than McIver! (Although he has had six years to improve)

ck

McGuinness is a better manager than McIvor? Mmmm I'm not disagreeing but I wouldn't exactly say it's that clear cut. Winning an All-Ireland was some achievement alright but it hasn't exactly been sunshine and roses since.. relegation, croke park collapse x 2, players leaving. In my view I think Donegal have the better players, and they have Michael Murphy of course, the best in Ireland at the moment. Derry don't match that but Derry are at home and have beaten Dublin there this year. It promises to be a massive game. I'm hoping to get to it but doubt if I'll have hope of a ticket. Sold out already I hear.

J70

The comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but McIver just didn't impress me too much as Donegal manager. He did well his first year in 2006 (without Devenney and McFadden) and did win a league title, but he also oversaw appalling, spiritless, surrenders against Tyrone and Monaghan and ludicrously took no steps to counteract an awesome Paddy Bradley performance in 2008 when the simple deployment of a sweeper would have cut out a lot of the problem.
As for McGuinness, yes the past twelve months have been poor, but I wouldn't be too hard on him given the combination of All Ireland hangover, a vengeful Mayo taking out their frustration, and injuries. The players leaving is not a big deal, in my opinion. McHugh is a loss, but we don't even know the real reason he left, so its hard to judge. The other lads are no more significant than all the other fringe players who drop out of county panels.

Syferus

Dont Matter outed himself in that Indo interview:

QuoteMcGuinness feels that if Donegal could overcome Derry they would be in a very strong position logistically to regain lost ground. On that count he feels it should be easier for Dublin to retain an All-Ireland title.

"One of the big problems for us is the geography. This year we've people in Belfast, Dublin, Galway and Limerick driving up the road. They're arriving fatigued. Because they're working we're training later, so we start at 8 o'clock and it's 10 o'clock before they're getting a bite to eat. And then they're getting into a car and going to Dublin.

"So that's one, two in the morning. That's a massive commitment. Dublin don't have that problem. We have to fork out €1.75m on a centre of excellence and Dublin get one handed to them, which is handy and which is worth €20m," he said, referring to the proposed GAA unit in Abbotstown that will be open to all counties when it is completed.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/donegal-boss-jim-mcguinness-fears-black-card-diving-epidemic-30265156.html

Whitnail

Haven't been to matches or seen much play this year.
Last three matches I caught were probably last year's Ulster & quarter final defeats and this year's Leauge 2 final defeat.  Kinda used to watching us lose this sort of fixture and won't come as a shock to many if we lose this one.

Defensively we're  open and half- forward line isnt functioning or  scoring . Forwards are swamped when they receive the ball and  starved of service for long periods  and there's definitely a bigger overall problem I  can't put my finger on. The will is there but the execution is way off.

Derry have progressed and we've regressed a bit and Derry of course at home and playing very effective & pacy football.

I'd be a bit more confident if the lads in the half-forward line would just take a pop cause the way I see it they're either not confident enough to have a go themselves or  they're just being told to run it too far and end up getting caught in the tackle.

lynchbhoy

just had a 'c**k crows thrice' moment
Donegal friend of mine asked me to enter into a bet with him over the result and anything I back loses - the hoor prob knew that.

anyhow, Donegal have massive talent, but right now are in a muddle akin to pre-mcguinness days.
they have a lot of work to do to sort that out.
Derry will be a lot more confident if SL mcgoldrick plays.
McIver had Donegal at a v bad time, and is a great manager. hope he has taken in what he saw v Dublin and I expect he will.

I believe I have a ticket for this and cant wait.
I think Derry will win this in a tight game.

J70

I'd like to think Donegal will make a statement in this game, but its hard to see where it will come from, especially if Derry leave a few extra men back. Neil Gallagher would need to be fit. If he is out in addition to Kavanagh, we will be in a spot of bother in midfield. Not sure what plan B would be -McElhinney and Murphy? Derry would enjoy seeing Murphy lining up there given how's he done against their fullbacks in the past ( although dont they have a new lad who had a great game on him - McKenna Cup? - a while back?

donegal lad

This game is really in the balance. Derry had a great league run but were giving a bit of a hiding in the league final, similarly donegal gained promotion but were very poor in the final against Monaghan

If Gallagher isn't fit I would like to see mcelhinney and toye line out at midfield with a half forward line of MacNiallais, Ryan mchugh and David walsh. Derry would love for murphy to be named at midfield he has to start at FF. it's crucial that the ball going into the forwards is off better quality than what was happening in the final. Also we can't stand off them and let them have shots at goal from 30-40 meters out as they have the players that are capable of scoring from there and will also punish donegal if they give away silly frees

I like that Derry are going in as favourites and few people are writing donegal off, that takes away a bit of pressure from them. It's a bit like 2011 no one knows what to expect from donegal. I think we will just have enough to get the win

Anyone looking for tickets they are back available online. Word is Derry clubs only took around half there allocation and were on general sale up in owenbeg. Donegal will outnumber them 2/3:1 which is poor turnout giving the run they had in the league

Main Street

Favourites or not favourites won't matter a damn here to Donegal, they still have to give a championship winning performance against a good Derry team and at present Donegal appear lost, cluelessly lost.
It's strange because McFadden and Murphy are still as sharp as they ever were and with Gallagher playing, that pair won good possession against Monaghan but were isolated and easily ambushed.
I know Derry were rolled over by Dublin, but there was a world of difference between that game and the 2nd div final.
Unless Donegal have a metamorphosis,  Derry should win it well.

Real Talk

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 16, 2014, 10:50:29 AM
just had a 'c**k crows thrice' moment
Donegal friend of mine asked me to enter into a bet with him over the result and anything I back loses - the hoor prob knew that.

anyhow, Donegal have massive talent, but right now are in a muddle akin to pre-mcguinness days.
they have a lot of work to do to sort that out.
Derry will be a lot more confident if SL mcgoldrick plays.
McIver had Donegal at a v bad time, and is a great manager. hope he has taken in what he saw v Dublin and I expect he will.

I believe I have a ticket for this and cant wait.
I think Derry will win this in a tight game.

Can you explain how or with which players can he address the problems of the Dublin game ?  In that game Dublin outclassed Derry in every position on the field and even Sean L wouldn't have made a difference .... now Donegal are not in the same class as the Dubs but I can't help thinkin' that game would have a bad mental effect on our players. 
Does anyone know if Sean L will be fit ? and also I think Benny Heron is much more effective as an 'impact sub'.   So who is going to replace him and be available for our kick-outs?  Is there a starting place for Niall Holly ?  looks tall and athletic although tends to over carry .... and we need an out and out quick corner forward who can score - is there one about the panel ?

Think Donegal's experience should see them into the next round

trileacman

This will be a serious match. Probably a niggly, tense, low-scoring affair but still I'm livid to think I'm going to miss it on Sunday because I've got a flight to catch.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

anfheardubh

As a Donegal man i reckon we will be in for a hell of a physical battle on a tight pitch which will play to Derry's strengths

Donegal dont seem to be able to cope with physical teams,  Monaghan type

Dont get me wrong Monaghan are a top top team and have exceptional players who dont get the credit they deserve for some reason

Donegal would need Durcan to supply quick short kickouts to ensure we get sufficient ball otherwise Derry will lord midfield and dominate the match

My heart says that Donegal are still to show their hand and could produce a class performance of quick, high octane, slick and crisp play which could trouble the Derry Full Backline

My Head says that without Big Neil we are in trouble, the man is crucial, as good a fielder of a ball as Donegal have ever had, without thim we could be looking at the qualifiers

Regardless of the result i will enjoy the match and hopefully its a cracking game

PADDY POWER have Derry favs and rightly so, they have a great record at Celtic Park

DUN NA NGALL  ABU

For many are called, but few are chosen.

HiMucker

Quote from: anfheardubh on May 20, 2014, 12:23:05 AM
As a Donegal man i reckon we will be in for a hell of a physical battle on a tight pitch which will play to Derry's strengths

Donegal dont seem to be able to cope with physical teams,  Monaghan type

Dont get me wrong Monaghan are a top top team and have exceptional players who dont get the credit they deserve for some reason

Donegal would need Durcan to supply quick short kickouts to ensure we get sufficient ball otherwise Derry will lord midfield and dominate the match

My heart says that Donegal are still to show their hand and could produce a class performance of quick, high octane, slick and crisp play which could trouble the Derry Full Backline

My Head says that without Big Neil we are in trouble, the man is crucial, as good a fielder of a ball as Donegal have ever had, without thim we could be looking at the qualifiers

Regardless of the result i will enjoy the match and hopefully its a cracking game

PADDY POWER have Derry favs and rightly so, they have a great record at Celtic Park

DUN NA NGALL  ABU
:o I have never heard Celtic Park described as a tight pitch before!

theticklemister

Hi Mucker, i think it is the third smallest in Ulster.

Wildweasel74

Great records in Celtic park, beat at least 7 times up there since 2010, some record alright, had been beat just 2 times(Down June 1994, Laois Oct 1994) from 1990 to 2010, then Mayo, Cork, Armagh, Kildare 2010, Laois, Donegal 2011, Down 2013, think Galway may have beat us up here in that time too, cant remember. so playing in Celtic park these days is not a good advantage, i rather play in clones or casement.

Am not sure why everybody saying Derry are favourites, none of you see the creaming we got in the national league final, obviously not, Previously was confident going into this game prior to the Dublin game with Ryan Bell, James keilt and Eoin Bradly possible available come in for the Donegal game, none of those will start and only one will feature likely in this years championship. 

So going into the game more in hope than confident, Derry could well win, then again so could Donegal, Donegal have turned Derry over in 5 of the last 6 championship games, Derry have been favourites in all but one of these, Ulster final 2011.