Derry v Donegal

Started by J70, May 12, 2014, 07:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Real Talk on May 20, 2014, 12:08:58 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 16, 2014, 10:50:29 AM
just had a 'c**k crows thrice' moment
Donegal friend of mine asked me to enter into a bet with him over the result and anything I back loses - the hoor prob knew that.

anyhow, Donegal have massive talent, but right now are in a muddle akin to pre-mcguinness days.
they have a lot of work to do to sort that out.
Derry will be a lot more confident if SL mcgoldrick plays.
McIver had Donegal at a v bad time, and is a great manager. hope he has taken in what he saw v Dublin and I expect he will.

I believe I have a ticket for this and cant wait.
I think Derry will win this in a tight game.

Can you explain how or with which players can he address the problems of the Dublin game ?  In that game Dublin outclassed Derry in every position on the field and even Sean L wouldn't have made a difference .... now Donegal are not in the same class as the Dubs but I can't help thinkin' that game would have a bad mental effect on our players. 
Does anyone know if Sean L will be fit ? and also I think Benny Heron is much more effective as an 'impact sub'.   So who is going to replace him and be available for our kick-outs?  Is there a starting place for Niall Holly ?  looks tall and athletic although tends to over carry .... and we need an out and out quick corner forward who can score - is there one about the panel ?

Think Donegal's experience should see them into the next round
Without going too much into it
Derry will be looking to get twice the performance from the exact same players as the last day.
Three simple points
Improved kickout strategy
Tighter marking
Increased motivation - if players aren't supremely motivated after the last day out, they shouldn't be playing football.

You can guarantee mciver will have many more aspects covered and all going well , improved.

anfheardubh

Quote from: theticklemister on May 20, 2014, 12:40:18 PM
Hi Mucker, i think it is the third smallest in Ulster.

Cheers mate for the info , was at a game their  in March and was amazed at how compact the pitch was!!!

Didnt know Derry's record was poor recently at home WILDWEASEL  , hopefully Donegal can give youse a rattle
For many are called, but few are chosen.

J OGorman

Quote from: donegal lad on May 17, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
This game is really in the balance. Derry had a great league run but were giving a bit of a hiding in the league final, similarly donegal gained promotion but were very poor in the final against Monaghan

If Gallagher isn't fit I would like to see mcelhinney and toye line out at midfield with a half forward line of MacNiallais, Ryan mchugh and David walsh. Derry would love for murphy to be named at midfield he has to start at FF. it's crucial that the ball going into the forwards is off better quality than what was happening in the final. Also we can't stand off them and let them have shots at goal from 30-40 meters out as they have the players that are capable of scoring from there and will also punish donegal if they give away silly frees

I like that Derry are going in as favourites and few people are writing donegal off, that takes away a bit of pressure from them. It's a bit like 2011 no one knows what to expect from donegal. I think we will just have enough to get the win

Anyone looking for tickets they are back available online. Word is Derry clubs only took around half there allocation and were on general sale up in owenbeg. Donegal will outnumber them 2/3:1 which is poor turnout giving the run they had in the league
Heard from a sec tonight some clubs could only get half of their ticket order.  Would say they'll be a right few heads at it

donegal lad

Quote from: J OGorman on May 21, 2014, 10:23:41 PM
Quote from: donegal lad on May 17, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
This game is really in the balance. Derry had a great league run but were giving a bit of a hiding in the league final, similarly donegal gained promotion but were very poor in the final against Monaghan

If Gallagher isn't fit I would like to see mcelhinney and toye line out at midfield with a half forward line of MacNiallais, Ryan mchugh and David walsh. Derry would love for murphy to be named at midfield he has to start at FF. it's crucial that the ball going into the forwards is off better quality than what was happening in the final. Also we can't stand off them and let them have shots at goal from 30-40 meters out as they have the players that are capable of scoring from there and will also punish donegal if they give away silly frees

I like that Derry are going in as favourites and few people are writing donegal off, that takes away a bit of pressure from them. It's a bit like 2011 no one knows what to expect from donegal. I think we will just have enough to get the win

Anyone looking for tickets they are back available online. Word is Derry clubs only took around half there allocation and were on general sale up in owenbeg. Donegal will outnumber them 2/3:1 which is poor turnout giving the run they had in the league
Heard from a sec tonight some clubs could only get half of their ticket order.  Would say they'll be a right few heads at it
Is that Derry or donegal clubs. Would find it strange that clubs in Derry didn't cover their ticket orders when Derry gaa have had tickets on general sale at there office in owenbeg this past 2 weeks( know that for a fact as a friend from Derry told me to go their if we were stuck for tickets and its on Derry gaa website) if clubs were struggling to cover orders then they should be asking questions of their county board. My own club in donegal actually had to get tickets from tickets.ie to cover there order (know this because my 4 tickets were part of that batch)

donegal lad

Also the word on the street here in donegal is that donegal could lineup like this
1. Durcan
2. McGrath
3. N McGee
4. E McGee
5. lacey
6. Mcloone
7. Mcglynn
8. Mcelhinney
9. Toye
10. R mchugh
11. Mcbearty
12. Mcnelis
13. McFadden
14. Murphy
15. Oconnor

The big player who would miss out if this is true is Anthony Thompson. Personally think its a bit of a gamble playing McGrath after only coming back from long term injury. Know his recovery has been geared towards this game for a while now.  Mcbearty played at centre half forward for the u21s this year and it's a position I've wanted to see jim try him in as think he be good player to link the play and also gives the half forward line more of a scoring threat which it has been lacking. Young "jigger" oconnor be making his championship debut if this is the team and he's another great young player has a bit of pace about him which rest of our options for the full forward line lack a little

From what I'm hearing Big Neil won't be fit to start the game but it's hoped he be able to play some part 

quiganmaster

Very excited about this game. Any word on when the Donegal team will be announced? Derrys is to be announced on Friday at the club derry dinner. Will Neil Gallagher be fit? I feel he will be vital in any game plan mcguiness would have and may force him into a different kickouts tat agh as derry would surely do,image if Donegal were without their first choice midfield pairing.

1. Thomas Mallon (The Loup)
2. Gareth Mckinless (Ballinderry)
3. Chrissy Mckaige (Slaughtneil)
4. Dermot McBride (Ballinascreen)
5.Kevin Johnston (Dungiven)
6.Gerard O'Kane (Glenullin)
7.Sean Leo McGoldrick (Coleraine)
8. Fergal Doherty (Bellaghy)
9.Patsy Bradley (Slaughtneil)
10. Ciaran McFaul (Glen)
11. Mark Lynch (c) (Banagher)
12. Enda Lynn (Greenlough)
13. Benny Heron (Ballinascreen)
14. Emmett McGuckin (Magherafelt)
15. Caolan O'Boyle (Lavey)

This is how I would want us to line out and expect us to do so. McKaige on Murphy and Mcbride on McFadden. I don't think the country understands how important Sean Leo is for derry and how huge of a miss he was for the Dublin game. I expect Derry to get the better of the middle of the pitch and hopefully limit the supply into the all star full forward line. With bell and Kielt on the bench, mciver has the option to change his tactics to long range shots if the running game is countered by donegals blanket. Really looking forward to this one and hoping for a win in a very tight, intense game against and brilliant donegal set up.

donegal lad

Quote from: quiganmaster on May 22, 2014, 12:17:17 PM
Very excited about this game. Any word on when the Donegal team will be announced? Derrys is to be announced on Friday at the club derry dinner. Will Neil Gallagher be fit? I feel he will be vital in any game plan mcguiness would have and may force him into a different kickouts tat agh as derry would surely do,image if Donegal were without their first choice midfield pairing.

1. Thomas Mallon (The Loup)
2. Gareth Mckinless (Ballinderry)
3. Chrissy Mckaige (Slaughtneil)
4. Dermot McBride (Ballinascreen)
5.Kevin Johnston (Dungiven)
6.Gerard O'Kane (Glenullin)
7.Sean Leo McGoldrick (Coleraine)
8. Fergal Doherty (Bellaghy)
9.Patsy Bradley (Slaughtneil)
10. Ciaran McFaul (Glen)
11. Mark Lynch (c) (Banagher)
12. Enda Lynn (Greenlough)
13. Benny Heron (Ballinascreen)
14. Emmett McGuckin (Magherafelt)
15. Caolan O'Boyle (Lavey)

This is how I would want us to line out and expect us to do so. McKaige on Murphy and Mcbride on McFadden. I don't think the country understands how important Sean Leo is for derry and how huge of a miss he was for the Dublin game. I expect Derry to get the better of the middle of the pitch and hopefully limit the supply into the all star full forward line. With bell and Kielt on the bench, mciver has the option to change his tactics to long range shots if the running game is countered by donegals blanket. Really looking forward to this one and hoping for a win in a very tight, intense game against and brilliant donegal set up.
Mcguinness usually names his team a day or 2 before the game. The team I mentioned above is what is being talked about around here. It would lead you to think mcguinness is going to use few new tactics on Sunday. Neil Gallagher won't start IMO and will come on with 20 or so minutes to go. Really looking forward to it most people are making Derry favs gave even seen people online saying Derry to win by 5+ points. Do think a lot of people are looking a bit to much into the league, it wouldn't be the first time a team went well in the league and did nothing in championship. Mciver did it hear in donegal in 07.

Hopefully it's a good day and il say donegal to win a tight game by 2-3 points

J70

Didn't McKinless do well on Murphy in a recent game?

Might have been in Ulster club.

donegal lad

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2014, 03:16:37 PM

Yeah think he marked him in the club final. Will be 1 of a few good match ups on Sunday. Can see Lacey marking mark lynch as well

oakleaflad

Quote from: donegal lad on May 22, 2014, 03:45:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2014, 03:16:37 PM

Yeah think he marked him in the club final. Will be 1 of a few good match ups on Sunday. Can see Lacey marking mark lynch as well
Don't think McKinless will start myself, expect the full back line to be the same as the last couple of matches. Also don't think Lacey will be on Lynch either but would be happy enough with that from Derrys point of view. How Donegal use Murphy will be a big factor. Should be a great game, really looking forward to it.

orangeman

Nice touch by Durcan.

Donegal goalkeeper Paul Durcan has hailed Derry manager Brian McIver as "one of the best around" ahead of Sunday's Ulster championship clash between the sides in Celtic Park.

McIver had a stint as Donegal boss and offered a hint as to the potential in the county when he steered them to a first NFL Division 1 title in 2007.

Durcan was one of six players to feature in that success under McIver who went on to play in Donegal's 2012 All-Ireland final success.

And the Four Masters clubman isn't surprised at the progress the Oak Leaf men have made this season, saying the Ballinderry man is "top class."

"Derry club football is very strong and a lot of us have seen first hand how good a manager Brian McIver is," Durcan said. "We know he is top class. He is as good a manager as is out there and he is a gentleman too.

"He had a good back-room team with him (in Donegal). Ryan Porter, who is with Monaghan now, was a big help to him and he is a good trainer.

"Brian is a good man-manager and he shows a lot of respect for his players – and that's always a good thing."

orangeman

Is there a current Gaelic footballer benchmarked more by what he achieved as a minor than Derry's Mark Lynch? He was only 16, with two more years remaining in the grade, when he planted himself at centre-back and provided the base for an All-Ireland minor success.

"A boy wrapped up in a man's body," his former colleges and third-level coach Adrian McGuckin recalls.

But 2002 has become an attachment to Lynch's name. Can it not be left behind, he must ask himself every time he posts another big score that prompts us to ask: 'Is this it? Are we finally in the midst of Mark Lynch's deliverance?'

We have good reason to believe that right now we are. In the context of the progress made over the last two years, the Derry performance against Dublin in the league final last month can be set aside as one bad day. There haven't been too many others.

IMPORTANCE

For Lynch at his best, the home game against Dublin reaches out, but for importance the way the semi-final was won against Mayo tells even more.

The lung-bursting run after claiming a kick-out in the build-up to Cailean O'Boyle's goal and the two points that kicked Derry to relative safety near the end stand out.

Like 2002, 'lung-bursting' is another word associated readily with the 28-year-old Banagher man.

When he thrusts his 6'2" 15-stone frame forward and goes, he is so difficult to stop.

This season he has hit a new peak. Consistency has come to his game, the absence of which has routinely drawn those 2002 references.

Derry had a spread of 20 scorers throughout the league. Lynch's 2-44 (0-27 from frees) put him out on top.

With their most prolific scorer Eoin Bradley migrating to Irish League soccer and their rising young star Ryan Bell on the sidelines, Lynch stepped up impressively.

He was their top scorer in six of the nine league games, and each time they won.

Is it too much of a coincidence to say that the introduction of stricter penalties (black card) for off-the-ball blocking and checking of runners has created the right environment for Lynch to thrive? Or has he just ignored the 'potential' tag and got on with doing what he can?

"You hear about not playing to your potential and so on. You try to ignore it but obviously you do hear it and you think about it. But it's always a consolation to know that you are working hard anyway," he says.

"If you are working hard every time you put on the jersey there is a satisfaction there. You can at least go home and look in the mirror and say 'well, I tried, I gave my all'. That has been the way."

Except he's not always sure that he has done that either.

"I have played enough bad games for sure, that was frustrating. I never played to my potential, maybe never gave enough to the jersey. I could certainly say that as well. That was frustrating," he concedes.

Brian McIver's arrival has gradually restored belief in Lynch. Like McGuckin before him, McIver has sought to nurture rather than challenge his ability. He made him captain and Lynch instantly felt a duty to repay that faith.

"It maybe added that few per cent to my training and my approach to the game and that has helped. I do feel a greater sense of responsibility," he says.

"Brian has instilled a belief into us that we are capable of playing with any team as long as we work hard. We definitely have that work ethic among us now.

"Sometimes I can drift in and out of games but when you are centre-forward it is just not allowed. You are in the thick of things."

McGuckin coached Lynch to McRory and Hogan Cup successes with St Pat's Maghera in 2003 and a Sigerson Cup in 2008 with UUJ, and has seen the benefits of the carrot, rather than the stick, approach with Lynch.

"He could go on one of those 40- or 50-metre runs and burn everybody off but maybe go out of it for 10 minutes after that," said McGuckin.

"I found in Jordanstown that when he would be drifting out of a game, if I put him in at full-forward or left-corner forward he would do well there and maybe come out for 10 minutes, do his bit and go back in again to rest for a while again. But over the hour you were still getting a fair amount out of him.

BRILLIANT

"This year he has been really brilliant at centre-forward. He has stayed in games much longer.

"I was talking to Mark after the Dublin game in Celtic Park and he is in tremendous physical condition at the moment, the best I've seen him. He's always been prone to carrying a wee bit of extra weight. He can put on the weight very easily around the backside."

Lynch's streak of form reminds McGuckin of something similar his father Mickey did between 1975 and '76.

"As far as I recall he scored six points each time in two Ulster finals and a league final against Dublin in '76. He was some footballer too."

McGuckin is concerned that Lynch is his own sternest critic who won't let the league final go too easily.

"If he had a poor game he'd be disappointed with that. There might be a worry about him after the league final that he didn't perform like he had been performing," he says.

But riding the bumps on the road is something Lynch is conditioning himself to better now and the Dublin game, he insists, has been dealt with well ahead of this weekend's first Ulster quarter-final against Donegal.

"We went out that day against the best team in Ireland. We just didn't perform and we let the occasion get to us. It's a great learning curve. I think personally we will learn a lot more from that than any game we won," he says.

J OGorman

Match now officially sold out

seafoid

It's a massive match. Ulster looks very interesting this year with a few big hitters going to get dumped early.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2014, 07:21:19 PM
It's a massive match. Ulster looks very interesting this year with a few big hitters going to get dumped early.

Yes this game and Cork/Deise look good fixtures.

I fancy Waterford to be closer than people think. Cork always let them play.

I think Derry in the other one.
MWWSI 2017