So that woman who went missing in Ibiza

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 11, 2013, 01:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

She received seriously favourable treatment and extra media attention because of her appearance. From what I can make out that included a prison sentence 5 times shorter than she was likely to get, preferential treatment inside prison, and ego massaging interviews and attention. 

I haven't aimed any vitriol at her, I think she was stupid, got caught, served her sentence, fair enough, and can see the some of the other side of the whole drugs argument too...but I draw the line at being told she's getting rough treatment because she's a woman and how she looks when its clear as day she has actually received exceptionally beneficial treatment for those very reasons.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 05, 2016, 10:22:47 AM
I don't think I have been vitriolic, she deserves a chance to rehabilitate. I do have issues with her earning cash on the back of this, to me that would not show remorse just an opportunity to replace the earnings lost when she was caught with the drugs.
You may have an issue with it, but that doesn't count for anything. Whether she decides to promote a public persona and earn money off her story after her sentence is a matter for her; same as if she decides to live under a rock. 

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: haranguerer on April 05, 2016, 10:28:01 AM
She received seriously favourable treatment and extra media attention because of her appearance. From what I can make out that included a prison sentence 5 times shorter than she was likely to get, preferential treatment inside prison, and ego massaging interviews and attention. 

I haven't aimed any vitriol at her, I think she was stupid, got caught, served her sentence, fair enough, and can see the some of the other side of the whole drugs argument too...but I draw the line at being told she's getting rough treatment because she's a woman and how she looks when its clear as day she has actually received exceptionally beneficial treatment for those very reasons.

Each case is judged on it's own merits - A matter for courts of Peru.

gallsman

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 05, 2016, 12:40:47 PM
I don't think I have been vitriolic, she deserves a chance to rehabilitate. I do have issues with her earning cash on the back of this, to me that would not show remorse just an opportunity to replace the earnings lost when she was caught with the drugs.
You may have an issue with it, but that doesn't count for anything. Whether she decides to promote a public persona and earn money off her story after her sentence is a matter for her; same as if she decides to live under a rock.

You may hold this opinion but, in your own words, this might not count for anything.

Whether convicted criminals should be entitled to benefit from the exposure their infamy has gained them is not a matter for her, it's one for society.

Applesisapples

It is profiting from crime and does not therefore sit with the line that she is sorry and wants to regain a place in society.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: gallsman on April 05, 2016, 12:48:46 PM

You may hold this opinion but, in your own words, this might not count for anything.

Whether convicted criminals should be entitled to benefit from the exposure their infamy has gained them is not a matter for her, it's one for society.

Society deems her debt to society has been paid by completion of jail and parole.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 05, 2016, 02:23:45 PM
It is profiting from crime and does not therefore sit with the line that she is sorry and wants to regain a place in society.

I don't see how she has profited from crime in this case.

I would assume having been caught in Peru she wasn't paid for transporting the drugs.
She was also not paid for the interview with RTÉ.

ziggysego

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 05, 2016, 02:36:27 PM

I would assume having been caught in Peru she wasn't paid for transporting the drugs.

Actually, RTE have refused to say if she was paid or not.
Testing Accessibility

Applesisapples

There is some indication that her family may have received financial inducements for the two documentaries, I don't know if that is true. However my statement was conditional, I said IF she cashed in on her infamy then that is at odds with her claims to have turned over a new leaf.

Milltown Row2

She got a nice holiday out of it,  sure!! Never been to Peru but its a place I'd like to go, I hear the porridge is to die for
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Nigel White

I see the fight's over. Generous of No wides to back down and let Milltown Row get one over him

CiKe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2016, 10:14:43 PM
Quote from: No wides on April 04, 2016, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2016, 09:37:36 PM
Quote from: No wides on April 04, 2016, 09:28:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2016, 04:42:56 PM
Quote from: GJL on April 04, 2016, 04:39:24 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 04, 2016, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: longballin on April 04, 2016, 04:06:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 04, 2016, 03:49:06 PM
Yet the two most lethal ones are legal...

The girl was/still is a bit stupid in my view, she hasn't gone about this the right way. She should have shunned the opportunity for an interview and waited a while to get back on her feet and then spoke to the press.

As for the pontificating about how drugs ruin lives; this rings true but it also doesn't hide the fact that there are thousands of recreational drug users here in Ireland. In fact go into any nightclub in Belfast or Dublin on any given weekend and you'll prob bump into a few coke users. There's a clear demand in western societies for drugs and the sooner governments give up their losing battle the better.

absolutly.. a lot of the handwringers you can be sure have used some form of illegal drug keeping the mules in a job...
Never used or sold illegal drugs in my life, I am not wringing my hands just voicing my thoughts.

Do you smoke or drink?

illegal I think he mentioned ... though being from Armagh I'd say some illegal fuel would be more of a crime

Some act - So you hate people from Armagh as well as people on benefits and immigrants - no end to your hatred?

Jesus you're hard work.... I wonder would you just fcuk off and do yourself a favour .... You've obviously got serious issues.... Hard life?? Bit of a struggle??

And you prove with every post that you think you are above the majority of society, I am guessing you are 5'2 with size 5 feet.

5'6 size 8.... So I'd be below must people in fairness, priesthood not take you in??

5'6 with the winter studs in Milltown!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CiKe on April 05, 2016, 10:16:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2016, 10:14:43 PM
Quote from: No wides on April 04, 2016, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2016, 09:37:36 PM
Quote from: No wides on April 04, 2016, 09:28:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2016, 04:42:56 PM
Quote from: GJL on April 04, 2016, 04:39:24 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 04, 2016, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: longballin on April 04, 2016, 04:06:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 04, 2016, 03:49:06 PM
Yet the two most lethal ones are legal...

The girl was/still is a bit stupid in my view, she hasn't gone about this the right way. She should have shunned the opportunity for an interview and waited a while to get back on her feet and then spoke to the press.

As for the pontificating about how drugs ruin lives; this rings true but it also doesn't hide the fact that there are thousands of recreational drug users here in Ireland. In fact go into any nightclub in Belfast or Dublin on any given weekend and you'll prob bump into a few coke users. There's a clear demand in western societies for drugs and the sooner governments give up their losing battle the better.

absolutly.. a lot of the handwringers you can be sure have used some form of illegal drug keeping the mules in a job...
Never used or sold illegal drugs in my life, I am not wringing my hands just voicing my thoughts.

Do you smoke or drink?

illegal I think he mentioned ... though being from Armagh I'd say some illegal fuel would be more of a crime

Some act - So you hate people from Armagh as well as people on benefits and immigrants - no end to your hatred?

Jesus you're hard work.... I wonder would you just fcuk off and do yourself a favour .... You've obviously got serious issues.... Hard life?? Bit of a struggle??

And you prove with every post that you think you are above the majority of society, I am guessing you are 5'2 with size 5 feet.

5'6 size 8.... So I'd be below must people in fairness, priesthood not take you in??

5'6 with the winter studs in Milltown!

Rugby boots
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea