So that woman who went missing in Ibiza

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 11, 2013, 01:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

I think we all have considerable sympathy for the family of these two in Peru, less so for the two themselves.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

Dougal, the best post so far in this thread. Well said.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

seafoid

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 29, 2013, 06:49:47 PM
I must admit I was shocked at the lack of compassion shown by many here at the plight of the Peru 2. I'm particularly surprised by the attitude of a number of posters who have indicated that they have young daughters themselves.

Its fair enough to say, from the pictures of Michaella McCollum that were taken in Ibiza, that she wasn't spending her time there trying to set up  a new branch of the Legion of Mary, but neither does she appear to display the type of previous 'form' that would gain her admission to the McCarthy - Dundon Gang. She has, for whatever reason, found herself in a nightmare position in a foreign country, looking as guilty as a puppy beside a pile of poo, and facing the prospect of a long stretch in chokey. OK, regardless of the circumstances, she found herself part of a chain which brings misery and death to many people, but I was at a funeral on Saturday of a 53 year old guy who died of alcoholism and it could equally be argued that those who supplied him with drink heaped as much misery on him and his family as those involved in the lower echelons of the cocaine trade. The only differences are that those supplying him with drink weren't doing so under the alleged threat of death etc, as the Peru  2 suggest they were and drink is legal and coke is not, but it could be argued that it's the end result in many respects that counts.

Many of you have indicated that you wouldn't expect your daughters, with their upbringing, to get involved in something like this. Bottom line is that none of us have a notion how our children will turn out. But as a parent of older children I can tell you this, if you're solely relying on your good parenting to help keep your kids on the straight and narrow you're all seriously deluded.  I'm sure the parents of 'That Slane Girl' thought the same when their young daughter headed off to the M&M gig. There are so many other influences which are totally outside our control, which have the potential to have a much bigger impact on our kids, as they develop, than parental guidance.  The influence of clever and manipulative bullies, for instance, who can prey on less street wise kids when they move from primary school ( my Wife who is a teacher has numerous examples of this happening) and the nightmare scenario of the boyfriend from hell are just 2 things that can leave parents tearing their hair out and wondering what to do. And I can assure you that when either of these things happen parental advice is about number 20 in the list of influences that can change the position for the better and number 1 in the list of things that can exacerbate it

Its no skin off my nose if those  girls get 2 months, 2 years or 20 years but I'm not going to gloat over their tragic situation, because, as a parent who has tried to bring up his kids well, and thank God things have gone well so far, I don't know what's round the corner for me or my family. Finally I really don't give 2 shites whether you or anyone else here agrees with me or not. And finally finally our Minors won on Monday night
A super post, Dougal. Maith thú.

Milltown Row2

I must admit I was shocked at the lack of compassion shown by many here at the plight of the Peru 2. I'm particularly surprised by the attitude of a number of posters who have indicated that they have young daughters themselves.

Its fair enough to say, from the pictures of Michaella McCollum that were taken in Ibiza, that she wasn't spending her time there trying to set up  a new branch of the Legion of Mary, but neither does she appear to display the type of previous 'form' that would gain her admission to the McCarthy - Dundon Gang. She has, for whatever reason, found herself in a nightmare position in a foreign country, looking as guilty as a puppy beside a pile of poo, and facing the prospect of a long stretch in chokey. OK, regardless of the circumstances, she found herself part of a chain which brings misery and death to many people, but I was at a funeral on Saturday of a 53 year old guy who died of alcoholism and it could equally be argued that those who supplied him with drink heaped as much misery on him and his family as those involved in the lower echelons of the cocaine trade. The only differences are that those supplying him with drink weren't doing so under the alleged threat of death etc, as the Peru  2 suggest they were and drink is legal and coke is not, but it could be argued that it's the end result in many respects that counts.

Many of you have indicated that you wouldn't expect your daughters, with their upbringing, to get involved in something like this. Bottom line is that none of us have a notion how our children will turn out. But as a parent of older children I can tell you this, if you're solely relying on your good parenting to help keep your kids on the straight and narrow you're all seriously deluded.  I'm sure the parents of 'That Slane Girl' thought the same when their young daughter headed off to the M&M gig. There are so many other influences which are totally outside our control, which have the potential to have a much bigger impact on our kids, as they develop, than parental guidance.  The influence of clever and manipulative bullies, for instance, who can prey on less street wise kids when they move from primary school ( my Wife who is a teacher has numerous examples of this happening) and the nightmare scenario of the boyfriend from hell are just 2 things that can leave parents tearing their hair out and wondering what to do. And I can assure you that when either of these things happen parental advice is about number 20 in the list of influences that can change the position for the better and number 1 in the list of things that can exacerbate it

Its no skin off my nose if those  girls get 2 months, 2 years or 20 years but I'm not going to gloat over their tragic situation, because, as a parent who has tried to bring up his kids well, and thank God things have gone well so far, I don't know what's round the corner for me or my family. Finally I really don't give 2 shites whether you or anyone else here agrees with me or not. And finally finally our Minors won on Monday night

Again would you show some compassion to these unfortunate people, how were they to know? Stuff just grew there

http://www.u.tv/News/Pair-charged-over-500k-cannabis-seizure/253fe983-766d-486f-aa57-0adbfef78c5b

A lot of, if you had daughters and (I've 2, 13, and 10 btw) 'for whatever reason' (it was the money and selling drugs) the drink and drugs thing is bollox to, will we stop driving cars and cut out those unescessary deaths whats next? Fags christ they must kill more than booze I'd say, I'm more for that.

If this story involved two girls from China would you give a shit?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

93-DY-SAM

They should count their lucky stars the punishment for drug smuggling in Peru isn't as severe as it is in Indonesia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23894761

gallsman

The only differences are that those supplying him with drink weren't doing so under the alleged threat of death etc, as the Peru  2 suggest they were and drink is legal and coke is not, (1) but it could be argued that it's the end result in many respects that counts.

(2) I'm not going to gloat over their tragic situation

(1) No, the fact that drink is legal and coke is not, and the fact that this is widely known, is clearly an important factor.

(2) I haven't seen many gloating, all I've seen is people refusing to let the fact that the two accused are little white girls, one from home, tug at the heartstrings any more than if it was a South American mule landing in Dublin airport.

Dougal Maguire

1. Tell that to the family who buried the 53 year old alcoholic last week
2. Read the thread again
3 if the circumstances were the same I'd have every sympathy for a South American mule
Careful now

Zulu

macdanger2

If the Peruvian authorities were serious about cracking down on drug smuggling, they'd surely have said nothing to these two and notified the Spanish police who could have trailed them on the other side to see where / with whom the drugs end up? Obviously it wouldn't give them the instant headlines that they want but it would probably be more effective in the long run

Quote from: gallsman on August 30, 2013, 10:31:40 AM
(2) I haven't seen many gloating, all I've seen is people refusing to let the fact that the two accused are little white girls, one from home, tug at the heartstrings any more than if it was a South American mule landing in Dublin airport.

You'd want to go back and have a read of the entire thread

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 30, 2013, 08:45:50 PM
If the Peruvian authorities were serious about cracking down on drug smuggling, they'd surely have said nothing to these two and notified the Spanish police who could have trailed them on the other side to see where / with whom the drugs end up? Obviously it wouldn't give them the instant headlines that they want but it would probably be more effective in the long run

Quote from: gallsman on August 30, 2013, 10:31:40 AM

You'd want to go back and have a read of the entire thread

Sure that's a plan,
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 30, 2013, 06:15:48 PM
1. Tell that to the family who buried the 53 year old alcoholic last week
2. Read the thread again
3 if the circumstances were the same I'd have every sympathy for a South American mule
why don't they do that in every country?

Alcoholics and cancer ridden smokers are being buried every week. My grandad died being a smoker and he was allowed to do this because the gov said it was legal, he wanted to smoke like a drinker wants to drink, whats your point ffs, as I said lets stop eveything thats can cause death!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dougal Maguire

Look I have no desire to get into a discussion with you about this, or indeed any topic for that matter
Careful now

All of a Sludden

Would you do a line for Michaella?  :P

AN INTERNET EFFORT set up with the aim of  raising £20,000 towards legal fees for Michaella McCollum Connolly has received just £706 in pledges since it was set up.

The Youcaring.com page – set up by the Monaghan-born woman's sister Stephanie – received its first donation of £20 on Saturday last.

A message to prospective donors says the 20-year-0ld has been in a "living nightmare" since her arrest and that the family had been "overwhelmed with support and kind words from people".

The statement continues:

As I'm sure you all understand to get Michaella home it may be a lengthy process by it all depends on her legal representation.

We plan to visit Michaella as much as we can.

So many of our supporters have asked us if they can donate to Michaella's plight. We appreciate this so much as legal fees etc will be expensive.

McCollum Connolly and her British companion Melissa Reid were found with around 11kg of cocaine hidden in food packages as they tried to check into a flight bound for Madrid almost four weeks ago.

Decision

If the pair plead innocent, they must wait at least two years for a trial, and if found guilty following the trial she could face up to 20 years in prison.

However, if the 20-year-old and her Glasgow friend plead guilty they could be back home in as little as two years.

Her lawyer Peter Madden explained at the weekend that there is a piece of legislation going through Peruvian Congress at the moment which applies to foreigners given around seven years in prison or less.

They get two-thirds remission off their sentences, which means the pair would serve around two years of a six year sentence. The catch: They would have to admit guilt.

Madden told RTÉ's Marian Finucane Show that she must "think very carefully" about her decision.

Hearing

The pair were refused bail and remanded in custody at an initial court hearing last month. The judge rejected defence arguments that they had been threatened with death if they refused to carry the drugs.

Connolly had previously been reported missing from her job on the Spanish holiday island of Ibiza in the Mediterranean, and her family had launched a social media campaign to find her.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 03, 2013, 01:31:26 PM
Would you do a line for Michaella?  :P

AN INTERNET EFFORT set up with the aim of  raising £20,000 towards legal fees for Michaella McCollum Connolly has received just £706 in pledges since it was set up.

The Youcaring.com page – set up by the Monaghan-born woman's sister Stephanie – received its first donation of £20 on Saturday last.

A message to prospective donors says the 20-year-0ld has been in a "living nightmare" since her arrest and that the family had been "overwhelmed with support and kind words from people".

The statement continues:

As I'm sure you all understand to get Michaella home it may be a lengthy process by it all depends on her legal representation.

We plan to visit Michaella as much as we can.

So many of our supporters have asked us if they can donate to Michaella's plight. We appreciate this so much as legal fees etc will be expensive.

McCollum Connolly and her British companion Melissa Reid were found with around 11kg of cocaine hidden in food packages as they tried to check into a flight bound for Madrid almost four weeks ago.

Decision

If the pair plead innocent, they must wait at least two years for a trial, and if found guilty following the trial she could face up to 20 years in prison.

However, if the 20-year-old and her Glasgow friend plead guilty they could be back home in as little as two years.

Her lawyer Peter Madden explained at the weekend that there is a piece of legislation going through Peruvian Congress at the moment which applies to foreigners given around seven years in prison or less.

They get two-thirds remission off their sentences, which means the pair would serve around two years of a six year sentence. The catch: They would have to admit guilt.

Madden told RTÉ's Marian Finucane Show that she must "think very carefully" about her decision.

Hearing

The pair were refused bail and remanded in custody at an initial court hearing last month. The judge rejected defence arguments that they had been threatened with death if they refused to carry the drugs.

Connolly had previously been reported missing from her job on the Spanish holiday island of Ibiza in the Mediterranean, and her family had launched a social media campaign to find her.

That's the problem (in bold), thinking they'd be fine was what got them in trouble ffs, If they continue to be plead innocent they would end up doing 12 years+. No brainer

give her dixie

http://www.u.tv/News/Peru-drugs-accused-plead-guilty/d69b69ed-c71f-429a-b448-01f53ef0d7cf

Peru drugs accused plead guilty

Michaella McCollum Connolly, who is 20 and from Dungannon, was arrested last month at an airport in Lima alongside her friend, 19-year-old Melissa Reid from Scotland.

Police found 24lb of cocaine - thought to be worth around £1.5m - in their luggage.

The pair appeared in court on Tuesday and pleaded guilty to attempting to fly from Peru to Spain with the drugs, which were hidden in food packages.

They face more than six years in jail and could be sentenced next week.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

lawnseed

there's talk of them doing the jail here.. whats that about? are the taxpayers here not burdened enough without taken in criminals from another country?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once