St Colmans College team, circa 1955?

Started by Orior, July 11, 2012, 04:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Can anyone name the Armagh men?

Leo Murphy is probably second on the left in the back row.

Dan McCartan?

Patsy OHagan?

Raymond McSherry (Poyntzpass) back row far right.

PT Treacy (Fermanagh), back row, third from the right.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

St Colmans, 1956

Back row, Left to Right:

Ian Walsh, Leo Murphy, ? , Dab McCartan, Eugene Conway, Pat O'Hagan, Fr McArdle, PT Treacy (Garrison, Fermanagh), Tony Williamson, Raymond McSherry (Poyntzpass, Armagh)

Fron row, Left to Right:

James McCartan , Liam Watson (Lurgan, Armagh), Fintan Mussen, Dessie Creery (Lurgan, Armagh), Dominic O'Loan (Glenavy, Antrim), Larry McCartan, Tommy Keenan, ?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Looking at that photo made me think. In the not too distant past there were a lot of lads from South Armagh and Lurgan who made it big with St Colman's. Players like Benny Tierney, Neil Smyth, Jarlath Burns, Diarmuid Marsden to name but a few. I'm out of touch now but have there been any recent additions who have made it big or even have the potential to make it big?

theskull1

Re: Dominic O'Loan (Glenavy, Antrim)

The principal of St Pats Ballymena was Dominic O'Loan. He's a Glenravel man now. It's not unlike him in that photo. Wonder if they're one of the same?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ned

Dominic O'Loan is a Glenravel (N.Antrim) man, born and bred. Was vice-principal at St Pats, Ballymena, never principal.

T Fearon

Mr Mc Sherry, as recently as last Thursday night, proudly showed me the letter he received from Croke Park informing him that he is to be the recipient of a President's Award for his service to the GAA at the Club Finals this year. Almost 60 years after that school team photograph was taken and still going strong!

Orior

Quote from: T Fearon on March 01, 2013, 04:59:13 PM
Mr Mc Sherry, as recently as last Thursday night, proudly showed me the letter he received from Croke Park informing him that he is to be the recipient of a President's Award for his service to the GAA at the Club Finals this year. Almost 60 years after that school team photograph was taken and still going strong!

Yes Raymond is proud as punch. He will be paraded with others during the St Patrick's Day Final.

Also, by strange coincidence one of the other guys on the back row plays in the four-ball behind me at my golf club in Belfast.

All of a Sludden

Saw this on Facebook so I thought I'd add it here. It's a Hogan Cup team of 1957. Some of the same names from the first photo on this thread.

Back Row: Pius Tierney(Benny's Da), Gary Fitzsimmons, Dan Mc Cartan, Joe Mulholland, Malachy Mc Manus, P T Treacy, Patsy O'Hagan. Middle Row: Ian Walsh, Liam Watson, Larry Mc Cartan, Domnic O'Loan, Finbar O'Hagan, Leo Murphy, Raymond Dowd(RIP), Joe Goodwin, Marcel Marsden. Front Row: Gregory O'Hara, Seamus Mc Conville, Patsy Mc Kenna, Tommy Keenan (Capt.), Fintan Mussen, Kevin Murphy, Paddy Walsh.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

T Fearon

This thread is turning into a St Colman's College Hogan Cup timeline. Next up must be the Hogan Cup winning team featuring Jimmy Smyth?