Do the People Care Anymore?

Started by behind the wire, March 28, 2012, 11:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

behind the wire

The political leaders North and South have been talking about the 'green shoots of recovery' for a couple of years now but its hard to see which fields these green shoots are appearing in.

Fuel is now £1.50/litre and rising

First class stamp 60p

High unemployment

Water charges about to be introduced with our water system privatised

Health service a mess - focus now on private health insurance

Legal Aid being removed thus restricting access to courts

All the while the Government saw fit to reduce tax rates for high earners, introduce the new NHS bill and continue spending millions on wars in foreign lands.

I can't help but think that if this was in the 1960's or 1970's citizens would be protesting on the streets. Today it seems that so long as Facebook is still online and there is alcohol in the shops the majority of people will just continue to go about their business.
My question is do we really care? Or do we have the representatives we deserve.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Minder

You always get the representatives you deserve, because they were democratically elected.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

QuoteI can't help but think that if this was in the 1960's or 1970's citizens would be protesting on the streets.

That is working well for Greece!

And remember after the 60 and 70s we got such strong leaders and idealogs as Thacher and Reagan in the 80s and then Blair and Ahern in  the 90s.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AQMP

Following on from Minder, it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Hashtag

If i'm totally honest, as long as I can cover the basics of living every month I don't really care about all the other stuff. As long as mortgage, food, daily running expenses are covered and my peano works. I'm happy.

Olly

Well, I'm not sitting up taking it lying down.

Myself and my three friends, Mike, Luke and Stephan have been trying to get a movement going called B.E.G.A.Y. which stands for Be Equal, Government And Yuppies! We feel that the government and yuppies are hoarding all the money and good jobs and then making the rest of the population fight it out for the scraps. I know for a fact of this politician who doesn't pay for his own petrol and puts it 'on the account' which is paid for by yuppies who sponsor the political party. It's a vicious economically brilliant circle that I'd love to be in but having got no OLevels I can't so I'm going to bring it down. Today Stephan cut down all the electric poles that had party posters on them and delivered them to the doors of the stock exchange in Belfast, leaving both interested parties know that they're both legitimate targets in bed together. 
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

thejuice

Were people not just out on the streets protesting the housing charge and the majority refusing to pay it?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SLIGONIAN

Society is built on capitalism, we now know no govt is different really and that will never change. We have to change capitalism ie the system. The crux is this can only come from the top, 200 and odd people in Ireland tell the rest of us what to do. Its a crazy system and not democratic at all. Were made to believe it is. The people have to take back the power but this requires a behauvioral and atitudal shift big time. Way too much materialism, and only caring about one self.

Also this will sound crazy to most people but i dont care. Most religions based on power inequality ie christianity, muslim, are all based on the we only get one life. The damage this causes cannot be underestimated. Most people dont care about future generations because they wont be here, its fuels a "i must consume as much as possible in this life because i only get one shot". But imagine reincarnation was true and you knew youd be sent back here when you die, would you want to come back to a dying planet, wars and more suffering? I think not.

I believe this mayan 2012 prophecy is coming, not in the end of the world type thing but a conciousness shift in human conciosuness and evolution that will hopefully bring down capitalism. It usually takes alot of pain for us change our habits. Hopefully we'll end up with people caring more about the world and others aswell as themselves.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 28, 2012, 02:45:37 PM
Society is built on capitalism, we now know no govt is different really and that will never change. We have to change capitalism ie the system. The crux is this can only come from the top, 200 and odd people in Ireland tell the rest of us what to do. Its a crazy system and not democratic at all. Were made to believe it is. The people have to take back the power but this requires a behauvioral and atitudal shift big time. Way too much materialism, and only caring about one self.

Also this will sound crazy to most people but i dont care. Most religions based on power inequality ie christianity, muslim, are all based on the we only get one life. The damage this causes cannot be underestimated. Most people dont care about future generations because they wont be here, its fuels a "i must consume as much as possible in this life because i only get one shot". But imagine reincarnation was true and you knew youd be sent back here when you die, would you want to come back to a dying planet, wars and more suffering? I think not.

I believe this mayan 2012 prophecy is coming, not in the end of the world type thing but a conciousness shift in human conciosuness and evolution that will hopefully bring down capitalism. It usually takes alot of pain for us change our habits. Hopefully we'll end up with people caring more about the world and others aswell as themselves.

Hypocrite after all the bad things you say about Kevin Walsh and that young Sligo footballer who had to get his father to have a talk with your father about your antics!

SLIGONIAN

Just wanted to point ive been ignoring you benny/pstg or whoever ya are :) for ages, what a great function that is. Its best to ignore cyber bullies and wum and lowlifes. I know you want me to reply to your incitements but i dont read them anymore. Ive no doubt you posted more incitements on here, and will you will continue to do so. Thats the kind of lovely person you are. Mirror mirror on the wall benny ;). Have a look.

thebigfella

I just vomited reading that.

Mike Sheehy

Is there any chance you or the original poster could give some specific suggestions as to what is being done wrong and what should be done instead  ::)

thejuice

Sligonian, with all due respect, that last paragraph............

Actually nevermind.

Perhaps this might provide some improvement on Irish Politics.

http://www.directdemocracyireland.org/

Let the people vote on the issues.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Legal Aid system badly needs looking at - there's millions upon millions of pounds being wasted by solicitors, barristers and all sorts of so called experts.

No harm in cutting back on this antiquated system of privilege.

SLIGONIAN

Ya i knew i left my open to ridicule, far too open, my point was just change is gonna happen eventually as more people suffer the from consequences of the rich  etc.... capitalism is built to feed the rich, communism was just glorified capitalism imo, i feel weve been dupped into thinking we are free but really we are not. The middle class are just slaves imo that keep the rat race going. Ireland is one of the most passive races culturally, only a few protested to gain our independence and that wont be enough this time. Our laws are set up by the rich aswell so they dont have to go to jail, the make the rules. Its so blantant.

I recently read a book on the mayans and an native american interpretation of 2012 prophecy, kinda made sense to me, putting it on here out of context was foolish and my dissertation is wrecking my head so hard to think straight forgive me.