An Mhí Vs Gallimh,___19:00, 9/7/2011___Pairc Tailteann, An Uaimh

Started by thejuice, June 27, 2011, 04:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Why didn't the Galway lad tap it over the bar instead of going for goal?? Galway deserved at least a draw IMO
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Farrandeelin

Galway out earlyish for their standards twice in succession. Pity both couldn't exit on the same day though.  ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thejuice

If our minors win tomorrow hopefully. This team don't seem to be able to kick points at the required rate. Win nothing if you can't kick at least 14 points on average.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 09, 2011, 08:51:51 PM
Galway out earlyish for their standards twice in succession. Pity both couldn't exit on the same day though.  ;)

Meath are no good either.
But either team will win the all-Ireland again before Mayo do, I fear.

thejuice

By the sounds of it this and how we lost the lead, while examining the teams left in the qualifiers and those to come Meath aren't going any further than the next round. It sounded much like the Kildare game where we almost completely disappeared. I don't know if its a question of fitness or lads not focused coming out for the second half.

Either way I wouldn't fancy us against any of teams left.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

slane85

Just back from the game. What a let-off for the Royals! Two poor teams but an ubelievably exiting finish. Can't see Meath going far on this exhibition. Thoght Reilly did well on Joyce 1st half esp., King looked good too.

Ard-Rí

Well ... that went ...

The Forwards were all diabolical.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

slane85

True. The turning point of the game was Cian Ward missing a 14 yard free (yes, really) when the crowd were just getting behind the home side. If he'd scored I think the game would have been won with 15 mins to go.....

Chimley

Just back. Meath scraped a win that their second-half performance didn't deserve. Farrell showed a bit of dash when he came on but the rest of the Meath forward line were very poor tonight. Sheridan had a very good first half in fairness though and I thought Gilsenan was unlucky to be called ashore.

Meath were totally at sea in the middle third for the entire seconfd half and before the last two fine points that won them the game, they hit some shocking wides.

If Meath get a favourable draw in the next round they could progress a bit more yet but they would need to improve an awful lot on tonights performance. Farrell looks a lot more of a footballer than the man he replaced so it's another positive to take if you're a Meathman.

Losing Meehan (injured in a theatrical dive) was a big blow for Galway but PJ had a good tussle all night with Reilly and the much maligned Matthew Clancy was a revelation in the second half.
Galway will be disappointed that they couldn't close out the game when they had Meath on the ropes and should have had a draw in any case but I like the look of their defence now and the young players have dipped their toes into the championship waters.
I think they will be a force in Connacht next year and should have a nice run in Division 2 to set them up

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on July 09, 2011, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 09, 2011, 08:51:51 PM

Meath are no good either.
But either team will win the all-Ireland again before Mayo do, I fear.

:D Well, unlikely as it may be, Mayo can still win the All-Ireland this year. Galway can't.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Sea The Stars

Shocking stuff from both teams - Meath just about it, but there has to be better teams beaten tonight. Which illustrates how lucky Meath are, to be still in the competition.

Kevin Reilly had a very good tussle with Joyce, and showed leadership when it was most required. But with the exception of Lenehan and McAnarney, some of his team-mates let him down big time.

The forwards were awful, simply awful. Joe Sheridan yet again kicked one fantastic point and did nothing else, Paddy O'Rourke hardly touched the ball and Cian Ward, after the last day, kicked wide after wide. Paddy Gilsenan was lively and could count himself unlucky, and Stephen Bray did alright I guess and came with the goods to kick the winning score. But there are so many things Meath need to work on in the next seven days, and we'll be blessed if we get a team as bad as Louth or Galway.

I think it was Cormac Bane at the end who had the chance? He really fluffed it. I wouldn't credit Brendan Murphy's save as much as the way he was able to worry Bane out of it. He should have put it over really but he hesitated and Murphy was out like a flash and Bane hit a poor shot.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thejuice on July 09, 2011, 09:17:36 PM
By the sounds of it this and how we lost the lead, while examining the teams left in the qualifiers and those to come Meath aren't going any further than the next round. It sounded much like the Kildare game where we almost completely disappeared. I don't know if its a question of fitness or lads not focused coming out for the second half.

Either way I wouldn't fancy us against any of teams left.

I was unimpressed by what I saw tonight. I think too much was read into Meath's display against Louth. It seems it was a case of flattering only to deceive. I don't think fitness was a problem but any Meath side back in Boylan's era would have the game sewn up by half time.
In the first half I felt every outfield Meath player had the better of his counterpart and Galway were completely out of it around the middle of the field. I was totally unprepared for Galway's second half fight back as they seemed absolutely clueless in the first one. With Reilly doing a fine job on Joyce, Galway seemed to have no plan B at all.
I don't feel Galway upped their performance significantly in the second half. It was more a case of Meath coming unstuck than of Galway stepping up a gear or two. In fairness to Meath, I think the backs were unsettled by the glare of the sun. Galway might have been better off if they had hoofed more ball down on the Meath full back line.
My overall impression leaving the ground was that Meath have a large number of fine individual players but Banty has a lot of work to do before he makes a good team out of them.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

So how would you rate Collins the ref today? Next up for him is the Connacht final & he rarely has two good games.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open