Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on May 18, 2011, 04:03:43 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 18, 2011, 03:56:30 PM
Quote from: Olaf link=topic=19288.msg961441#msg961441
b]I didnt say it was currently happening[/b] - but it has happened, (and the reaction was pretty sickening too - Jackie 'I think there were less boos that time' Fullerton) and I dont think anyone would be particularly surprised if it happened again.

1.Your post was written in the present tense.

2. I would be surprised as would anyone who attends the games.

However, I think there certainly remains many of those fans who partook in above behaviour, and I doubt they have changed that much.

How do you come to that conclusion?

They have been given many many opportunities over the last 10 years.
[/quote]
Why did Scotland fans ask if NI fans were England in disguise?

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on May 18, 2011, 10:27:20 PM
As someone from NI who follows the NI football team I can understand and appreciate why a young nationalist might prefer to opt for the Republic team.  The anthem for one ought to be changed. 

However, a point that has not yet been fully acknowledged in this thread is that as yet there have been no moves made by the FAI to attract young non-nationalists to opt for the ROI team.  As such, the FAI's approach could be construed as being sectarian in nature.  Given the attempts made to remove sectarianism from NI football, the approach adopted by the FAI does little to help improve the situation further and help make NI football more representative of everyone in NI society.
You miss the point, the vast majority of Nationalist have no allegience to NI, they would even support England first.

Applesisapples

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 19, 2011, 09:55:39 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 09:46:02 AM
Quote from: Canalman on May 18, 2011, 09:59:00 AM
Time to ditch GSTQ as the "anthem" methinks.
Not only that but the whole behaviour of the "fans" their union flags, party songs and the flying of the unofficial loyalist Ulster flag, but even at that any one who considers them selves Nationalist or Republican would still have issue playing for "Our Wee Country".

Why?
Partition

michaelg

You miss the point, the vast majority of Nationalist have no allegience to NI, they would even support England first.

What about Marty McG the Deputy First Minister and half of the Executive?

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 18, 2011, 01:58:14 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 01:11:33 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but can someone from the South declare for the North?

I'm sure it's been asked before but I still don't know the answer. I think the answer is no. It's NI that is the special case, not the RoI
GFA changed all that any one on the Island can be British or Irish and hence declare for either. Just on that the recent trend was started when the IFA insisted that Catholics with an Irish Passport needed to get a British one before they could represent NI...Something tells me it may have been Darren Gibson who was at the centre of this.

The GFA does not insist that a person from Northern Ireland  chooses between British and  Irish.

They are not mutually exclusive .

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 09:57:52 AM
b]I didnt say it was currently happening[/b] - but it has happened, (and the reaction was pretty sickening too - Jackie 'I think there were less boos that time' Fullerton) and I dont think anyone would be particularly surprised if it happened again.

However, I think there certainly remains many of those fans who partook in above behaviour, and I doubt they have changed that much.

[/quote]

Don't know. That's a question to be answered by Scotland fans. Good disguise mind - all those green shirts.

Not sure what relevance this has to the alleged  booing of Catholic players though?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 10:15:43 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 18, 2011, 01:58:14 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 01:11:33 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but can someone from the South declare for the North?

I'm sure it's been asked before but I still don't know the answer. I think the answer is no. It's NI that is the special case, not the RoI
GFA changed all that any one on the Island can be British or Irish and hence declare for either. Just on that the recent trend was started when the IFA insisted that Catholics with an Irish Passport needed to get a British one before they could represent NI...Something tells me it may have been Darren Gibson who was at the centre of this.

The GFA does not insist that a person from Northern Ireland  chooses between British and  Irish.

They are not mutually exclusive .
You are right they can be both, but I was referring to the context of the debate on football eligiblity.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on May 19, 2011, 10:12:00 AM

What about Marty McG the Deputy First Minister and half of the Executive?
Where has he stated his allegience?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 10:19:29 AM

Don't know. That's a question to be answered by Scotland fans. Good disguise mind - all those green shirts.

Not sure what relevance this has to the alleged  booing of Catholic players though?
[/quote]
It was because of the songs they were singing the Union Flags etc... I found it amusing though to see fans bedecked in Red White and Blue cheering a team in green playing against a team in Blue White and Red..confused me as well.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 10:53:46 AM

It was because of the songs they were singing the Union Flags etc... I found it amusing though to see fans bedecked in Red White and Blue cheering a team in green playing against a team in Blue White and Red..confused me as well.
[/quote]

Better not watch The Netherlands V Italy so  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

haranguerer

Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 18, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
These pieces arent ten years old, and they're only 2 of many

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/13384280.stm
'A leaked email from a Police Service of Northern Ireland officer also spoke of the "unfortunate anti-social/sectarian behaviour of a number of our fans at the Scotland game".'

UTV News - Anger at sectarian songs after NI game
15 Feb 2011 ... The Irish Football Association has condemned the actions of a group of Northern Ireland fans who were captured on film singing sectarian

I was referring to the booing of Catholic players which I specifically took you up on in repsonse to the matters raised in your initial post.

Ffs sake, I made it clear I thought that it was part of an ongoing situation (it was the continuous present tense) which  would discourage nationalists from playing for NI, I said that given the scale of the booing there were bound to be still many fans attending who had been involved, and went on to say I doubt they had changed that much.

You asked what would lead me to believe that, I presented the above pieces. You read the posts and wrote responses so you clearly know how this has all followed through.

I'll quote you in future so you will have less opportunity to be selective in what you refer to, I had hoped I wouldnt have to.

Olaf

[/quote]

I still fail to see the relevance. Are you saying that a NI fan who  waves a Union flag  at a NI  game will boo a Catholic player?   I have not heard one Catholic player booed at a game in the last 10 years.

I think that you will find that the vast majority of  fans are/were "bedecked" in green .

Italy v Holland must really confuse you too.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 11:20:58 AM

I still fail to see the relevance. Are you saying that a NI fan who  waves a Union flag  at a NI  game will boo a Catholic player?   I have not heard one Catholic player booed at a game in the last 10 years.

I think that you will find that the vast majority of  fans are/were "bedecked" in green .

[/quote]
The point I am making is that all those flags, sectarian songs and British Anthems are disrespectful to Nationalist who play for NI. If you can't see that then something is wrong. No confusion with Italy NL as most Dutch fans fly orange and white flags from what I've seen. Compare the NI fans/Association to Ulster Rugby who have worked hard to promote the flying of flags that show support only for the team and not political identity.

Olaf

Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2011, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 18, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
These pieces arent ten years old, and they're only 2 of many

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/13384280.stm
'A leaked email from a Police Service of Northern Ireland officer also spoke of the "unfortunate anti-social/sectarian behaviour of a number of our fans at the Scotland game".'

UTV News - Anger at sectarian songs after NI game
15 Feb 2011 ... The Irish Football Association has condemned the actions of a group of Northern Ireland fans who were captured on film singing sectarian

I was referring to the booing of Catholic players which I specifically took you up on in repsonse to the matters raised in your initial post.

Ffs sake, I made it clear I thought that it was part of an ongoing situation (it was the continuous present tense) which  would discourage nationalists from playing for NI, I said that given the scale of the booing there were bound to be still many fans attending who had been involved, and went on to say I doubt they had changed that much.

You asked what would lead me to believe that, I presented the above pieces. You read the posts and wrote responses so you clearly know how this has all followed through.

I'll quote you in future so you will have less opportunity to be selective in what you refer to, I had hoped I wouldnt have to.

Of course the ongoing situation does not involve the booing of Catholic players. It always  seems to be added to the list dominated by flags and emblems.

That's one less thing to be discouraged by.

I find it difficult to comprehend that the songs sung inside the ground could be offensive to Nationalists. The IFA have no control over those sung outside the ground.

On balance I would be up for a more regionally distinctive anthem.

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 19, 2011, 11:28:34 AM
Quote from: Olaf on May 19, 2011, 11:20:58 AM

Compare the NI fans/Association to Ulster Rugby who have worked hard to promote the flying of flags that show support only for the team and not political identity.
[/quote]

Have you been to Ravenhill? There are all manner of flags there ranging from NI flag, Ulster flag right through to Saffa flags and even a rising sun? You can fill your boots and  bring whatever you want. They don't stop you.

Ulster rugby is a club (like Northampton, Harlequins etc) and they therefore hand out the small  Ulster Rugby flags now and again like any other club team.

With respect you are comparing apples with oranges (forgive the pun) in any event. Ulster rugby is a  club representing no political jurisdiction whilst the  NI football team does.