Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skiddybadoo

Paul Kernan hasn't been mentioned. Could he do a job on Woods?

bingobus

Very worried about woods lads, very little to suggest he'll be starting for Monaghan.

AFS

Quote from: bingobus on May 19, 2010, 11:09:16 AM
Very worried about woods lads, very little to suggest he'll be starting for Monaghan.

Have a stab at your team.

Maguire01

He is generally worth a few points though!

eireogatron

Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2010, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: eireogatron on May 19, 2010, 09:39:40 AM
on the topic of Woods destroying V Martin. Last year Mone destroyed Stevie McDonnell so should we drop him too? ::)

I think you know that's a bit of a silly comparison. McDonnell has an ever so slightly longer track record than Martin. Whatever way you spin it, the idea on putting a man on a player that took him for 4 points and had him replaced before half time just 15 months ago, is bonkers. I'd almost suspect you had forgotten about this previous encounter when you made the suggestion.

no AFS, I dont believe it is a silly comparison. 15 months ago McDonnell was handed a roasting and everyone thought he was finished, but hes come back to look like the player of old. Why should we judge Vincie Martin on 1 game of football 15 mths ago and not expect him to have improved especially after an extremely solid championship outing?? Also, 15 months is an eternity in football - especially when you consider 15 months ago marked the first year of inter county football for said player, so I'd have no worries on Martin starting for Armagh. Look at the difference in Finn Mo, Swift, Toner, Duffy etc this year compared to last year. Theres not too many players in this team playing to the same (low) standard as under the previous regime.

bingobus

Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2010, 11:10:53 AM

Duffy
Dessie -JP- McArdle
McQuaid-Hughes-McAdam
Clerkin Lennon
Finaly - Gollogy - Malone
McManus- Corey-Freeman

Lennon or JP mightn't make it, if not Jap to midfield with possibly Woods or Kieran Hughes coming in. Walsh in for JP with Hughes going FB and McAdam in centre, walsh WHB.

AFS

Quote from: eireogatron on May 19, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
Quote from: AFS on May 19, 2010, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: eireogatron on May 19, 2010, 09:39:40 AM
on the topic of Woods destroying V Martin. Last year Mone destroyed Stevie McDonnell so should we drop him too? ::)

I think you know that's a bit of a silly comparison. McDonnell has an ever so slightly longer track record than Martin. Whatever way you spin it, the idea on putting a man on a player that took him for 4 points and had him replaced before half time just 15 months ago, is bonkers. I'd almost suspect you had forgotten about this previous encounter when you made the suggestion.

no AFS, I dont believe it is a silly comparison. 15 months ago McDonnell was handed a roasting and everyone thought he was finished, but hes come back to look like the player of old. Why should we judge Vincie Martin on 1 game of football 15 mths ago and not expect him to have improved especially after an extremely solid championship outing?? Also, 15 months is an eternity in football - especially when you consider 15 months ago marked the first year of inter county football for said player, so I'd have no worries on Martin starting for Armagh. Look at the difference in Finn Mo, Swift, Toner, Duffy etc this year compared to last year. Theres not too many players in this team playing to the same (low) standard as under the previous regime.

McDonnell's display last year was out of character, he did not do the things he has proven time and time again that he is capable of. It was the result of a temporary lack of form that he has subsequently overcome. On the other hand, I see Martin's performance that day as suggestive of fundamental problems in his game that I doubt will ever be remedied, never mind in the space of just over a year. He simply couldn't cope with Woods' movement and acceleration over short distances. He was beaten to every ball. That game wasn't the only one in which he struggled when deployed in the FB line. I also see his use further out the field by the new management as a telling indicator that they may share my reservations about him in the last line of defense.

It seems Martin's 35 minute cameo at the weekend was enough to convince you of his ability. I'm not as optimistic. My feeling is that Derry's clueless forward play in the second half, along with Lynch's move from the HF line in to be isolated and ignored at FF, played a much bigger part in diminishing his influence than anything special from Martin.

Anyway, it seems all this talk about Woods could be academic if our Monaghan posters are to be believed.

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on May 19, 2010, 11:27:49 AM

Duffy
Dessie -JP- McArdle
McQuaid-Hughes-McAdam
Clerkin Lennon
McManus- Corey-Freeman

Lennon or JP mightn't make it, if not Jap to midfield with possibly Woods or Kieran Hughes coming in. Walsh in for JP with Hughes going FB and McAdam in centre, walsh WHB.

I'd have Walshe ahead of McAdam. Any word of Greenan?

AFS

Finlay - Gollogy - Malone
Moriarty - McKeever - Duffy

McManus - Corey - Freeman
Shannon - Donaghy - Mallon

Finlay - Gollogy - Malone
Moriarty - Dyas - Duffy

McKeever

McManus - Corey - Freeman
Shannon - Donaghy - Mallon

If Monaghan line out like that, I'd like to see either of these match ups, depending on how defensive we want to go.

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on May 19, 2010, 12:03:59 PM

Duffy
Dessie -JP- McArdle
McQuaid-Hughes-McAdam
Clerkin Lennon
McManus- Corey-Freeman

I'd have Walshe ahead of McAdam. Any word of Greenan?

Think McAdam a bit more physical for the likes of Macken who could be played there. Very impressed with McAdam when he played against us this year, mind you he wasn't against much!

I doubt Greenan will make it, no football under his belt and would be a big risk for a championship debut without haven't kicked a ball in months, training no susbstitute for the real thing.

eireogatron

no AFS, I'm not convinced of his ability, I'm willing to give a fella a chance rather than hang him for a league performance well over a year ago.

Sure, scrap him from the panel and be done with it because apparently a good championship debut doesnt cut any mustard anymore, but start Dyas because he had a terrific league campaign when fit ???

timmyot501

I would start young walsh at wing half back. Hopefully JP fit so Hughes does not have to be wasted at FB. Any word on Lennon? He went off injured in a challenge against Louth a few weeks back. I would go with

Duffy
Dessie      JP      Corey
Walsh    Hughes  McAdam (Maybe McQuaid if form is improved)
      Clerkin    Lennon
Finlay      Malone   Gollogly
McManus  Woods  Tommy

Onion Bag

Quote from: Orior on May 19, 2010, 09:09:52 AM
Sorry, my point was that I believe (though I could be wrong) that you're only allowed to play one person at number 7. You listed our two best wing backs at number 7. Great idea, but not sure if we'll get away with it.

take look at my team again, Duffy and Finn Mo have both been included in my team, i was suggesting playing either or at 7 and the other @ 4,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Main Street

Is Damien Freeman not in the frame?
Both K Hughes and Walshe look very good prospects.

Considering the Armagh defensive swarm, Vinny may well line out at ff and if Rory Woods is fit, a useful loose cannon battering ram option.
I'd say Monaghan's free taking accuracy is getting better and better and among the best in the country.
In a 50/50 game our 50 is looking good.

Schkite

If JP isn't fit then I'd be hopeful Vinny will start full back. There's a chance if Woods isn't fit to start then Banty might feel like starting Vinny full-forward if he really wants a target man there. but I'd say he line out in the backs. Hughes at full-back is a huge waste as he's so dangerous attacking from the half-back line.

Young Walsh definately deserves to start in my opinion. I have to say, when I heard he was brought onto the panel I thought he'd spend the year on the bench getting used to the set-up but he's been first class at wing-back having been thrown in at the deep end in division one because of the missing players, he really settled in well. McAdam is another option alright and could well start too, he's come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.

Lenon is the main worry for me, any word on whether he'll be fit or not? If not that messes up the forwards, Finlay would be moved to midfield and we lose alot of his game in the forwards then. The main thing for me here is that the ball is delivered in quickly to Tommy and McManus, these lads are well capable of doing damage when the supply is right. If the ball is being passed around slowly the Armagh backs will be more than ready for it, especially if a sweeper is deployed again.