Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: AFS on May 17, 2010, 11:46:50 AM
Confirmed for Casement according to corn02.

And what does that mean exactly?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2010, 12:44:38 PM
Glad to see it taken away from Clones, Armagh have played there plenty but why give any advantage, no matter how miniscule, to the opposition.

Hard to see this game being anything other than a repeat of yesterday - attritional.  The open spaces of Casement will definitely suit better both teams better than the likes of a tight Celtic park.  Maybe we'll see a bit more positive approach from Armagh, but getting a result is still the priority.

Worrying to listen to Ronan clarke on the bbc saying he hoped to be back "sometime during the championship", that sounded long-term to me.

Sorry to give Monaghan the kiss of death, but they were my pre-champ tip for Ulster.

I don't mind Casement as a venue, not much going on outside the grounds though in terms of atmosphere. Great pitch IMHO. I live in Belfast but plann to be at home that weekend (outside Clones!!) and was hoping it'd be Clones/Armagh..  ::)

haranguerer

Armagh are just right to have it in casement. Wouldnt make much sense to leave no stone unturned in your preparations, then to agree to play it in the oppositions venue of choice. While Armagh might be comfortable enough in Clones, and bring plenty of support, if its in belfast they'll still bring plenty, while Monaghans will be reduced somewhat. Should be an entertaining game - monaghan had both highest scores for and against in nfl 1, didnt they?

AFS

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 17, 2010, 01:18:48 PM

Eh, that corn02 was saying that Casement has been confirmed as the venue. He's usually reliable enough.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: AFS on May 17, 2010, 02:00:19 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 17, 2010, 01:18:48 PM

Eh, that corn02 was saying that Casement has been confirmed as the venue. He's usually reliable enough.

Dead on Sir. On thinking about it why would Armagh give Monaghan *any* advantage in what already will be a very tight game I'd imagine. I know that Armagh have done well in Clones over the last decade but the current crop wouldn't be too familiar there, i.e. they're a younger team. Should be a good one anyhow. Apart from last years desparately dull debacle there's been some good contests between us and good respect between both teams/counties over the years. Having worked in bars in Clones for years at match days I'd know as many Armagh supporters (if not more!) than Monaghan ones..

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: haranguerer on May 17, 2010, 01:32:12 PM
Armagh are just right to have it in casement. Wouldnt make much sense to leave no stone unturned in your preparations, then to agree to play it in the oppositions venue of choice. While Armagh might be comfortable enough in Clones, and bring plenty of support, if its in belfast they'll still bring plenty, while Monaghans will be reduced somewhat. Should be an entertaining game - monaghan had both highest scores for and against in nfl 1, didnt they?

Pos Team P W L D F A Points
1 Maigh Eo 7 6 1 0 113 93 12
2 Corcaigh 7 5 2 0 120 113 10
3 Áth Cliath 7 5 2 0 104 93 10
4 Ciarraí 7 3 4 0 107 98 6
5 Gaillimh 7 3 4 0 118 128 6
6 Muineachán 7 2 5 0 116 127 4
7 Doire 7 2 5 0 100 111 4
8 Tír Eoghain 7 2 5 0 105 120 4

bennydorano

I really hope Armagh resist the temptation to throw Jamie Clarke in from the start for this one.  I'd like to see Henderson keep his place.  We've a dilemma in MF, Vernon clearly revels in the MF role moreso than any other position, Lavery has done little wrong thou.  I felt his injury yesterday ended up giving us a better balance.  Dyas (injury free) is good enough as well for a Hf slot although I reckon Mackin will stay for his physical presence, and if Lavery doesn't recover in time (looked like a hamstring to me yesterday) there's a spot available in defence again.

Hearty
A Mallon, donaghy, Shannon?
Duffy, CMCKeever, F MO
Cv & Toner
Dyas?, AK, Nippy
Mallon, Stevie, Henderson

Orior

I see that Enda McNulty was on the bench on Sunday sitting beside Martin O'Rouke. Would Martin be worth his place instead of Swift or Mackin?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 17, 2010, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2010, 12:44:38 PM
Glad to see it taken away from Clones, Armagh have played there plenty but why give any advantage, no matter how miniscule, to the opposition.

Hard to see this game being anything other than a repeat of yesterday - attritional.  The open spaces of Casement will definitely suit better both teams better than the likes of a tight Celtic park.  Maybe we'll see a bit more positive approach from Armagh, but getting a result is still the priority.

Worrying to listen to Ronan clarke on the bbc saying he hoped to be back "sometime during the championship", that sounded long-term to me.

Sorry to give Monaghan the kiss of death, but they were my pre-champ tip for Ulster.

I don't mind Casement as a venue, not much going on outside the grounds though in terms of atmosphere. Great pitch IMHO. I live in Belfast but plann to be at home that weekend (outside Clones!!) and was hoping it'd be Clones/Armagh..  ::)

At uni are ya?

hobit hunter

Quote from: Orior on May 17, 2010, 09:21:39 PM
I see that Enda McNulty was on the bench on Sunday sitting beside Martin O'Rouke. Would Martin be worth his place instead of Swift or Mackin?

Lord preserve us!  NO!

Apple Crumble

I think so if fit, though if Swift had his boots on yesterday.  He was in some decent shooting positions.

I'd play a fit Martin O'Rourke.

lemallon

Martin O Rourke defintely if fit instead of Brian Mallon

Orior

Quote from: hobit hunter on May 17, 2010, 09:56:07 PM

Lord preserve us!  NO!

I predict there will be quite a few yellows cards and if we are going to finish with 15 men on the pitch (which I doubt) then the manager will need to use all his substitutions.

Of course If push comes to the shove (which it will) then I'd prefer a win instead of having all 15 players on the pitch after 70 mins.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

A lot of derry people seem to be of the opinion that Derry didn't close it out in the first half when they could or should have. (which I think is nonsense but anyway...)

One of the biggest turnarounds in the game IMO was Vernon moving to midfield. This has a two pronged effect on Armagh - 1. it strengthened their midfield as Vernon clearly revels there 2. whoever was moved onto Mark Lynch , not sure who it was, put the shackles on him.

One of the reasons Armagh got so comfortable second half was in the first half Derry's big threat was Mark Lynch. Vernon just didn't look comfortable there. Second half Lynch hardly touched leather. Who marked him - was it McKeever or the new guy who came on? (whose name escapes me)

Also I think Armagh are weak in the two WHF positions. While MOR has his flaws I would say there could be a good few arguments to put him on too...

mackers

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2010, 10:01:51 PM
A lot of derry people seem to be of the opinion that Derry didn't close it out in the first half when they could or should have. (which I think is nonsense but anyway...)

One of the biggest turnarounds in the game IMO was Vernon moving to midfield. This has a two pronged effect on Armagh - 1. it strengthened their midfield as Vernon clearly revels there 2. whoever was moved onto Mark Lynch , not sure who it was, put the shackles on him.

One of the reasons Armagh got so comfortable second half was in the first half Derry's big threat was Mark Lynch. Vernon just didn't look comfortable there. Second half Lynch hardly touched leather. Who marked him - was it McKeever or the new guy who came on? (whose name escapes me)
Also I think Armagh are weak in the two WHF positions. While MOR has his flaws I would say there could be a good few arguments to put him on too...
Vincie Martin.

Don't think that POR will start MOR...........doesn't strike as POR's type of player. Donal Murtagh stated earlier in the year that the management team wanted strong athletic players in the HF line and MOR doesn't fit the bill. I wouldn't like to see Swift in particular dumped just because of one sub standard performance.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.