The Day The Immigrants Left (Tonight) BBC1 9pm

Started by pintsofguinness, February 24, 2010, 07:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/tv/todays-tv/2010/02/24/the-day-the-immigrants-left-bbc1-9pm-115875-22065010/

anyone watching this tonight? Heard them on about it on the TV this morning - I can't wait to see how the wasters get on in a jobs!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

As expected, the wasters wouldnt work in a fit.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 24, 2010, 09:21:39 PM
As expected, the wasters wouldnt work in a fit.
You're right. I tried not to be prejudiced but I knew by looking at them that there wasn't a days work in most of them.

thejuice

Reminds me of the days I used to do strawberry picking and also packed spuds in Sam Dennigans.

Same happened with the strawberries where I used to work. Irish with higher aspirations moved away and were replaced with people from Eastern Europe who could work flat out. The older generation Irish could also work flat out too. Where as us young 'uns weren't the best.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

pintsofguinness

I'd worry about health in that town, seems to be a lot of people coming down sick.

That's 5 now.

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 24, 2010, 09:38:23 PM
I'd worry about health in that town, seems to be a lot of people coming down sick.

That's 5 now.

:D
Testing Accessibility

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Still, appreichiate the job have a bit more now, competing with people from a lot further a field than before.

trileacman

Quote from: thejuice on February 24, 2010, 10:10:29 PM
Still, appreichiate the job have a bit more now, competing with people from a lot further a field than before.
I take it your an english teacher.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggysego

What about your boy who couldn't pronounce Yuri, so wanted to call him Billy instead  ::)
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on February 24, 2010, 11:45:31 PM
What about your boy who couldn't pronounce Yuri, so wanted to call him Billy instead  ::)
NOt as bad as the boy on the building site who'd been working on the continent and then was complaining about foreigners stealing English jobs.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: thejuice on February 24, 2010, 09:33:59 PM
Reminds me of the days I used to do strawberry picking and also packed spuds in Sam Dennigans.

Same happened with the strawberries where I used to work. Irish with higher aspirations moved away and were replaced with people from Eastern Europe who could work flat out. The older generation Irish could also work flat out too. Where as us young 'uns weren't the best.

The funny thing I remember in Australia was all the Europeans, Canadians and Asians (in Australia that would be the Koreans, Taiwanese, Japanese, Hong Kong Chinese) backpackers all looked like they wouldn't sweep the floor back home let alone wake at 4am work in the freezing cold for a few hours quickly changing to extreme heat for the rest of day for anything between $2 & $20 an hour (aud$ was worth about half the €uro at the time) in often dangerous conditions, an back breaking fruit picking/veg picking/packing etc. yet they gladly did it in Australia, send them home and they/we would whinge if asked to do a 10'th of the difficulty of work we did over there.

Or the tradie lads I knew who couldn't get work and unloaded backbreaking loads out of metal containers in 40'c+ all day every day for SFA, or those that went out on fishing trawlers for 2 weeks and normally would get see sick on the Shannon.

I tell you the Irish esp. showed their metal of there in Australia (often able to do it loaded from the night before) but in Ireland not a feckn hope. It does show the Irish (and other pampered nationalities can do it when called to the task).

Furniture removal was another one a few lads used do.

Actually now that I think of it Foreigners are way better workers than the locals, sure over there we where the bloody immigrants.  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

BennyHarp

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 25, 2010, 12:24:15 AM
Quote from: thejuice on February 24, 2010, 09:33:59 PM

The funny thing I remember in Australia was all the Europeans, Canadians and Asians (in Australia that would be the Koreans, Taiwanese, Japanese, Hong Kong Chinese) backpackers all looked like they wouldn't sweep the floor back home let alone wake at 4am work in the freezing cold for a few hours quickly changing to extreme heat for the rest of day for anything between $2 & $20 an hour (aud$ was worth about half the €uro at the time) in often dangerous conditions, an back breaking fruit picking/veg picking/packing etc. yet they gladly did it in Australia, send them home and they/we would whinge if asked to do a 10'th of the difficulty of work we did over there.

Or the tradie lads I knew who couldn't get work and unloaded backbreaking loads out of metal containers in 40'c+ all day every day for SFA, or those that went out on fishing trawlers for 2 weeks and normally would get see sick on the Shannon.

I tell you the Irish esp. showed their metal of there in Australia (often able to do it loaded from the night before) but in Ireland not a feckn hope. It does show the Irish (and other pampered nationalities can do it when called to the task).

Furniture removal was another one a few lads used do.

Actually now that I think of it Foreigners are way better workers than the locals, sure over there we where the bloody immigrants.  ;D

I suppose its to do with the necessity to work. In a foreign land you have to work as you need the money to live and will do anything it takes. I remember working down the pipelines in San Francisco in the sewers with rats running all over the place, i thought it was great pay but there is no way i'd do that job in Ireland!

Those lads in that show last night knew that they could go back to their nice safe jobseekers allowance and housing benefit so they dont have the need nor necessity to work - plus they were useless ba*tards!
That was never a square ball!!

deiseach

Didn't see the programme, but there's a very good article about it on the Beeb's website:

Are jobless Brits scared by hard work?

Money quote:

QuoteAnd comparing Brits with Eastern Europeans is not presenting a level playing field, says Professor Sennett.

The average Eastern European worker is young and "putting aside cash to go home maybe to start a car washing business or open a small shop".

"You are working to an end and so you are willing to put up with the crap. You are not looking at your job as a future but as a temporary activity. It's about concentrating into a short time as much labour as you can. They're not going to do that all their lives."

delboy

Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2010, 09:01:42 AM
Didn't see the programme, but there's a very good article about it on the Beeb's website:

Are jobless Brits scared by hard work?

Money quote:

QuoteAnd comparing Brits with Eastern Europeans is not presenting a level playing field, says Professor Sennett.

The average Eastern European worker is young and "putting aside cash to go home maybe to start a car washing business or open a small shop".

"You are working to an end and so you are willing to put up with the crap. You are not looking at your job as a future but as a temporary activity. It's about concentrating into a short time as much labour as you can. They're not going to do that all their lives."

Very true, a lot of workers are coming over from countries were average pay is a fraction of what it is here, so even on minimum wage they are working for multiplies of the wage they would be on back home, factor into that also that its something they come to do for a year or two before heading home and you can understand why they do it.

If someone wanted to pay me four or five times the UK national average pay to pick spuds (or some other such labour intensive job)  in poland for a year or two i'd be over in a flash as would many others im sure.