Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDenver

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 21, 2010, 11:08:41 AM
Not meant to be patronising, but you come across as a 14 year old with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe if you could actually come up with a reason against a visit by the Queen, instead of just complaining about the past. The troubles had an effect on us all, but thankfully most of us aren't stuck in a timewarp. We often accuse our protestant neighbours of living in the late seventeenth century, that 1690 to you, when in fact some of our nationalist friends still think its 1916/1969 (delete as appropriate). I am sure the Queen is all to aware of what went on in this country, much of it in her name, but thankfully she is able to put the past behind her. If she wants to come to Ireland on a visit then Ireland should be mature enough to welcome her and remember she is your head of state, wether you like it or not.
If like many in this country you chose to live in the past then you should remember people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You make sure and get your butchers apron nicely washed and ironed for that day anyway  :P

Nally Stand

I think i'm wasting my time debating this with you and have no intention of continuing to do so. There's no point in telling me you're not being patronising but then proceeding to tell me I sound 14 years old and then inform unintelligent little old (i mean young) me what your "seventeenth century" reference meant. There's a real arrogance about someone who feels that anyone who disagrees with him clearly is too young to understand.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 21, 2010, 10:58:16 AM
Firstly, Trevor if you don't agree with my arguments, how about discussing them rather than patronisingly accusing me of being to young to know what i'm talking about? I remember far too much of the troubles and my own family and neighbours have been affected directly in ways i won't be going into on this board. And Lynchbhoy, can't you accept that whether you think it is understandable or not, many people have valid reasons to feel uncomfortable at such a visit?
thats why I said that I reckoned that I am prob in the minority with my views on this ...

my own family have had plenty to look back on and moan about, but we can do nothing about what has happened. W e wont get any enquiry or retribution, so that phase is over and we are moving on - and most others in time will also.
Time is a great healer as the old cliche goes, and as unionism, loyalism and opponents to a re-unification will find out (though most already know) - money is a great healer too !

Nally Stand

I agree that time is a great healer. I just feel that this time has not passed but hopefully by the time Ireland is freed, time will have passed and a visit by a british monarch would be more appropriate. For now, such a visit would only drum up a bitterness and division which would far outweigh any good which would come from it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 21, 2010, 11:58:37 AM
I agree that time is a great healer. I just feel that this time has not passed but hopefully by the time Ireland is freed, time will have passed and a visit by a british monarch would be more appropriate. For now, such a visit would only drum up a bitterness and division which would far outweigh any good which would come from it.

Well it seems you'll be doing your best to see that it does anyway.

Nally Stand

No hardy. I can only speak for myself and would make a safe guess that i'm not alone. You nor nobody else has the right to tell me or anyone else how I/they should feel about a potential visit, we can only debate it's virtues or lack there of. If such a visit took place I can only speak for myself in saying I would simply boycott it. Others will fight over it and the discussion on this board will be a lot more courteous than the tensions a visit would bring for many people. Anyway i mentioned this royal...

Nally Stand

..visit as an example of FF "republicanism" which came out of the original discussion of the thread. I.E. the electoral fortunes of SF. The royal visit topic i brought up was pounced upon by many here but i think nothing new is being said. Time to get back to the actual point of the thread me thinks.

orangeman

Seems like SF have walked away from Stormont after the talks broke down without agreement.

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on January 22, 2010, 02:56:20 PM
Seems like SF have walked away from Stormont after the talks broke down without agreement.

Not before time.

EC Unique

Let the games begin!

Quotealks between the DUP and Sinn Fein on the devolution of policing and justice powers are over, Sinn Fein have said.

Alex Maskey confirmed that the current round of negotiations had ended. He said the party's meeting in Dublin on Saturday would map the way forward.

However, Mr Maskey added:"Our door remains open."

"They (SF) will decide whether to take the nuclear option of pulling Martin McGuinness out of the coalition," said BBC NI political editor Mark Devenport.

Mr Maskey pointed out that his party leadership had informed the DUP of its decision on Wednesday night.

He was responding to Acting First Minister Arlene Foster who said her party's negotiators had waited at Stormont on Thursday and had no-one to negotiate with.

The DUP and Sinn Fein have been engaged in a war of words on how to progress on transferring the powers to Belfast.

In his blog for the Belfast Media Group, Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams said the "game was up, but not over".

"The failure of the DUP thus far to come up to the plate during the current round of negotiations shouldn't come as any great surprise," he said.

"They want the scrapping of the Parades Commission and progress on the ground - in other words marches through Catholic areas."

He accused the DUP of "looking over their shoulder" at hardline unionist Jim Allister whose TUV party opposes powersharing with Sinn Fein.

It is understood the latest round of discussions concluded on Wednesday.

Mr Maskey said: "There was no question, let me be very clear, Peter Robinson was under no illusion. There was no question of any talks between both of our parties scheduled for yesterday or, indeed, today."

Alliance Party leader David Ford said politicians needed to "grow up and reach an accommodation".

He said there was an urgent need for all parties to work together and that the political process was "sliding towards a crisis".

Zapatista

Quote from: EC Unique on January 22, 2010, 03:39:06 PM
Let the games begin!

I think it would be a mistake to allow the door to stay open after today. If it does it will look like the DUP are the ones calling the shots. SF need to decide and they need to decide now. The complete failure of London and Dublin is clear. Brown has no bargining power and Cowen couldn't give a f**k.

Hardy

RTÉ haven't heard about this yet - at least not up to 3:30 Nuacht.

Zapatista

I love the BBC one. Picture of McGuinness with the caption under 'Martin McGuinness could be removed from Stromont' :D

He should walk from Stormont and remove the rest of them.

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on January 22, 2010, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on January 22, 2010, 03:39:06 PM
Let the games begin!

I think it would be a mistake to allow the door to stay open after today. If it does it will look like the DUP are the ones calling the shots. SF need to decide and they need to decide now. The complete failure of London and Dublin is clear. Brown has no bargining power and Cowen couldn't give a f**k.

Let the mind games begin more like !!!

Does anybody really care at this stage ??

Nally Stand

With the Iris carry on putting pressure on the DUP from one side, and the TUV from the other, the DUP will be sh1tting a brick at the thought of fresh assembly elections should McGuinness walk. Why else would they suddenly be OK with a voting pact with the UUP? SF have the DUP over a barrel here, if SF quitting the negotiations now doesn't make the DUP take the threat to collapse the assembly seriously, perhaps SF should now call their bluff and collapse it. SF would clean up in fresh elections anyway.