Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Quote from: muppet on February 15, 2013, 10:51:39 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 15, 2013, 10:12:39 PM
What exactly is the problem here? The president of one of the main political parties has flown to the US at the front of the plane, so what, would you really expect him to sit in cattle class on a trans Atlantic flight, seriously?
Adams was flying to the US to receive treatment for a particular medical condition, again I don't see the problem, he was getting the best available treatment. If any one of us were in his situation and money wasn't an issue we would do exactly the same thing. I don't usually agree with GA. but I can't see what the issue is here other than the fact that it is Adams, if any of the other political leaders were to do this it wouldn't get a mention.

He had an operation on one of his eyes before Christmas in the RVH, again he got the best available treatment, no one seemed to have an issue with this?

The problem is the rest of us don't run on a manifesto opposing 'two tier' health care and indeed private health care in general. But it is genuinely funny to excuse your departure from your health service ideology, on health grounds!

Like it or not there is a two tier health care system and until that is fixed it may be necessary to go abroad or even north for the best available treatment.
None of us would have done anything different in the circumstances.

Oddly enough I finished watching the second series of Borgen last night, I don't know if you are familiar with the series but the Danish PM was in a similar situation and did exactly what GA did. She wanted a better health care system for her people, but when it came to her own family she went private.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on February 15, 2013, 11:11:32 PM
Let me get this straight.

Gerry Adams is diagnosed with cancer and accepts an offer from some rich boy to get the best treatment he can?

Fcukin shame on him.
He didn't have cancer.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on February 15, 2013, 11:16:35 PM
Gets worse. What did he have?
I don't know - just that Gerry specifically said it wasn't cancer. But that's irrelevant. And I'd imagine most people have no issue with him getting care per se.

The issue is the contradiction between the notion that SF reps are just like the man on the street, earning the AIW, when the reality is, they're as privileged as the rest of the political class. And specifically, that SF criticise the idea that there is a two-tier health system and that "wealth can buy you better care in the private health sector".

AQMP

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 15, 2013, 10:12:39 PM
What exactly is the problem here? The president of one of the main political parties has flown to the US at the front of the plane, so what, would you really expect him to sit in cattle class on a trans Atlantic flight, seriously?
Adams was flying to the US to receive treatment for a particular medical condition, again I don't see the problem, he was getting the best available treatment. If any one of us were in his situation and money wasn't an issue we would do exactly the same thing. I don't usually agree with GA. but I can't see what the issue is here other than the fact that it is Adams, if any of the other political leaders were to do this it wouldn't get a mention.

He had an operation on one of his eyes before Christmas in the RVH, again he got the best available treatment, no one seemed to have an issue with this?

I heard the taxi driver who took him to hospital didn't charge him a fare.  Hypocritical bastard!!

The anti-Adams brigade (do I hear a barrel being scraped in the background?) reminds of Louise Mensch's argument that you couldn't be anti-capitalist and buy coffee or own an iPhone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvAkhW-XNI

Wise to f**k up lads and get out a bit more ::)  I'm as big critic of SF as the next man (and not always from the safety of behind a keyboard) but using this as an argument to score political points is both puerile and pathetic.

Meanwhile, I'm planning a trip to Paris in August.  Would anyone check the price of an Aer Lingus flight for me?

Rossfan

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 16, 2013, 09:00:45 AM
Quote from: hardstation on February 15, 2013, 11:16:35 PM
Gets worse. What did he have?
I don't know - just that Gerry specifically said it wasn't cancer. But that's irrelevant. And I'd imagine most people have no issue with him getting care per se.

The issue is the contradiction between the notion that SF reps are just like the man on the street, earning the AIW, when the reality is, they're as privileged as the rest of the political class. And specifically, that SF criticise the idea that there is a two-tier health system and that "wealth can buy you better care in the private health sector".
Hypocrisy is the one word that sums it all up. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: AQMP on February 16, 2013, 10:40:04 AM
The anti-Adams brigade (do I hear a barrel being scraped in the background?) reminds of Louise Mensch's argument that you couldn't be anti-capitalist and buy coffee or own an iPhone
It might remind you of it - that doesn't mean it's the same thing.

Quote from: AQMP on February 16, 2013, 10:40:04 AM
Wise to f**k up lads and get out a bit more ::)  I'm as big critic of SF as the next man (and not always from the safety of behind a keyboard) but using this as an argument to score political points is both puerile and pathetic.
But it's essentially a political argument. It comes back to the party's average industrial wage and health policies.

muppet

Any able to point out if there are any tax considerations here?

Gift tax, for example, and/or BIK?
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

Gift tax applies to anyone tax resident in Ireland at the date of the gift. I don't know Gerry's tax resident status.

There is an exemption for the purpose of discharging qualifying medical expenses of an individual permanently incapacitated by physical or mental infirmity.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

muppet

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 16, 2013, 02:17:19 PM
Gift tax applies to anyone tax resident in Ireland at the date of the gift. I don't know Gerry's tax resident status.

There is an exemption for the purpose of discharging qualifying medical expenses of an individual permanently incapacitated by physical or mental infirmity.

Are you joking?
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2013, 03:09:58 PM

Are you joking?

I presume he would haVe to be a resident of the Republic of Ireland to be a T.D.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

gerrykeegan

Are you joking?

Would you believe I don't know where he lives. You can also live in this country for various periods and not be tax resident. To be tax resident you need to spend 183 days in the country or 280 days over a two year period. I assume he is, I just stated I did not know his tax residence status.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

All of a Sludden

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 16, 2013, 03:24:37 PM

Are you joking?

Would you believe I don't know where he lives. You can also live in this country for various periods and not be tax resident. To be tax resident you need to spend 183 days in the country or 280 days over a two year period. I assume he is, I just stated I did not know his tax residence status.

Although Gerry used a county Louth address for his election papers he has never lived at that address. He still lives in Belfast as far as I know.

Maguire01

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 16, 2013, 03:38:43 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 16, 2013, 03:24:37 PM

Are you joking?

Although Gerry used a county Louth address for his election papers he has never lived at that address. He still lives in Belfast as far as I know.
On the Irish Times link I posted above: "The Sinn Féin leader, who is TD for Louth, is tax-resident in the State, according to a party spokesman."

All of a Sludden

He does not live at the address on his election papers, in fact an election worker called to the house numerous times to try to confirm his presence at the address but was unable to do so. The house belongs to  a member of Sinn Fein, who looks after the financial side of things.  ;)