Priest stuns congregation by resigning over affair.

Started by Doogie Browser, November 16, 2009, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Iceman on November 18, 2009, 07:25:23 PM
All these other jobs Pints get compensated for their hours.
You can't seriously compare presidents and priests......???
I'm not trying to compare, I'm saying that there are jobs wiht far greater demands on people's time and with far greater responsibilities than a priest would have.  The people in those jobs have family lives, why couldnt a priest? Other religions allow the equivalent of priest's to marry, why can't the catholic church?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stew

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 18, 2009, 07:44:00 PM
Not arguing for or against celebacy but being allowed to marry hasn't created an unending stream of recruits to any of the Protestant churches.  In most cases the vast majority of recruits to ministry in the Protestant churches are now women!

Aye but there are a half a billion Catholic men and there would be in all probability at least one hundred thousand new recruits if the Church did allow priests to marry.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Iceman

Look we cannot just throw out these wild numbers without anything to back them up.  Its all assumptions.

If Priests were to Marry then the job description would have to seriously change.  The Protestant equivalents people have mentioned here do not have the same level of service required of them as their Catholic counterparts.  Priests would also have to be paid at least 3 times what they are currently paid in order to support a family.  With that said, what people are proposing is less work for three times the money? 

The Church is changing.  People want change but few people are prepared to do anything about it themselves.  As the number of Priests decline then the number of Lay people who assist and volunteer at the Church should increase.  Married Deacons can increase.  My own parish here in America has 3 Married Deacons.  They also have ton of people who sit on committees for everything under the sun and manage things i suspect Priests still manage in Ireland.
So of all the people shouting for change, how many of you are involved with your Church? How many of you read at Mass, or help with any form of Stewardship, how many give of your time or would be prepared to give of your time to take the burden of some tasks off your Priest?
If Priests were allowed to Marry would you start going to Mass then?

Half of yous give off about something that has no effect on you.

If you want change you need to change yourself. 

See yous at Mass ;)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

saffron sam2

Thread is pointless without pictures of the lady in question.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet