7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on June 10, 2021, 11:33:11 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on June 10, 2021, 08:23:47 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 10, 2021, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 10, 2021, 01:27:35 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 10, 2021, 12:16:06 PM
Best of luck to him, hope he's given time, money and patience.

Realistically he'll be gone by christmas, maybe february at the latest. The next appointment will have to be much better and the preparation should start now.

LOL

Next manager shortlist

Rafa Benetiz
Roy Keane
Jose Mourinhou
Jack Ross
Neil Lennon
Jimmy McGuinness
Paul from the Green Brigade

You know something. I'm not even joking when I say this. I would love to give you a good slap.

It's funny cause it's true. Celtic have no chance to attract a manager like Benitez and that Eddie Howe would turn them down with no other job available speaks volumes.

Rangers took a punt on Gerrard and it worked out for them. Celtic are taking a punt on this Australian lad. He's even accepted a rolling 1 year contract as he is so unproven. What decent  manager would seriously accept terms like that if he was appointed as manager of a club

What you mean is he is unproven in Europe. The arrogance of people over this appointment is unreal

ned

Quote from: dublin7 on June 11, 2021, 03:26:56 AM
Quote from: ned on June 11, 2021, 12:17:49 AM

Realistically he'll be gone by christmas, maybe february at the latest. The next appointment will have to be much better and the preparation should start now.

LOL

Next manager shortlist

Rafa Benetiz
Roy Keane
Jose Mourinhou
Jack Ross
Neil Lennon
Jimmy McGuinness

You know something. I'm not even joking when I say this. I would love to give you a good slap.

It's funny cause it's true. Celtic have no chance to attract a manager like Benitez and that Eddie Howe would turn them down with no other job available speaks volumes.

Rangers took a punt on Gerrard and it worked out for them. Celtic are taking a punt on this Australian lad. He's even accepted a rolling 1 year contract as he is so unproven. What decent  manager would seriously accept terms like that if he was appointed as manager of a club

Post full of complete bull. Do a bit of research before contributing.

That's not much of a contribution yourself. At least mine has some truth in it compared to yours.

It is a risky appointment and how many other managers are working under 1 year rolling contracts? Doesn't exactly scream long term and/or confidence from the Celtic board that he's the man for the job. Rodgers wasn't appointed on a 1 year deal, but at least he had a proven track record in management.

Every Celtic manager in recent years was on a 1 year rolling contract including Rodgers. Rodgers contract was renegotiated after his success.
Slippy G has won 1 trophy out of 9, St Johnstone won more last season alone.

tonto1888

Quote from: ned on June 11, 2021, 08:17:16 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 11, 2021, 03:26:56 AM
Quote from: ned on June 11, 2021, 12:17:49 AM

LOL

Next manager shortlist

Rafa Benetiz
Roy Keane
Jose Mourinhou
Jack Ross
Neil Lennon
Jimmy McGuinness

Post full of complete bull. Do a bit of research before contributing.

That's not much of a contribution yourself. At least mine has some truth in it compared to yours.

It is a risky appointment and how many other managers are working under 1 year rolling contracts? Doesn't exactly scream long term and/or confidence from the Celtic board that he's the man for the job. Rodgers wasn't appointed on a 1 year deal, but at least he had a proven track record in management.

Every Celtic manager in recent years was on a 1 year rolling contract including Rodgers. Rodgers contract was renegotiated after his success.
Slippy G has won 1 trophy out of 9, St Johnstone won more last season alone.

Don't let the truth get in the way

dublin7

Steven Gerrard has been a success at Rangers. Not only did Gerrard win the league (going unbeaten in it) You can't really think winning the league cup and Scottish cup is better than winning the League

Is it any wonder Celtic are a shambles? How can a manager plan long term under a 1 year deal? Good luck getting a decent manager to agree to that.

Do Celtic fans think he'll be sacked if Celtic finish 2nd next season or how close does he have to finish to Rangers to be kept on for another year?

bennydorano

Must do better Dublin7, pretty base level winding

straightred

Quote from: dublin7 on June 11, 2021, 08:42:05 AM
Steven Gerrard has been a success at Rangers. Not only did Gerrard win the league (going unbeaten in it) You can't really think winning the league cup and Scottish cup is better than winning the League

Is it any wonder Celtic are a shambles? How can a manager plan long term under a 1 year deal? Good luck getting a decent manager to agree to that.

Do Celtic fans think he'll be sacked if Celtic finish 2nd next season or how close does he have to finish to Rangers to be kept on for another year?
Drivel. Celtic imploded last season. Much (but not all) of this was self inflicted. Zero pressure was put on them in the league and that's why they won it in a canter. Different story in the cups were yet again slippy showed that he can't handle it. In Europe (were they do concede red cards and penalties) they did well to a point but then imploded under pressure and proceeded to use every means possible to deflect from their own faults.  For these reasons I'm not as pessimistic as others about next season. The gap isn't that big and there is no way they can carry the same amount of luck either.

As for the one year contract I couldn't case less. What is far more important is providing him with the funds to sign players. That's the piece that worries me.

trailer

A six month contract would do yer man. He'll be gone by Christmas.

dublin7

Quote from: bennydorano on June 11, 2021, 09:56:56 AM
Must do better Dublin7, pretty base level winding

I thought it was a fair question. If people put their bitterness over Steven Gerrard to one side they'd have to accept he's done a great job rebuilding that Rangers side and also Ranger have a better team than Celtic at the moment.

I think they'll win the league again next season so I genuinely wanted to know is finishing 2nd going to see him get another contract and how close does he have to be to Rangers to justify another year.

general_lee

It's really hard to judge Gerrard properly. I reckon I could have managed Rangers to a league title such was the collapse under Lennon.

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on June 11, 2021, 11:50:56 AM
A six month contract would do yer man. He'll be gone by Christmas.

A 1 year deal creates instability. If you are a top player and a celtic manager with a one year contract is trying to convince you to join his team and he is explaining how you might fit in etc. Surely you would be thinking about how long this guy has got and what happens me then. Its quite unbelievable they only give him a year imoand shows no faith in a man they are trying to tell us all is a great lad altogether.

ardtole

ned

People misunderstanding what a rolling contract means and using it to back up an argument.

Main Street

If he's any good his contract will roll and if he's less than good the contract will stop rolling.
I'd say there was a dissenter on the board (probably the Roy fanboy)  and the contract was so made. Dom is behind him all the way.
There are slim pickings left at the club after years of neglect,  of player contractual neglect, even Brendan would struggle to put together a title winning team in his first season

I like this guy, he's mature, he's been around life, has a personality and comes across determined and unshakably confident.  He´s got the job and  time will certainly tell, the odds are stacked against him but I'm gunning for the underdog.

He can certainly talk a good talk.
"The opportunity that has been given to me is one of the greatest honours in football and the responsibility to lead our magnificent football club into the future is one that I will cherish dearly.
"Celtic is one of THE names in world football, of that there is no doubt – a giant of a club, a proper footballing institution and so much more – real history, real substance, real authenticity and real soul. I know Celtic is a true way of life for so many people and I know the demands which come with this position – I am ready to do all I can to meet those demands.
"I will be doing everything I can to get our great Club back on top and, at the same time, deliver the kind of football which our fans appreciate. We want to entertain our fans and we want to win, these are the objectives which I always set myself and which I now begin work on.
"When you think of Celtic, you think of supporters and my dream is to see our fans back at Celtic Park with us as soon as possible. We all hope things are changing for the better and can see our fans soon as they are vital to everything I want to do.

balladmaker

Rodgers was on a 1 yr rolling contract to start off with as well, before getting a 4 yr deal.  Makes sense for the club to protect itself.

ned

Quote from: balladmaker on June 12, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
Rodgers was on a 1 yr rolling contract to start off with as well, before getting a 4 yr deal.  Makes sense for the club to protect itself.

Precisely but doesn't suit some poster's argument.
By all means slag the club for this appointment and their overall incompetence and negligence but don't make claims which aren't true.