TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Thought Handmaids tale was very tame this series was beginning to think it had lost its edge... I needn't have worried!!!

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on June 16, 2021, 08:51:57 PM
Thought Handmaids tale was very tame this series was beginning to think it had lost its edge... I needn't have worried!!!

It's been awful since the first season but this one is laughably bad. Getting very tired of Elisabeth Moss directing herself to stare endlessly into the camera.

gallsman

Quote from: joemamas on May 31, 2021, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 30, 2021, 11:48:04 PM
Just finished the final series of The Americans and would have to say it's the best series I have watched in a long long time. it can be a bit of a slow burn at times but the acting , storylines and the 80's soundtrack were a fantastic combination.

It's just brilliant TV. Up there with the best of them.

+1

Met a guy once who works in secret service or something similar, he did not specifically say. Anyhow, conversation turned to TV series, he said of all the ones (Homeland, 24, Jack Ryan)
the Americans was by far the most realistic.

Been watching the Americans again after it came up here. Third time going through it. Up to Season 2 Episode 9. Have lost count of how many people they've killed. They just snuck into a covert Contra training camp and killed 6 people.

Very realistic.

thewobbler

I've started Americans and I'm enjoying it. But it does have a Sons of Anarchy style lack of awareness that they're basically the basic serial killers in history

Tony Baloney

This Horizon programme on BBC2 looks interesting.

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on June 16, 2021, 09:43:21 PM
Quote from: joemamas on May 31, 2021, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 30, 2021, 11:48:04 PM
Just finished the final series of The Americans and would have to say it's the best series I have watched in a long long time. it can be a bit of a slow burn at times but the acting , storylines and the 80's soundtrack were a fantastic combination.

It's just brilliant TV. Up there with the best of them.

+1

Met a guy once who works in secret service or something similar, he did not specifically say. Anyhow, conversation turned to TV series, he said of all the ones (Homeland, 24, Jack Ryan)
the Americans was by far the most realistic.

Been watching the Americans again after it came up here. Third time going through it. Up to Season 2 Episode 9. Have lost count of how many people they've killed. They just snuck into a covert Contra training camp and killed 6 people.

Very realistic.
The couple who its sorta based upon were according to neighbours very quiet and in no way up the sheanigans of the Americans duo. But there are themes taken on by the series such as the children, sleeper spies having children!!!  and did anybody consider how that would affect the children.

Franko

The Jeremy Clarkson farming thing on prime is very good.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Franko on June 22, 2021, 02:10:51 PM
The Jeremy Clarkson farming thing on prime is very good.
It is. Watched first episode last night and thought it was excellent. From the reviews I've read it seems to be going down well with farmers and non-farmers

Main Street

I watched Tehran on Newbridge Exile's recommendation, I thought it to be excellent viewing, in the genre of The Bureau (French).

ardtole

Where can you watch the Americans, i dont see it on netflix at the minute.

Saffrongael

Quote from: ardtole on July 04, 2021, 09:55:34 AM

It's on Amazon Prime but you have to pay
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 04, 2021, 10:32:12 AM

Its on Starz as well

Targetman

Anybody watch Startup on Netflix, third season is on Amazon Prime, found it decent enough

joemamas

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 04, 2021, 10:32:12 AM

Well worth it, a little slow in the beginning but one of the best I have seen. Smoking hot Keri Russell does not hurt.

BenDover

Quote from: Targetman on July 04, 2021, 08:44:41 PM
Anybody watch Startup on Netflix, third season is on Amazon Prime, found it decent enough

ah feck, just started S2, without Prime anywhere else I can view S3 when the time comes?