TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 31, 2021, 12:23:58 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2021, 01:18:48 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 30, 2021, 11:48:04 PM
Just finished the final series of The Americans and would have to say it's the best series I have watched in a long long time. it can be a bit of a slow burn at times but the acting , storylines and the 80's soundtrack were a fantastic combination.
And the quality was remarkably consistent throughout the 6 series.
I have just started watching The Mosquito Coast, an imaginative take on the book,  it's early days  yet but it looks very good. Some similarities with the Americans, as in the children.
Is Mosquito Coast just on Apple TV?
I don't know, I'm versed in the olden ways  and the ways of the wise ancestors.  The tech nous to download torrents from the hidden worlds still flows in my veins.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2021, 11:29:50 PM
Just finished the final series of The Americans and would have to say it's the best series I have watched in a long long time. it can be a bit of a slow burn at times but the acting , storylines and the 80's soundtrack were a fantastic combination.
I have just started watching The Mosquito Coast, an imaginative take on the book,  it's early days  yet but it looks very good. Some similarities with the Americans, as in the children.
I don't know, I'm versed in the olden ways  and the ways of the wise ancestors.  The tech nous to download torrents from the hidden worlds still flows in my veins.
Limewire?

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 31, 2021, 11:37:54 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2021, 11:29:50 PM
Limewire?
Yes,  most current programs/films  can be DL from Limewire.

Main Street

Quote from: joemamas on May 31, 2021, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 12:01:05 PM

It's just brilliant TV. Up there with the best of them.

+1

Met a guy once who works in secret service or something similar, he did not specifically say. Anyhow, conversation turned to TV series, he said of all the ones (Homeland, 24, Jack Ryan)
the Americans was by far the most realistic.
Maybe in comparison to those examples, but it wasn't realistic at all  as in resembling the true stories of what actually happened,  but it was an excellent drama series  which eventually took on the serious question of 'what about the children?'.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 31, 2021, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 10:02:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2021, 12:30:04 PM
Ah lads, catch yourselves on. The Americans is great viewing, thoroughly enjoyable and compelling but quite frequently absolute nonsense. Elizabeth climbing into the trunk of the car in the repair shop and taking the trip into the FBI office makes me laugh every time (which it's not supposed to).

Not a patch on a series like The Wire.

You have seen Season 5 of The Wire, right!?? You know the one where McNulty invents a serial killer because he's pissed off that the police budget was cut. I mean that wasn't nonesense!
Spoiler alert! But yes it definitely lost its way by that stage.
Series 5??
No spoiler alert, but murders aplenty were happening and nobody gave a sh8t because they were drug /gang/black related.
And Omar??? the hit man on his tail??   and just  how Omar's life was inauspiciously  ended and people fawn about the ending of the Sopranos?

Even on its worst episode, the Wire towered above the mire

lurganblue

The Americans?  First series was decent.  I gave up on it soon after.

Mare was good viewing alright.

gallsman

I've said it a number of times in this thread and, granted The Americans is set in the 80s so technology has changed things massively, but if you want a great show that actually portrays spycraft accurately, watch The Bureau (Le Bureau des Légendes).

J70

Mare of Eastown was excellent overall. Good story and script, excellent acting. Kate Winslet even had the Philly accent down.

Don't know what the f**k HBO are up to though. All of their online apps crashed, nationwide in the US, on Sunday night the second the finale was about to start. Not the first time its happened to them either with popular series.

I ended watching the finale Monday morning (Memorial Day holiday).

LilySavage

Just finished Mare of Easttown and I wont be recommending it. A bog standard episode of Law and Order beats it. Very overrated imo.

Ronnie

True Detective
The Killing
The Crown
The Bridge
Faulty Tours

In that order.  Originals only.  No 2nd series crap

lurganblue

The Pact on BBC. 6 episodes of pure sh*te.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: lurganblue on June 06, 2021, 12:15:44 AM

So why did you watch all 6?

Windmill abu

Just watched "Time" episode 1 on BBC. It has the makings of the best drama series of the year. Sean Bean is excellent and Stephen Graham is even better. It is grim but keeps you engaged with the back stories.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Windmill abu on June 06, 2021, 10:13:31 PM
Just watched "Time" episode 1 on BBC. It has the makings of the best drama series of the year. Sean Bean is excellent and Stephen Graham is even better. It is grim but keeps you engaged with the back stories.
Have it taped on the basis that if it has both those actors it is already off to a good start. With those 2 acting and Jimmy McGovern behind it, I'd guess at it being "gritty".

lurganblue

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 06, 2021, 12:19:18 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on June 06, 2021, 12:15:44 AM

So why did you watch all 6?

I'm nothing if not committed  ;)

Watched the first episode of Time last night too. Absolutely brilliant.