Civil Service Pay Cuts

Started by thebandit, January 15, 2009, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Civil Servants suffer a drop in pay

Yes
No
Pay Freeze

Croí na hÉireann

The problem with the civil service is management or lack of it to be more specific. Most managers are too busy pushing their own agendas to properly manage the people under their supervision. If there was tighter reins there'd be a higher work rate and therefore a lower number of staff needed.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Gs Man

Ok, just to get this straight.  this thread is getting at Civil Servants in the South and not us Nordies? 

(Im on my lunch break by the way, just in case anyone thinks Im wasting tax payers money posting on the Board).
Keep 'er lit

Tankie

Quote from: jaykay on January 16, 2009, 11:03:55 AM
"The starting salary of a clerical officer is €23,221, rising to €35,727 after 12 years of service. This latter figure is less than the average industrial wage in the private sector."

Funny how none of ye picked up on this point  ::)

What qualification does a €23k clerical worker have? probably just an average leaving cert....
Grand Slam Saturday!

thebandit

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 16, 2009, 10:52:11 AM

Apart from the Irish Prison Service, support staff within the HSE are the worst offenders among State employees.

The porters, carers, cleaners and caterers within the health service lost 8pc of their working year to sick leave.

Variations

But there were significant variations within the health service, with medical and dental staff recording an absenteeism rate of 0.93pc, nursing staff recording 5.69pc and "other patient and client care" recording a rate of 7pc.

Do they get paid for the days that they are off sick?

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Tankie on January 16, 2009, 01:03:06 PM
"The starting salary of a clerical officer is €23,221, rising to €35,727 after 12 years of service. This latter figure is less than the average industrial wage in the private sector."

What qualification does a €23k clerical worker have? probably just an average leaving cert....

If they are good enough to do the job why does it matter what qualifications they have. Are you saying everyone in the civil service should have a degree now?
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Tankie

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 16, 2009, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: Tankie on January 16, 2009, 01:03:06 PM

If they are good enough to do the job why does it matter what qualifications they have. Are you saying everyone in the civil service should have a degree now?

No I am not saying that they should have a degree but 23k for somebody with no degree is quite a good starting wage. And to know that your wage will rise to 35k without you ever up skilling is a nice perk along with the pension and knowing that you will never be unemployed.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Double Cross

Quote from: Donagh on January 16, 2009, 10:05:48 AM
So should we take it from this that you disapprove of large families and expect us all to be wage slaves like your good wife and yourself? So who's going to pay for your pension?

I certainly do not disapprove of large families, but I don't think any family should be a burden on the state. It seems to be socially acceptable in some areas to live off the state, in fact in many areas it is the norm. The government have to accept a large degree of responsibility for the way things have gone. They hand out too much money to those who do least in our society, the long term unemployed. It is unacceptable in this day and age that people can sponge off the state for 5, 10 or even 20 years.
I believe that the government should drastically reduce benefits to those who have abused the system for years, instead of trying to take money from those that are already in employment and paying their own way.
You needn`t worry about my pension, I look after that, not the state.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: thebandit on January 16, 2009, 01:14:40 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 16, 2009, 10:52:11 AM

Apart from the Irish Prison Service, support staff within the HSE are the worst offenders among State employees.

The porters, carers, cleaners and caterers within the health service lost 8pc of their working year to sick leave.

Variations

But there were significant variations within the health service, with medical and dental staff recording an absenteeism rate of 0.93pc, nursing staff recording 5.69pc and "other patient and client care" recording a rate of 7pc.

Do they get paid for the days that they are off sick?

Most definitely, they'd be out on strike if they weren't
To be honest its the union types that really get to me, useless f**kers that look after all the other useless f**kers, if u were doing ur job properly in most cases you'd have no need for the unions
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rossfan

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 15, 2009, 10:54:41 PM
As I understand it public pensioners get the same percentage increases as public sector workers get......that was the way when there were pay increases. ::)
 AFAIK you are wrong re the pension issue though.

You could be next on my blacklist.  :D
I double checked with sis-in-law who works for a Council in Dublin (the one which builds free stadiums  ;) .. now there's some needless public expenditure)..
Pensioners get the same percentage increases as public sectore workers do in pay deals (or got and did )
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2009, 06:44:54 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on January 15, 2009, 10:54:41 PM
As I understand it public pensioners get the same percentage increases as public sector workers get......that was the way when there were pay increases. ::)
 AFAIK you are wrong re the pension issue though.

You could be next on my blacklist.  :D
I double checked with sis-in-law who works for a Council in Dublin (the one which builds free stadiums  ;) .. now there's some needless public expenditure)..
Pensioners get the same percentage increases as public sectore workers do in pay deals (or got and did )

You could be kinda right there, if you know what I mean. ;D
Public servants get pensions that are linked to pay deals okay but they don't receive any additional money for any new work practices or changes of working conditions and the likes that come into being after they retire. Retired teachers, for instance, receive whatever percentage increases their active colleagues get out of collective pay bargaining but those who retired before payment for school yard supervision came along won't receive any hike in their pensions to reflect this.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

shotstopper1

It's the private sector in principle, the banks the developers (politicans), who have got us into this mess, so why do the public sector have to pay for their mistakes? FF and tye economists  fucked up and now everyone looking for a scapegoat the easy target the public service.Everyone knew that the public service was a permanent and pensionable job and everyone had a chance to join it but they would have rather gathered 6-800 euro a week minimum on the construction sites whilst the majorioty of the public serive earned half that.

armaghniac

QuoteIt's the private sector in principle, the banks the developers (politicans), who have got us into this mess, so why do the public sector have to pay for their mistakes?

They shouldn't have to, but someone needs to solve the problem of finding the money to pay for them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: muppet on January 15, 2009, 10:18:50 PM
I would have no problem with targetting the public sector if the Irish banks are nationalised, redefined as 'the public sector' and then massive sacking and pay cuts imposed.

I second the comment about the IBEC Grim Reaper. His name is Turlough O'Connor and despite his clients (banks, Michael O'Leary, Dermot Mannion etc.) taking millions of euros out of the economy for themselves he wants only the workers to pay for it.

BTW rumour of a big North Dublin employer in trouble. 1,000+ jobs.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0211/srtechnics.html
MWWSI 2017