The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on May 29, 2021, 09:48:54 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 29, 2021, 07:31:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 29, 2021, 12:45:39 AM
The hurlers, Gaelic footballers, soccer players, golfers and athletes Ireland have produced, and a woman boxer is the greatest sportsperson? Aye, dead on  ::)
I'd pay big money to see the likes of you and Tony Baloney step into a ring with Katie. I'd absolutely love to see it.  ;D

Aye, and David Clifford would leave me on my arse and my head spinning if I marked him in a match. And Roy Keane in his day wouldn't have give me a kick of the ball either. But what does that prove?

Raving about women's boxing, lads. Jesus Christ. Get a grip.
I didn't say it would prove anything, I'd just love to see someone batter the head off you  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

The hurlers, Gaelic footballers, soccer players, golfers and athletes Ireland have produced, and a woman boxer is the greatest sportsperson? Aye, dead on  ::)
I'd pay big money to see the likes of you and Tony Baloney step into a ring with Katie. I'd absolutely love to see it.  ;D

Aye, and David Clifford would leave me on my arse and my head spinning if I marked him in a match. And Roy Keane in his day wouldn't have give me a kick of the ball either. But what does that prove?

It's all subjective but to just discount her because of "women's boxing"  :o

Milltown Row2

If there was a grading to it that would give you a points score then you might be able to see who's the best Irish sportsperson.

World number one
Years in the top ten
Earnings
Participation (global sport, non minority)
Supporters
Popularity
Viewing figures

As it is it's just who you prefer or typically Irish, it's who we are against
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Earnings too skewed depending on sport. E.g. a championship footballer would probably make more than a lot of sports.

In fact the bottom five criteria outdated rule a lot of sports out.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2021, 11:02:33 AM
If there was a grading to it that would give you a points score then you might be able to see who's the best Irish sportsperson.

World number one
Years in the top ten
Earnings
Participation (global sport, non minority)
Supporters
Popularity
Viewing figures

As it is it's just who you prefer or typically Irish, it's who we are against

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Sports_Person_of_the_Year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GiveItToTheShooters

Her sporting achievements outweigh everyone else's, by far.
Ireland's greatest sportsperson. It's that simple.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 29, 2021, 10:42:47 AM

It's all subjective but to just discount her because of "women's boxing"  :o
Agreed.
Blatant sexism. Her gender is irrelevant. Wonder will the mods clamp down on that.
Seems to be quite bitter about boxing too, likely went to a few training sessions and got head bate off him so must be still quite resentful.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 29, 2021, 11:39:40 AM

Just cause you says it's that simple doesn't make it correct or fact. It's personal choice.

There's as many charts/polls having someone else at the top, it's that simple
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 29, 2021, 11:39:40 AM
Yeah it's pretty straightforward.

trileacman

She's not Ireland's greatest sportsperson. I'd say less than 1% of the Irish population has seen Taylor fight. I wonder how many of these people who seem to think she's Ireland's greatest sport person have ever been to a female boxing match.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

laoislad

Quote from: trileacman on May 29, 2021, 12:32:51 PM
She's not Ireland's greatest sportsperson. I'd say less than 1% of the Irish population has seen Taylor fight. I wonder how many of these people who seem to think she's Ireland's greatest sport person have ever been to a female boxing match.
This post could go in the Things that make you go What the f**k Thread.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on May 29, 2021, 12:32:51 PM

If an English soccer team was playing and a woman was boxing in a ring there would be no contest, the soccer loving public will watch it over Katie Taylor,  personally I'd watch a Cork Kilkenny camogie match before women's boxing.

That doesn't take away her achievements, think she's brilliant, seen her in Bray for her homecoming, by chance, and my kids at the time loved it, but it's not a big sport

GiveItToTheShooters

MR2 there with another couple of posts for the Things that make you go what the f**k thread.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 29, 2021, 12:55:49 PM
MR2 there with another couple of posts for the Things that make you go what the f**k thread.

That won't change my view on it, it's a minority sport like the stuff McGregor competes in.

Boxing even in male boxers support isn't even in the top ten watched sports

imtommygunn

Tbh when any Irish person is competing on that world stage I would turn any soccer match over to watch them. Most gaa matches though would be conflicted for an Antrim one.

On the athletics Sarah Healy a big name to watch out for in future years.