Laois - Bits & Pieces

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 31, 2019, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Blow-in

Dosent look like Chris Conway will manage a Laois inter county anytime soon from his latest interview. Also maybe a harsh dig at Portlaoise CBS not in the A grades?

Helix.

Quote from: Batman!!! on November 03, 2020, 01:50:40 PM
Dosent look like Chris Conway will manage a Laois inter county anytime soon from his latest interview. Also maybe a harsh dig at Portlaoise CBS not in the A grades?
Didn't think he was too harsh with CBS Portlaoise. Definitely should be pushing more towards the A long term if it meant bringing up the standards of football across the board. Even winning in the B would be a start.

on the hop

Sean Dempsey to Ballinteer St. John's. I think one of the Brennan's is there. Good to see him answering pat gilroy's call for more volunteers in Dublin 😀

clonadmad

Quote from: Helix. on November 03, 2020, 05:38:51 PM
Didn't think he was too harsh with CBS Portlaoise. Definitely should be pushing more towards the A long term if it meant bringing up the standards of football across the board. Even winning in the B would be a start.

900 odd boys in the CBS

A school that's completely underperforming in both codes

A microcosm of where juvenile gaa stands in the county

on the hop

Quote from: clonadmad on December 08, 2020, 10:03:04 PM
Quote from: Helix. on November 03, 2020, 05:38:51 PM
In the school in the 80's-90's, always B grade in both codes. I don't know where they are now. Main rivals were ballyfin who I think reached the B hurling final in 92 and won in 1993 in Leinster. They had both john Lyons and the cuddy twins plus boarders David bourke who hurled league with tipp and Ronan Mooney who played Offaly in football for years but was a good hurler. I don't think ballyfin even won the B football at that time and they would have had a massive pick including Willie Kirby who won a senior with Kerry at midfield.

Ok I am starting to ramble......
900 odd boys in the CBS

Keyser Söze

900 odd boys in the CBS

Completely agree with that part.
Jesus there is some potential there. You'd imagine it would be a football powerhouse almost despite itself.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 09, 2020, 10:30:10 AM
900 odd boys in the CBS

Jesus there is some potential there. You'd imagine it would be a football powerhouse almost despite itself.

It could and should be a Dual powerhouse

You have low numbers in each year that play sport,lower numbers again playing Gaa and the same cohort are playing nearly all sports.

I saw numbers a while back and participation numbers were shocking,that coupled with indiference/lack of leadership/lack of emphasis on playing sport and you have a perfect storm of underachievement

compare and contrast with the ladies that share the same campus

And that's before you start talking about Dunamaise and Portlaoise College

merman

The difference between the two schools mentioned is alarming.
One treasures and celebrates sport; the other seems to see it as an inconvenience.

I note one of the Vice-Chairperson candidates encouraging the idea of a combined 'Laois Schools' side.
I understand the appeal and I'm not necessarily opposed to it but I do worry that it further absolves the schools of any 'responsibility' in developing a stronger emphasis on GAA. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.

Knockbeg College continue to be competitive and to their credit, seem intent on enhancing their reputation as a 'Football School'. I saw some mention of a 'Knockbeg Army' who go to support the teams. Only a small thing; but it helps champion excellence and promote high standards.
Mountrath CS seem to be holding their own as say a Tier 2/3 hurling school within Leinster.
They should have a decent Senior team in a couple of years when the current Camross U15s come through.
St Fergals, despite reduced numbers in recent years, seem to maintain good standards and have that strong tradition.

Heywood, Mountmellick, Coláiste Iosagáin, Clonaslee and the Portlaoise schools don't seem to be making the same impact despite some having very strong feeder clubs.

Like with clubs, I suppose, it comes down to volunteerism. Teachers/Parents willing to commit the time year in year out.

Laois Rising

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 09, 2020, 10:30:10 AM
900 odd boys in the CBS

How are you surprised- lads are not going to start playing GAA going into secondary school. Need to rejuvenate juvenile football in the town and get lads involved playing from 5, 6, and 7 years of age. Need a healthy club scene for that in the town.

clonadmad

Quote from: merman on December 09, 2020, 12:53:42 PM
The difference between the two schools mentioned is alarming.
One treasures and celebrates sport; the other seems to see it as an inconvenience.

I note one of the Vice-Chairperson candidates encouraging the idea of a combined 'Laois Schools' side.
I understand the appeal and I'm not necessarily opposed to it but I do worry that it further absolves the schools of any 'responsibility' in developing a stronger emphasis on GAA. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.

Knockbeg College continue to be competitive and to their credit, seem intent on enhancing their reputation as a 'Football School'. I saw some mention of a 'Knockbeg Army' who go to support the teams. Only a small thing; but it helps champion excellence and promote high standards.
Mountrath CS seem to be holding their own as say a Tier 2/3 hurling school within Leinster.
They should have a decent Senior team in a couple of years when the current Camross U15s come through.
St Fergals, despite reduced numbers in recent years, seem to maintain good standards and have that strong tradition.

Heywood, Mountmellick, Coláiste Iosagáin, Clonaslee and the Portlaoise schools don't seem to be making the same impact despite some having very strong feeder clubs.

Like with clubs, I suppose, it comes down to volunteerism. Teachers/Parents willing to commit the time year in year out.

There was a Laois Schools football side to go into the Senior Schools A Football last year and it never happened.

There's 19 Senior A Football schools in Leinster and just the one from Laois.

At the next census there's 26k expected to living in Portlaoise Parish

A 5th GDA needs to be put into Portlaoise Parish as per the strategic Plan,

he would be flat out dealing with just the schools in the Parish alone at first and second level.

The sucess of the Colaiste has a lot to do with one man,if he wasnt there they would probably be in rag order too

High Fielder

When you think of the ways we divide and subtract from our potential player pool, it's amazing that we are competitive at all. We have hurling and football a lot more evenly split than most counties. And then in the middle we have Portlaoise, which is only supplying one club.

There isn't that much juice left to squeeze, but what's going on in Portlaoise should be of real concern to the CB. I don't think it even dawns on them. If anything, I think there are a lot of people who are happy enough to see Portlaoise slip back into the shadows. I see no future for us at any level unless Portlaoise is providing us with the strongest of backbones.

Butch Cassidy

Have the numbers playing GAA in Portlaoise reduced since they moved grounds? Their underage record has been poor in recent years, they should have 2-3 teams competing. I think Kilmacud have 4 minor teams.

Keyser Söze

There are a number of ex InterCounty hurlers & footballers teaching in the CBS. Would that be correct?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Mossy Bruce

I just want to drop in to say Happy New Year to everyone! It's been one frikkin' insane year :o, here, as I am sure it has been back there. I've only been able to check the forum, here, a few times this last year. I hope all of you and your families are healthy and happy.

Here's to something resembling normalcy in 2021!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!