The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: orangeman on May 17, 2009, 11:58:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2009, 11:29:00 PM
Jaysus Magickingdom, were you blocking out all mentions of 1982? His father is Brendan Lowry, played corner forward in 1982 (and for many years after that as well). His uncles Seanie and Mick also played that day.

Nice mention of this on the Sunday Game of the whole connections.

He would have been a nice price last week to pick up the trophy ??
Think I heard the commentators say he was 3000/1
You'll Never Walk Alone.

cornerback

Jaysus Magickingdom, were you blocking out all mentions of 1982? His father is Brendan Lowry, played corner forward in 1982 (and for many years after that as well). His uncles Seanie and Mick also played that day.

Had to laugh at skysports yesterday - They were saying that he comes from a sporting family & that his dad & two uncles were professional gaelic footballers  :D

Orior

Quote from: cornerback on May 18, 2009, 10:13:51 AM

Had to laugh at skysports yesterday - They were saying that he comes from a sporting family & that his dad & two uncles were professional gaelic footballers  :D

Maybe Sky know something we dont. Like who made Steve Guttenburg a star?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

boojangles

Heard about a lad down in Laois who knew Lowry and put 500 each way on him 3 weeks ago at 300/1. 187,500 he picked up I tink.

tyronefan

Paddy Power reported today that punters in their Tullamore offices had placed bet totaling €150 on Shane Lowry each way at odds of 300-1
their total exposure was around € 50,000

corn02

Quote from: boojangles on May 18, 2009, 11:14:59 AM
Heard about a lad down in Laois who knew Lowry and put 500 each way on him 3 weeks ago at 300/1. 187,500 he picked up I tink.

I'd say there will be a lot of these stories.

Irish sportsmoment of the year?

DennistheMenace

Whats that coming over the hill is it Lowry, is it Lowry.

muppet

What have Shane Lowry and Brian Cowen got in common?

They are both from Offaly.

And they are both amateurs.
MWWSI 2017

corn02

Intresting piece in the Telegraph, touch harsh on Harri.

McIlroy - the next Tiger Woods (according to Tiger Woods) - is rarely upstaged on a golf course. The boy from Hollywood is a bona fide superstar.

But when Lowry finally dribbled in a two-footer to win the Irish Open on Sunday, McIlroy was just another well-wisher in the crowd. That taoiseach Brian Cowen was also among the drenched spectators tells you a fair bit about the extent to which Lowry captivated his nation.

And no wonder. It is hard to imagine a more Irish victory, or a more Irish champion.

For a land beloved of dreamers, romantics and underdogs, the chubby son of a Gaelic football star is folk hero material from his cap to his spikes.

That his amateur status meant he couldn't accept a penny of the £440,000 winner's cheque only made the script all the more beautiful. Because despite appearances, we still haven't reached the stage where money is all that matters in golf. And Lowry's celebrations were a wonderful reminder of that.

Hopefully, Lowry's win was also a reminder of sorts to Ireland's greatest golfer, who again missed the cut at Baltray.

While Lowry was trudging from the boggy car park to the clubhouse each morning, Padraig Harrington was commuting to the course by helicopter from his Dublin home. That is not meant as a criticism of Harrington, who deserves all the trappings of his success. But you can't help feeling the double Open champion could do with a little more Lowry in his life.

So obsessed and fanatical has Harrington become with technical swing changes, his concerned team recently staged an "intervention" to drag him away from the practice range (or in Harrington's case, the biomechanics lab).

In his search for the perfect golf swing, Harrington appears to be driving himself just a little bit crazy.

We've become used to seeing Harrington hit the kind of fearless, ferocious three-wood which Lowry struck onto the 18th green on the first play-off hole yesterday. Given time, he surely will again. But at the moment, he is paying the price "fixing" something that wasn't broke.

For Lowry and McIlroy however, golf is just great fun. There is a refreshing joy and a freedom about they way they trust their talent. And it's not solely down to youth - Phil Mickelson plays that way too

So I hope Harrington, like McIlroy, was watching yesterday. He might even have learned something.

But in all likelihood, Harrington would have spent Sunday, like most days, pounding balls on the range.

corn02

While I agree that Harrington had no need to change, the article makes fun of him for working hard.

Perhaps Harrington will prove me wrong in the long run and will come back even better.

magickingdom

i was watching from behind the couch for most of it az so i must have missed that bit ;)

Orior

Harrington said afterwards that he needed the "intervention".

But perhaps its left him in mid transition, so his swing is neither here nor there. Bit like mine only 100 times better.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

the Deel Rover

fair play to Lowry delighted for the lad it was also great to see Rory Mc Ilroy supporting him, hopefully some of his family had a few quid on him, was he really 3000/1 ?  i know thats what the commentators said. Saw a very happy and tearfull ( i think) Sean Lowry on the tv , sean played with us and managed us for a year or 2 and is a great golfing fan so there would have been no prouder Uncle. Brendan Lowry said it was like winning 20 Ai Finals. I heard his granny on the radio and she said it was well worth changing his nappies when he was a baby :D Any of ye hear gift grub this morning it was brilliant 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Billys Boots

QuoteSaw a very happy and tearfull ( i think) Sean Lowry on the tv , sean played with us and managed us for a year or 2

My missus was saying that alright last night, that one of the Lowrys spent a while in Crossmolina - did he pull on the green and red while he was there too?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rossie11

Quotedid he pull on the green and red while he was there too?[/quote
He did the big oaf and scored a screamer of a goal v the Rossies in a Connacht final..