The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Egans left boot

Quote from: screenexile on March 19, 2021, 12:55:51 PM
What absolute nonsense!

You can't compare lads who have finished their careers with someone who is barely half way through his.

Faldo didn't win his first major until he was the age McIlroy is now. . . he has another 17-18 years at the top level he will have plenty of opportunities to win again and he absolutely will!

Again entitled to your opinion this is just mine.my view is his best days are behind not ahead I may be proved wrong but just my opinion.

Kidder81

There is an argument that McIlroy has had his "time" as a major winner, we won't know obviously for another few years but just because he has already won 4 doesent mean he will win another 4 or 5. He might but I doubt it.

And I doubt McIlroy will play to he is 50, and the chances of him being competitive past 40 are pretty minuscule I would have thought.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 19, 2021, 03:46:30 PM
There is an argument that McIlroy has had his "time" as a major winner, we won't know obviously for another few years but just because he has already won 4 doesent mean he will win another 4 or 5. He might but I doubt it.

And I doubt McIlroy will play to he is 50, and the chances of him being competitive past 40 are pretty minuscule I would have thought.

Darren won the Open at what age?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

I'd think the chances of Rory not encountering a hot streak in the months of April to July for any of the next 10 years is next to none.

It's much more likely that he will shoot his lights out in at least 3-4 majors before he puts golf in the back seat. It might be this year, might be 2025, might be 2029. Might even be all three.

This might not actually be enough to win another major. If the likes of Bryson, JT, DJ or Morikawa shooting their lights out on same weekend, it'll be a struggle.

But I'd fancy he will win a couple more.

Angelo

Ok guys.

I'm going to make a post here and leave it at that dare I be accused of ruining another thread by telling people something they don't want to hear.

McIllroy is the Lleyton Hewitt/Andy Roddick of golf.

Won a few majors early in his career when the competition was poor, a new generation has come along and he's been left in the shadow. He's effectively a busted flush and highly unlikely to win another major.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

thewobbler

Two things Angelo:

1: It would be much fairer on Rory if his career was over before making such a comparison.

2. Of this new generation who apparently are leaving him behind, none of them have won as many majors as him, and only Koepka (1 year younger) has the same amount.

So whatever comparison you're making, it's contorted.

Angelo

Quote from: thewobbler on March 19, 2021, 05:05:45 PM
Two things Angelo:

1: It would be much fairer on Rory if his career was over before making such a comparison.

2. Of this new generation who apparently are leaving him behind, none of them have won as many majors as him, and only Koepka (1 year younger) has the same amount.

I promised I wouldn't "ruin" this thread but I'll answer this one before I go.
He hasn't won a major since 2014, 24 successive majors without one. Since he won his last major:

Koepka (4)
Spieth (3)
Johnson (2)
Others (15x1)

He's been left behind by the others. I really don't think he will win another major. Don't really follow golf but I think his career trajectory has so many similarities to Hewitt/Roddick. McIlroy was lauded as this star of golf who was going to dominate the sport for the next 20/30 years, it hasn't worked out like that for him.

Andy Murray only won 3 slams but he was a good sight better than Hewitt or Roddick. There's competition there now that I don't think was really there when McIlroy arrived on the scene and that's why he was fallen off.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Angelo on March 19, 2021, 04:51:01 PM
Ok guys.

I'm going to make a post here and leave it at that dare I be accused of ruining another thread by telling people something they don't want to hear.

Won a few majors early in his career when the competition was poor, a new generation has come along and he's been left in the shadow. He's effectively a busted flush and highly unlikely to win another major.

You did this shite 6 months ago

Estimator

Quote from: Angelo on November 13, 2020, 01:19:22 PM
Is the golfing equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt flopping at another major?

We've already been down this road Angelo, bizarrely on a thread where you've previously said you never visit....

Quote from: Angelo on March 18, 2021, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 18, 2021, 08:33:38 AM
Quote from: general_lee on March 17, 2021, 08:55:14 PM
The board's days are numbered

This forum is not Ed Rickett's echo chamber as much as your ego says that is should be.

You can still post about cans of Guinness, violence against women, golf or rugby without worrying about me entering those threads. I only get involved in a select number of threads and I don't really feel I have anything to contribute in those threads. So I don't know what your concern is other than to put your self-importance front and centre.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 19, 2021, 05:45:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 19, 2021, 04:51:01 PM
Ok guys.

You did this shite 6 months ago

Yes and was found out then  ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Ok guys.

I'm still right and just wanted to remind you that nothing has changed.

As you were.

quit yo jibbajabba

Angelo i was thinking the troops were being a bit quick in rounding on you but ive just seen you proudly point out how right you are when theres been a grand total of......one major since your bold statement....you really dont help yourself sometimes 😃

thebigfella

Quote from: Angelo on March 19, 2021, 05:19:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 19, 2021, 05:05:45 PM
Two things Angelo:

I promised I wouldn't "ruin" this thread but I'll answer this one before I go.
He hasn't won a major since 2014, 24 successive majors without one. Since he won his last major:

Koepka (4)
Spieth (3)
Johnson (2)
Others (15x1)

He's been left behind by the others. I really don't think he will win another major. Don't really follow golf but I think his career trajectory has so many similarities to Hewitt/Roddick. McIlroy was lauded as this star of golf who was going to dominate the sport for the next 20/30 years, it hasn't worked out like that for him.

Andy Murray only won 3 slams but he was a good sight better than Hewitt or Roddick. There's competition there now that I don't think was really there when McIlroy arrived on the scene and that's why he was fallen off.

Yep, carry on  ::)

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on March 19, 2021, 06:57:52 PM
Ok guys.

As you were.

Aye still right to compare McIlroy with Hewitt and Roddick when they've won 1 major apiece and McIlroy has 4 on his own and plays a game which has a career span of 25 years and not 10 like tennis.

It's embarrassing at this stage really!

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on March 19, 2021, 07:35:41 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 19, 2021, 06:57:52 PM
Ok guys.

As you were.

Aye still right to compare McIlroy with Hewitt and Roddick when they've won 1 major apiece and McIlroy has 4 on his own and plays a game which has a career span of 25 years and not 10 like tennis.

It's embarrassing at this stage really!

Incorrect.

Hewitt won two.