The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 15, 2021, 02:00:47 PM
westwood can always be relied on to miss a short putt when the pressure is on  ;)

having no caddy is not an advantage, just look at the way thomas,de chambeau,koepka,speith etc interact with their bagmen, with such fine margins, it can make the difference  ::)

I think the make percentage for that putt on the 17th is around 50%, so hardly can be attributed to pressure.

I'm assuming you have played at some sort of elite level to back up your claims on the caddy? Missed birdie opportunities on final par 5's two weeks in a row has cost him a playoff, poor shot execution cost him not having a caddy.

Franko

I get the impression that Westwood doesn't give a flying fcuk.

If he wins, great, if he doesn't - ah well, money made, bag a few more quid in the next couple of years then arse about on the seniors tour and play a few invitationals.

Fair play to him for it.

In reality, even if he does nick a win at a major, he's never really going to be discussed among the golfing greats

John Egans left boot

To be honest Westwood is the one shining European light in a Ryder Cup year. He's consistent and competitive. John Rahm maybe as well.

I am trying not to be hateful but Rory is SOOO overhyped its unreal. I really think his greatest days are behind him. The future of golf is in very good hands and its going to be ultra competitive over the next 10/12 years. Brooks K has also found this out and is struggling. Some of these new young fellas stats are exceptional. JT stats this week in GIR was pure class and this is why Rory, Brooks and even Bryson with his erratic ways will struggle IMO in the future.

The future of golf looks as if the Americans will dominate. The Ryder cup looks a daunting task for Team Europe. Yes players like Garcia, Westwood and on his day Rory can compete with anyone in match-play golf, but the biggest issue for the US team is who the captain picks. They have serious talent that is consistent. Look at DJ, JT, JS,CM,XS I mean these guys are consistently top 10 every week. Add into this Brooks, Bryson, possible D Berger, P Cantlay and P Reed, I hope I am wrong but Harrington must be looking across the table going how do I challenge this?

As for Shane he faces the same problem as Rory etc, its a given now you must play 4 consistent under par rounds to have an chance  Without fail, since Portrush, Shane has failed to do this. Friday last week was a poor day and ultimately cost him. Also worrying was some of his short game. He chipped in Saturday (I think) but it was average at best overall. 

I haven't looked at RC European standings recently but some big hitters outside automatics, like Rose, Garcia, maybe Paul Casey (showing some form). Whistling Straights will suit Rose however overall this seems an uphill battle for Team Europe.

thewobbler

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 15, 2021, 10:03:05 AM
Great to see JT win the players, not least because I'd £2 on him! But after losing his Grandad and the shit he has had to take for a slip of the tongue, for which he has apologised.

Agreed.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: Taylor on March 15, 2021, 11:23:11 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 15, 2021, 10:58:50 AM
Lee Westwood should sack his caddie.

The son is caddying for him at the Masters

The son's uncle would be the Sky commentator An­drew Coltart. Has anyone heard Andrew give Lee a hard time? lol

thebigfella

Great to see JT win the players, not least because I'd £2 on him! But after losing his Grandad and the shit he has had to take for a slip of the tongue, for which he has apologised.

Seriously? Any shit he got is well deserved and he knows it. If it was a derogatory term around disability, we all know plenty of them, would you still be saying the same?

I like JT and thought his interview after it occurring was honest; not the damage limitation management shite he was forced to mouth a few weeks.

Orior

Quote from: thebigfella on March 15, 2021, 09:46:39 PM

Seriously? Any shit he got is well deserved and he knows it. If it was a derogatory term around disability, we all know plenty of them, would you still be saying the same?

I like JT and thought his interview after it occurring was honest; not the damage limitation management shite he was forced to mouth a few weeks.

I thought he called himself a f**got?

Applesisapples

Quote from: thebigfella on March 15, 2021, 09:46:39 PM

He called himself a f**got. Being Gay is not a disability. Many gay people also use the term and it is never meant to be derogatory. But granted it can be offensive to some. Hardly a hanging offence.

John Egans left boot

Quote from: thewobbler on March 15, 2021, 03:27:11 PM
What a load of nonsense.

Explain what is nonsense? Just my opinion. I have seen a lot of mc illroy in recent years, I seen first hand  the day he was handed his ass by RF at RCD  in the Walker Cup that was the first time I knew he was totally overhyped indeed that American team in Newcastle was just top quality and illustrate the difference in quality presently between the UK and Ireland and the US.Most  subsequent Walker cup performances have reinforced this hence my assessment of the upcoming Ryder Cup. Interesting to note Paul Mc Ginley comments to Eamonn Lynch on the Golf Channel on St Patrick's Day. Paul believes the ET will find it difficult to win  points in the 12 singles matches.

JPGJOHNNYG

The amount of supposed weak guys end up winning their singles match is unreal. US always do better in the singles but I would expect it to be close enough. Talk of Europe struggling to win a point in the singles is daft, McGinley should know better

thewobbler

Quote from: John Egans left boot on March 19, 2021, 09:28:20 AM
What a load of nonsense.

Explain what is nonsense? Just my opinion. I have seen a lot of mc illroy in recent years, I seen first hand  the day he was handed his ass by RF at RCD  in the Walker Cup that was the first time I knew he was totally overhyped indeed that American team in Newcastle was just top quality and illustrate the difference in quality presently between the UK and Ireland and the US.Most  subsequent Walker cup performances have reinforced this hence my assessment of the upcoming Ryder Cup. Interesting to note Paul Mc Ginley comments to Eamonn Lynch on the Golf Channel on St Patrick's Day. Paul believes the ET will find it difficult to win  points in the 12 singles matches.

It's like this. Lee Westwood has beaten all but one of those unbeatable Americans in each of the past two prestigious tournaments. If he makes the European Team he will a second stringer ie the likes of Rahm, McIlroy, Fleetwood and Hatton will cornerstone the team and feature in every pairs match.

Throw in Perez, Casey, Hovland, Matt Fitz and Rose, even Lowry and you've basically got a full team of players capable of winning any match-up they're given. They're all players who regularly feature on leaderboards on American soil.

—-

As for Rory being overrated. He's the greatest golfer ever produced by this island. I don't know where it is you set your yardstick for underrated / overrated but it's in the wrong place. 18 PGA tour wins. He's 31 years old.

trailer

I'm not saying Europe will win, but it won't be the W/O John thinks it'll be. Europe are good. They're good in the Pairs and they're good individually. A lot of these Ryder Cups take on lives of their own and form / world rankings go out the window.

John Egans left boot

Quote from: thewobbler on March 19, 2021, 11:40:56 AM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on March 19, 2021, 09:28:20 AM
What a load of nonsense.

It's like this. Lee Westwood has beaten all but one of those unbeatable Americans in each of the past two prestigious tournaments. If he makes the European Team he will a second stringer ie the likes of Rahm, McIlroy, Fleetwood and Hatton will cornerstone the team and feature in every pairs match.

Throw in Perez, Casey, Hovland, Matt Fitz and Rose, even Lowry and you've basically got a full team of players capable of winning any match-up they're given. They're all players who regularly feature on leaderboards on American soil.

—-

As for Rory being overrated. He's the greatest golfer ever produced by this island. I don't know where it is you set your yardstick for underrated / overrated but it's in the wrong place. 18 PGA tour wins. He's 31 years old.

I have no Arguments rep Rory Being the greatest Golfer ever produced on this island nor his excellent stats you have helpfully produced.

My argument is simple his best days are behind him in an increasing ultra competitive golfing environment. The future of Golf was Rory - an 18/19 year old that lit up the tour. However suddenly we have seen the emergence of players that will challenge the record above in the coming years and may challenge the great great players: I mean Is Rory even in the best 3 Europe have ever produced ( Take the green glasses off)??

my opinion is no

(1) Faldo - Cant stand, but what a player big stage both sides of the ocean, majors, Ryder Cups (as a player) Genius!!
(2) Seve (an o Shea through marriage) - Consistently Brilliant, majors, Ryder Cups, changed the face of golf in the 80s- huge effect on the game
(3) Arguably Langer - Consistent, steady everything that Germans are or produce.

JT,DJ,PR,JS all are major winners that may I repeat may in the fullness of time have better stats than Rory.

Just my argument wobbler, I understand your views differ, the led into September will tell us a hell of a lot, as will his performances in Wisconsin. Whistling straits maybe a very tough layout for him.

screenexile

What absolute nonsense!

You can't compare lads who have finished their careers with someone who is barely half way through his.

Faldo didn't win his first major until he was the age McIlroy is now. . . he has another 17-18 years at the top level he will have plenty of opportunities to win again and he absolutely will!