The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orangemac on October 02, 2011, 11:32:31 PM
Quote from: stephenite on October 02, 2011, 10:49:07 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on October 02, 2011, 10:45:03 PM
Rory McIlroy finishes 2nd again. I know he has the Major win already but is he a bit like Harrington in his early career.

I know he had a 65 today but how many 2nd or top 5 finishes has he had compared to the 3 wins so far in his career?

What's your point here, a bit like Harrington? With his 3 majors? Nonsense comment
In the first 4/5 years of his career Harrington had a poor record of wins compared to something like 20 or so runners up positions in tournaments, not to mention the event (European Open?) where he had a 4/5 shot lead after the 3rd round and was disqualiifed after an error with signing his card.

It is 1 thing winning in style like the US Open and Qualie Hollow but if McIlroy wants to win a large no of majors he is going to have to learn how to win ugly.
With his face he has no option.

stephenite

Quote from: Minder on October 02, 2011, 11:20:51 PM
Quote from: Orangemac link=topic=909.msg1026777#msg1026777
date=1317591903

Rory McIlroy finishes 2nd again. I know he has the Major win already but is he a bit like Harrington in his early career.

I know he had a 65 today but how many 2nd or top 5 finishes has he had compared to the 3 wins so far in his career?

What's your point here, a bit like Harrington? With his 3 majors? Nonsense
comment

Did you not read his post? "in his early career".

But he has already surpassed Harrington's early career, that's glaringly obvious

sans pessimism

Quote from: stephenite on October 03, 2011, 01:35:34 AM
Quote from: Minder on October 02, 2011, 11:20:51 PM
Quote from: Orangemac link=topic=909.msg1026777#msg1026777
date=1317591903

What's your point here, a bit like Harrington? With his 3 majors? Nonsense
comment

Did you not read his post? "in his early career".

But he has already surpassed Harrington's early career, that's glaringly obvious
Harri, the reversing bus,will be back
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Gabriel_Hurl

Won tickets in the lottery for the Ryder Cup next year in Chicago

Only for the Wednesday and Thursday practice rounds though :(

Orior

My biggest problem at the moment is not commiting to the shot.

I stand over the ball, see the out of bounds behind the green, and then drop the ball well short of the green (often into a river). Its enough to make a nun curse.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

Was just dealing with that at the weekend Orior. You are standing up with the club in hand and have absolutely no confidence in what kind of swing you are going to deliver, where the ball is going to come off the club face and where its gonna go! Torture.

Bought a nice 21 degree adams hybrid there last week. Loving it. Ended up just taking my medicine off the tee with it (was in play but only 220-230 yards).

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on October 17, 2011, 09:21:07 PM
Was just dealing with that at the weekend Orior. You are standing up with the club in hand and have absolutely no confidence in what kind of swing you are going to deliver, where the ball is going to come off the club face and where its gonna go! Torture.

Bought a nice 21 degree adams hybrid there last week. Loving it. Ended up just taking my medicine off the tee with it (was in play but only 220-230 yards).

220 yards with a 21 degree hyrid? Are you a circus freak?

Only joking. My new hybrid is my most favourite club in the bag.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

We are at 4500 ft altitude, which probably helps 10 yards or so? I'm not a short hitter - but I'm reguarly being out gunned by smaller fellas - have one buddy (total sandbagger), who is hitting 9 iron 165. When I travel home to Ireland I normally club up at least one club.

My distances would be
60 degree 80-90
56 degree 100-110
PW 130-140
9 140-150
8 150-160
7 160-170
6 170-80
5 180-190 when I catch it

Rarely play 3-5 irons and just bought the hybrid - but practised with it on the simulator before I forked over the dough.

220 with the hybrid
240-50 with the 5 wood (dont play a 3 wood - have a little beat up golden bear 5 wood with a monster sized head on it)
260-290 with the Big Dog (Titleist 905)

thewobbler

My new Superfast 2.0 is coming tomorrow and I'd think it should put into the 300 club. I got the older version Superfast earlier this year and was getting up there until some bastard nicked my clubs.

New JPX800 irons a coming too. Insurance is a nice thing sometimes.

heganboy

Quote from: Puckoon on October 17, 2011, 09:47:23 PM

9 140-150
8 150-160
7 160-170

Holy crap Puckoon- those are big irons - what do you play to? are those carry- or total yardage

I'm a big hitter but my 7 iron is 150- 155

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

I play Cleveland tour action II's. About 4-5 years old now. Great irons and I'll be sad when I replace them.

I'd be a long enough iron hitter, and I hit a very high trajectory 8-pw iron in, but I'm not pass remarkable long. Like I said I'm regularly out gunned by some fellas I'm playing with. Smashed a drive on Saturday morning only to be out hit by 20 yards with a fellas 3 wood.

When you make the short drive to Tahoe the distances go up another 5+ yards again, the elevation here certainly adds yards.

There's no doubting the distances for every club these days with on board gps in the carts. And range finders. Those are my numbers and I'd say they are maybe a bit above average, but not very much.

The first number would be total carry on an average swing the last number if I couldn't hit it any sweeter. Hard to get much run with 7 iron in from a high trajectory with a "good" ball.

When I'm on form off the tee., I'll shoot 78-82. Miss a few off the tee and I'll shoot 83-88. Struggle off the tee and I won't break 90. My driving game can be the most erratic part of my games. Very frustrating at times. Need to work hard this winter.

Declan

some impressive fiures there from Stateside!!

Played the PGA in Palmerstown on Sat - 33 points of society HC of 13 (with 3 scratches) delighted considering I hadn't hit a ball in 9 weeks.

heganboy

Quote from: Declan on October 18, 2011, 09:01:31 AM
some impressive fiures there from Stateside!!

Unfortunately- long not necessarily straight...

JimStynes

Completely sideways off the tee and i shot 89 and 41 points on Sunday there at Lurgan.  Only my 3rd round from the whites so delighted with that score.

Anyone ever play Greenore or Ardglass? Couple of mates  and myself are going down over halloween for their open comps.

heganboy

Ardglass is a fantastic course, one of my favorite anywhere in the world. Bastard hard though, you will not believe the angles that you'll be hitting off the tee...