Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 7055 times)

Taylor

• View Profile
Re: European Super League
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2021, 10:00:32 AM »
I'd like to hear a logical reason why the owners of PL clubs would vote for allowing Celtic/Rangers into the league, there isn't any.

I cannot see any reason why either club should get in.

Added to that how or where they would enter the league and would it mean English clubs dropping out of the PL means it would be a non runner

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:40 AM »
I'd like to hear a logical reason why the owners of PL clubs would vote for allowing Celtic/Rangers into the league, there isn't any.

Added to that how or where they would enter the league and would it mean English clubs dropping out of the PL means it would be a non runner

Same premise as Cardiff and Swansea - too big for their "native" leagues i.e. sporting merit.

Existing PL teams dropping out has always been a hurdle. The money men were pushing for a 39th game before, why not 39, 40, 41 and 42. Both teams would be a huge addition to the league.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
They should have to work their way up. At present I am not sure either would be anything other than relegation material.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2021, 10:28:29 AM »

Same premise as Cardiff and Swansea - too big for their "native" leagues i.e. sporting merit.

Existing PL teams dropping out has always been a hurdle. The money men were pushing for a 39th game before, why not 39, 40, 41 and 42. Both teams would be a huge addition to the league.

Did they get added to the top division?

Cavan19

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »

Swansea, along with Cardiff City, Newport County, Wrexham and Merthyr Town all play in the English Football League as when they were first formed, no Welsh football league had existed. And so, their only option was to join the English Football League – Cardiff doing so in 1920 and Swansea following suit in 1921 .
Nothing to do with being to big for their native leagues.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »

https://www.ft.com/content/46cc7a08-95c9-44c3-9aea-136ca3ae80b5

. In England, the Premier League is pushing to remove from its subcommittees representatives from Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur, according to someone close to the English top flight.
Lookit

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2021, 07:30:59 AM »
So Boris met Ed Woodward days before this was announced l not to discuss the super league apparently...

snoopdog

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2021, 08:15:57 AM »

https://www.ft.com/content/46cc7a08-95c9-44c3-9aea-136ca3ae80b5

. In England, the Premier League is pushing to remove from its subcommittees representatives from Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur, according to someone close to the English top flight.
While they should be punished I doubt they will be. They are too powerful. And I hope they are punished.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2021, 09:28:07 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/22/premier-league-plans-new-rule-expel-clubs-plot-breakaways-super/

The Premier League is set to introduce changes to its rulebook which would prevent any future breakaways by the 'Big Six' rebel clubs.

A global furore around the European Super League fiasco has cemented the determination of top tier executives to agree on new legal powers.

Competition law changes are being considered as part of an internal governance review sparked even before the Project Big Picture domestic coup last autumn.

While new laws are expected to stop short of immediate expulsions, lawyers are understood to be working through options that would be designed to make it impossible for any club to join a breakaway.
Lookit

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2021, 05:34:42 PM »
The new Champions League format is just as sinister as the ESL. Based on the “Swiss system” apparently, is all you need to know really. Anything Swiss has to be dodgy.

A 36 team league, but you only play 10 of the other 35 teams. What the f**k is that all about?

Likely means another 4 European nights before Christmas. Surely that means the end of the League Cup?

I don’t know about the rest of you, but European competitions are long past being any way interesting.  This is just ripping the arse out of it.