Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Gets underway in 8 days.

Mayo the defending champions and will be expected to retain the title, 10/11 outright odds suggests that too.

Galway, like Mayo last year really shouldn't have allowed themselves to drop to Div 2 and now might have a point to prove. Will draw encouragement that they only lost the Connacht final by 1 point in November and now will Likely be up against Mayo without Cillian O'Connor.

Roscommon have good recent record for winning Connacht titles after league relegation but the short time frame from the end of the league to the start of the championship will probably end any hopes of that happening again?

Leitrim, Sligo who will give Mayo the best game? Both Div 4 teams and neither was good enough to even push for promotion.

Rossfan

Hard to disagree with any of that Cunny.
Hopefully the Ros v Galway game won't reflect League form but hard to see our lads improving sufficiently in 3 weeks.
The Laythrums will let the Rhubarbs know they were in a game but the inevitable end result.
Of course we'll be all rooting for Sligo in game 1 but that won't help them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Mayo will be favourites to beat Sligo and Leitrim. That's maybe where the run might end though.

Ros and Galway are both going in slightly down in themselves it seems as both were relegated from Division 1 of the league. If Mayo do get to the Connacht final, then Ros or Galway will fancy their chances against a Mayo team whose defensive issues are very problematic and without Cillian O'Connor also who is a massive loss. They'll also have the advantage of playing the top teams all summer long as well.

Weirdly enough for me, I expect Mayo to beat Sligo and Leitrim. They're both Division 4 teams and the only win between them was for Sligo - against Leitrim. The gap should be too big. Apologies to the Sligo folk here but that's how I view it anyway.

P.S. Given the above worries I have for Mayo it probably won't be and it'll be heart in mouth stuff for us. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Fhairche Abu

Sligo and Leitrim have no chance, that's not disrespectful that's just the way of it. Mayo are the best team in the province, even without Cillian O'Connor they have the only proven set of players. Mayo mightn't have enough to get past Dublin alright especially with their chief scorer out, but they won't fear whoever comes through the other semi-final.

No idea where Galway will be after that Monaghan game, there has been nothing between Galway and Roscommon over the last 5 years in Connacht but if Galway don't win, we'll be looking at a new management team next year and that's not maybe. Hoping that Galway will show up big for the summer but it's a hope more than expectation unfortunately.

galwayman

Agree with that. With Galway you just don't know what you're going to get. Our consistency of performance isn't there.
At least with Mayo ye know ye will perform to some extent - evidenced by 9 semi final appearances in the past 10 seasons.
If we manage to get past Roscommon (very close to call) realistically I would expect us to lose to Mayo in the final but it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility either that we could sneak it on our day.
We would have absolutely no chance of downing Dublin in an AI semi final though.
If we lose to Ros - I don't see them beating Mayo in the final.
Don't think they're good enough to beat both ourselves and Mayo this year.

twohands!!!

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 21, 2021, 01:25:16 PM
Sligo and Leitrim have no chance, that's not disrespectful that's just the way of it. Mayo are the best team in the province, even without Cillian O'Connor they have the only proven set of players. Mayo mightn't have enough to get past Dublin alright especially with their chief scorer out, but they won't fear whoever comes through the other semi-final.

No idea where Galway will be after that Monaghan game, there has been nothing between Galway and Roscommon over the last 5 years in Connacht but if Galway don't win, we'll be looking at a new management team next year and that's not maybe. Hoping that Galway will show up big for the summer but it's a hope more than expectation unfortunately.

PJ got a three year term when ratified which would mean his term would include 2022.
Unless he walks, I think he will get one last year.

An Fhairche Abu

If his record as manager reads zero championship wins topped off with relegation from Division One on the evening of July 4th his position is untenable.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 21, 2021, 08:41:47 PM
If his record as manager reads zero championship wins topped off with relegation from Division One on the evening of July 4th his position is untenable.
Agreed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

11 years ago today we lost the mighty man himself.
R.I.P Dermot.
If I could misquote....
Most of all to play it fairly
To win or lose with equal grace
To play the game like Dermot Earley
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 23, 2021, 03:07:30 PM
11 years ago today we lost the mighty man himself.
R.I.P Dermot.
If I could misquote....
Most of all to play it fairly
To win or lose with equal grace
To play the game like Dermot Earley
d'imigh uainn an buachaill beo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Mayo team named.

1. Rob Hennelly
2. Enda Hession
3. Oisín Mullen
4. Lee Keegan
5. Paddy Durcan
6. Michael Plunkett
7. Eoghan McLaughlin
8. Matthew Ruane
9. Conor Loftus
10. Kevin McLoughlin
11. Darren McHale
12. Bryan Walsh
13. Tommy Conroy
14. Aidan O'Shea (c)
15. Ryan O'Donoghue

MayoBuck

I'd prefer Aidan O'Shea in midfield and Loftus in the forwards.

From the Bunker

Sligo are 100 to 1 to win on the weekend!  :-[

Farrandeelin

Quote from: MayoBuck on June 24, 2021, 01:47:49 PM
I'd prefer Aidan O'Shea in midfield and Loftus in the forwards.

I've a feeling that's what will happen on the day.