Student Days

Started by STREET FIGHTER, May 09, 2021, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orchard 8195

Anyone here Steve Irwin day vintage?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: charlieTully on May 09, 2021, 10:39:31 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2021, 09:52:10 PM
QUB 1994 -97. First year I went buck mental. Split up with yeh girlfriend the Wednesday of Freshers and went crazy. Fell in with a few lads from the Halls, one lad in particular, who drank wine by the gallon and gin for fun. We used to drink in the Bunatee and Speakeasy an awful lot. Loved rocking into Shine after if I was fit! 

My English friend was in his final year in Philosophy. He was an only child and his parents were quite old. They didn't trust him with money as they feared he would go to the pub so they sent him M&S vouchers. He would get hundreds of pounds worth every few weeks. We would hit M&S in the city centre and fill up with red wine, nibbles, loads of rich tasting stuff and lie out in Botanic Gardens watching the world go by!

I had some serious messy sessions with lads you would know well. University Street was a mad spot.

There was some crew of us round Wolsley Street, long, late nights!

tiempo

Was about 2004, I'm a Celeb get me outta here must have been the first series or 2, pretty big, so the boffins at M club decided to do a promo "I'm a student get me outta here" with flights to oz as the first prize no less! f**king deadly incentive!

Except, they took the parallel to Ant and Dec v seriously, in order to win these flights and a few grand spending money you had to chunter down a pile of f**king live feed lol. You name it worms, dogs balls, hedgehog c**k, the full 57 varieties... this went on for 4 or 5 nights til some Ted was crowned champ and walked off with the golden ticket... it dawned on me from the outset imagine being the poor fecker to come second, all that grub for no end.

The contestants were near off their heads on drink too so I can only imagine the scenes later and the next morning when that came up around the sink and bog lol. And all that to hawk off as much Castlemaine for £1 a bottle as M club could shift. Textbook magnificence  ;D ;D

John Egans left boot

tbrick18

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 09, 2021, 08:29:46 PM
the crescent was a dodgy spot, used to be a pound a drink in there on a thursday night. 5 or 6 of us used to go there before we went to the bot and we always had to make sure we never called each other by real first names, wouldnt have ended well for an oisin or padraig in there.

I loved it!
It was a hole, dangerous as fook around that area especially for us country boys.
But the drink was cheap, all the students went and the craic was deadly.
Fell down the stairs manys a time...but never had any real trouble in it.
I did hear a few stories of boys getting severe beatings around it though. I'd say for 2 years, we went at least once a week.

The early mid 90s was still dodgy enough around Belfast but tbh, as a student you kind of ignored a lot of that and were just out for the rip and trying to pick up!

Some of the dodgier places would have been the Crescent but Orpheus and the Menagerie I always found a bit dodgy.
Dukes at the weekend was a no-go for me.

A general week would have been head back to Belfast on a Sunday night....possibly the Union for a few pints.
Monday night used to be the Fly or maybe a quiet night so the Cinema with a couple of pints somewhere.
Tuesday would have been Crescent/Laverys/Morrisons
Wed bot and in later years MClub
Thursdsay Crescent/Bot/Egg/Laverys
Friday usually back home to head out with the lads not at uni on Fri/sat night and the occasional sunday night.

Had to fit in football with all that too. Looking back at it now, it was some life. Always broke....but always money to go out.

tbrick18

Quote from: tiempo on May 10, 2021, 12:16:26 AM
Was about 2004, I'm a Celeb get me outta here must have been the first series or 2, pretty big, so the boffins at M club decided to do a promo "I'm a student get me outta here" with flights to oz as the first prize no less! f**king deadly incentive!

Except, they took the parallel to Ant and Dec v seriously, in order to win these flights and a few grand spending money you had to chunter down a pile of f**king live feed lol. You name it worms, dogs balls, hedgehog c**k, the full 57 varieties... this went on for 4 or 5 nights til some Ted was crowned champ and walked off with the golden ticket... it dawned on me from the outset imagine being the poor fecker to come second, all that grub for no end.

The contestants were near off their heads on drink too so I can only imagine the scenes later and the next morning when that came up around the sink and bog lol. And all that to hawk off as much Castlemaine for £1 a bottle as M club could shift. Textbook magnificence  ;D ;D

After my time that, but I remember the M-Club used to give you two free bottles of millar when you paid in.
Two of my mates hated the stuff, so I'd get 6 bottles on the way in. Pure pish, but when you're living on a budget it does the job.
It was a funny place, I was barred out of for about the first 6 months it was opened even though I'd never been in it. Sods law, first night I did get in a fight broke out behind where I was standing and I got threw out in the middle of it. Barred again. lol.

JimStynes

Quote from: orchard 8195 on May 09, 2021, 10:47:50 PM
Anyone here Steve Irwin day vintage?

In the middle of it!

tiempo

Moved into the digs for freshers in Belfast, found a bag of coppers in the pad, seemed to be enough for a few pints, walked up to one of the pubs with one of the flat mates, ordered 2 pints, handed over the bag of coppers, it was fairly heaving, the look of distain from the barman was comical  ;D ;D drank them and walked out lol

JimStynes

Anyone remember the spotlight programme about the Holylands? Some craic explaining that to the parents. It was around the mid 2000s. Best days of my life and made some great friends along the way.

johnnycool

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 10, 2021, 02:35:14 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on May 09, 2021, 08:29:46 PM
the crescent was a dodgy spot, used to be a pound a drink in there on a thursday night. 5 or 6 of us used to go there before we went to the bot and we always had to make sure we never called each other by real first names, wouldnt have ended well for an oisin or padraig in there.

I loved it!
It was a hole, dangerous as fook around that area especially for us country boys.
But the drink was cheap, all the students went and the craic was deadly.
Fell down the stairs manys a time...but never had any real trouble in it.
I did hear a few stories of boys getting severe beatings around it though. I'd say for 2 years, we went at least once a week.

Younger vintage lad from home got a bit of a bad beating down there one night from the locals, might have been a Saturday night the stupid bollox. The lure of cheap shots was just too much..

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2021, 04:35:30 PM
Anyone remember the spotlight programme about the Holylands? Some craic explaining that to the parents. It was around the mid 2000s. Best days of my life and made some great friends along the way.

There was a few, one of the wrecking and one on the state of the houses that followed.

I was down in those days - Declan Boyle was the one got the brunt of that, he converted a load of houses into 3 floor flats and some of the rooms didn't meet basic regulations. I know a few boys got their money back over all that, Belfast council into houses with measuring tapes, the lot.

The one with the wrecking was bad enough viewing, men playing hurling up the street....only thing surprising was they were Tyrone boys 😂

St Patricks day was the day I hated the most down there though, the Holylands just became an excuse to behave like animals....majority students, but there were a right lock just landed that day for the carnage.

Still though, come those days in April and May and the sun out, being a student in Belfast was as good as it got.

andoireabu

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 10, 2021, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2021, 04:35:30 PM

There was a few, one of the wrecking and one on the state of the houses that followed.

I was down in those days - Declan Boyle was the one got the brunt of that, he converted a load of houses into 3 floor flats and some of the rooms didn't meet basic regulations. I know a few boys got their money back over all that, Belfast council into houses with measuring tapes, the lot.

The one with the wrecking was bad enough viewing, men playing hurling up the street....only thing surprising was they were Tyrone boys 😂

St Patricks day was the day I hated the most down there though, the Holylands just became an excuse to behave like animals....majority students, but there were a right lock just landed that day for the carnage.

Still though, come those days in April and May and the sun out, being a student in Belfast was as good as it got.

The blue reek and the smell of disposable barbecues the first dry day in April even it was only 10 degrees outside. Some memories
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 10, 2021, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: tiempo on May 10, 2021, 12:16:26 AM

After my time that, but I remember the M-Club used to give you two free bottles of millar when you paid in.
Two of my mates hated the stuff, so I'd get 6 bottles on the way in. Pure pish, but when you're living on a budget it does the job.
It was a funny place, I was barred out of for about the first 6 months it was opened even though I'd never been in it. Sods law, first night I did get in a fight broke out behind where I was standing and I got threw out in the middle of it. Barred again. lol.

Howd did the original barring come about if you hadn't been in it lol??

An Watcher

Planting the sofa out in the street and drinking away, great stuff

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: FermGael on May 09, 2021, 07:54:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2021, 03:09:19 PM
The burger van outside the Egg/Bot, woke up one morning with two uneaten burgers in my pockets, certain food poison thon spot

Was there a time where the bank links beside the Bot were actually a late night burger spot ?

Absolutely correct sir - there was a built in fast food there beside the bot - kinda on the grounds of the Wellie. Feck knows what they were serving and feck doesn't even know how the poor bollixes put up with us!
i usse an speelchekor