European Super League

Started by seafoid, April 18, 2021, 08:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

They will be back, this has been in motion for years. It will be a bit more palatable the next time

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2021, 09:23:02 PM
These 'apologies' from club owners to fans are laughable.

Would have thought it was pretty clear at this stage they don't really care too much about the existing fans.

They are only really interested in getting new fans.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 21, 2021, 10:48:54 PM
They will be back, this has been in motion for years. It will be a bit more palatable the next time

Couldn't see it. It's a fundamentally different business model that only works in North America. I have serious doubts that it would ever fly in Europe, the traditions are too deep-rooted.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2021, 02:52:03 AM

Couldn't see it. It's a fundamentally different business model that only works in No  rth America. I have serious doubts that it would ever fly in Europe, the traditions are too deep-rooted.

I think it's down to fundamental cultural differences.  The US was a settler colony with huge resources. If something didn't work out the thing to do was move on. It's an extreme philosophy in US capitalism. Walk away and start over.Continuity is less important.
In Europe there is less walking away and more continuity.
In the US system there wouldn't be 3 teams from the NW of England because it is poor. Liverpool is one of the poorest cities in England.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on April 22, 2021, 04:08:01 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 22, 2021, 02:52:03 AM

Couldn't see it. It's a fundamentally different business model that only works in North America. I have serious doubts that it would ever fly in Europe, the traditions are too deep-rooted.

I think it's down to fundamental cultural differences.  The US was a settler colony with huge resources. If something didn't work out the thing to do was move on. It's an extreme philosophy in US capitalism. Walk away and start over.Continuity is less important.

In Europe there is less walking away and more continuity..
In the US system there wouldn't be 3 teams fom.the NW onlf England because it is poor.

There's a lot of truth in that.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: shark on April 21, 2021, 09:16:43 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 21, 2021, 09:09:22 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 21, 2021, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 20, 2021, 08:41:02 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 20, 2021, 05:09:08 PM
There is certainly no premier league club who'd have turned down the opportunity to join a super league especially Leeds United so their antics last night were comical.

As for PSG the super league doesn't need them but PSG definitely needs the super league. Once the world cup is out of the way they'd be all over it. Bayern are the one super power who don't need it, biggest club in their league by a mile.
Everton wouldn't have, no way.

They actually generally have a bit of class and know their history and roots

Everton are owned by a billionaire from overseas, he's not an Everton fan. He's bought the club to make money, there is no logical reason why he or any other premier league would have turned it down. The only clubs who'd say no are fan owned clubs.
I don't think he bought Everton to make money.

united have lost their soul as a club. Everton are still in the main a club supported by local people

and I think you underestimate a lot of other clubs just because your own is interested in nothing but the pursuit of more money

Of course he didn't buy Everton to make money. There is zero chance he could achieve that. Most football clubs don't make any profit.  It's a hobby for a person who doesn't need all the money he has.

Couldn't be any further from the truth, delusional.

seafoid

Just fancy that

https://www.ft.com/content/9cfdbbb9-75e4-4374-8214-977a1ddfce68

Real Madrid, whose revenues Pérez said this week have been €400m short of budget over the past two seasons, has an outstanding loan of €575m for the redevelopment of its Bernabéu stadium and a reported €200m in emergency government-backed coronavirus loans
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

No Super League, but potentially Celtic and Rangers.....

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Keyser soze

Definitely, only a matter of time before this happens.

Maroon Manc

I'd like to hear a logical reason why the owners of PL clubs would vote for allowing Celtic/Rangers into the league, there isn't any.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 22, 2021, 09:35:42 AM
I'd like to hear a logical reason why the owners of PL clubs would vote for allowing Celtic/Rangers into the league, there isn't any.

Politics is getting itself far too concerned with Sport.

Boris Johnson threads on very blurred lines right now.

Taylor

I cannot see any reason why either club should get in.

Added to that how or where they would enter the league and would it mean English clubs dropping out of the PL means it would be a non runner

tiempo

Quote from: Taylor on April 22, 2021, 10:00:32 AM

Added to that how or where they would enter the league and would it mean English clubs dropping out of the PL means it would be a non runner

Same premise as Cardiff and Swansea - too big for their "native" leagues i.e. sporting merit.

Existing PL teams dropping out has always been a hurdle. The money men were pushing for a 39th game before, why not 39, 40, 41 and 42. Both teams would be a huge addition to the league.

imtommygunn

They should have to work their way up. At present I am not sure either would be anything other than relegation material.

Taylor

Quote from: tiempo on April 22, 2021, 10:09:40 AM
Quote from: Taylor on April 22, 2021, 10:00:32 AM

Same premise as Cardiff and Swansea - too big for their "native" leagues i.e. sporting merit.

Existing PL teams dropping out has always been a hurdle. The money men were pushing for a 39th game before, why not 39, 40, 41 and 42. Both teams would be a huge addition to the league.

Did they get added to the top division?