Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

First up NZ Provincial Barabarians this morning.

It divides opinion but I love the Lions Tours.

Owen Brannigan

Good man Benny but be prepared for obtuse comments on rugby and especially the Lions.  The tour in NZ is a great sporting occasion which comes around so rarely.

tonto1888

I like to see the Irish players doing well. Wonder how many will make the test team. Murray a shoe in? Furlong?

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 03, 2017, 08:10:28 AM
Good man Benny but be prepared for obtuse comments on rugby and especially the Lions.  The tour in NZ is a great sporting occasion which comes around so rarely.

In fairness that was a terrible first half. If that was a football match the pundits would be calling it shocking, attacking the game generally and emphasising poor skills and defensive systems. They'd be laughing at how bad the top players from five local countries were playing and saying it proves how bad the game is locally. They'd throw out the game is finished line.

The rugby boys will brush over it and make excuses for the poor quality (some of them genuine). They will then move on very quickly to hyping up the next game. Boys will buy everything said and go on about how rugby is an attacking game and Gaelic spoiled by defensive systems even though it's a much higher scoring sport.

themac_23

Personally i don't see the point of the Lions, what is the benefit of putting 4 teams together, 3 of which are actually competitive at the top level to play a series against another top team, actually seems like an inferiority thing. imagine in soccer, england, ireland, scotland and wales joining to play a couple of games against Brazil or Argentina?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: themac_23 on June 03, 2017, 10:21:57 AM
Personally i don't see the point of the Lions, what is the benefit of putting 4 teams together, 3 of which are actually competitive at the top level to play a series against another top team, actually seems like an inferiority thing. imagine in soccer, england, ireland, scotland and wales joining to play a couple of games against Brazil or Argentina?
It only took 6 posts. Well done.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on June 03, 2017, 11:02:17 AM

Ah no, I wanted to be first to say I've no interest in the Lions☹️
When it comes to posting on threads you have no interest in, you have to move fast!

Hardy

Is it OK not to be interested in the Lions but interested in why people are interested in the Lions?

screenexile

The Irish lads didn't do themselves many favours today Sexton poor, Henderson missing tackles and Rory's darts awry.

Furlong was Ok when he came on. Early days the next few games against the Big Club teams will tell a tale!

stew

Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2017, 11:27:02 AM
The Irish lads didn't do themselves many favours today Sexton poor, Henderson missing tackles and Rory's darts awry.

Furlong was Ok when he came on. Early days the next few games against the Big Club teams will tell a tale!

It is a feeling out process, these lads dont know each other on the field of play the way their opponents do, they will learn a lot from today and improve but I suspect they will lose a game or two along the way before hitting their stride against the all blacks.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

themac_23

Quote from: AQMP on June 03, 2017, 11:02:17 AM

Ah no, I wanted to be first to say I've no interest in the Lions☹️

8)

ashman

Very very sloppy performance TBH .  There is room for improvement .

bennydorano

Well that was a Bag O' Shite. Plenty of excuses but few good performances. Best & Henderson have done themselves no favours, Sexton either. Heard them saying the bookies spread in NZ was 36pts!

square_ball

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2017, 01:24:36 PM
Well that was a Bag O' Shite. Plenty of excuses but few good performances. Best & Henderson have done themselves no favours, Sexton either. Heard them saying the bookies spread in NZ was 36pts!

Aye this was supposedly the 'easiest' warm up game they have. Not a great day for the Irish I'd say Best was the pick of them but he wasn't great either. I think Farrell will start at 10 he's been the best 10 in Europe for the past 2 seasons. A game like that today can totally destroy your chances of being anywhere near the test squad.