Canavan gone

Started by FermGael, September 02, 2013, 09:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Peter Canavan has stepped down as Fermangh senior manager at tonight's county board meeting.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

rodney trotter

He has a lot to learn tactically. The way Fermanagh were set up against Cavan in the Championship was very poor. Then an equally poor display in the Qualifier game in Breffni.

Fermanagh had a decent league campaign and were in with a chance of promotion going into the final round of the league against Meath in Navan. Although they beat a few teams like Cavan and Ross who weren't at full strength during the league.

Captain Obvious

Surprised hes gone. Fermanagh were in a bad place before Peter Canavan arrived.

comethekingdom

Is Canavan gonna be the Roy Keane of nordie football?

SkillfulBill

If he's decided to go himself the question is which job next.  Can't see him going out of ulster.  Tyrone U21's ? Under mickey harte ?  Possibly with a role to play at senior level ? I would love to see him alongside Mickey in Tyrone for a few years.

Syferus

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 02, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
If he's decided to go himself the question is which job next.  Can't see him going out of ulster.  Tyrone U21's ? Under mickey harte ?  Possibly with a role to play at senior level ? I would love to see him alongside Mickey in Tyrone for a few years.

Sligo. Sure that's in Ulster, right?

laoislad

We don't want him in Laois.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

comeontheredhands

Even God couldn't do miracles in Fermanagh

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

TF15

The Fermanagh players will be disappointed he's gone. I know for a fact he increased the professionalism around the set up immensely. Fermanagh have a small pick and were in a v bad place before he took over. The improvement made in the strength and conditioning of the players was v impressive, people can say he only won the one cship game but you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (No disrespect to Fermanagh). Hopefully this doesn't halt the progress of Fermanagh. 

mb80b60

Quote from: TF15 on September 03, 2013, 12:54:20 AM
The Fermanagh players will be disappointed he's gone. I know for a fact he increased the professionalism around the set up immensely. Fermanagh have a small pick and were in a v bad place before he took over. The improvement made in the strength and conditioning of the players was v impressive, people can say he only won the one cship game but you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (No disrespect to Fermanagh). Hopefully this doesn't halt the progress of Fermanagh.

This certainly seems to be the case.

I know a lot of the players were impressed with the 'professionalism' brought by Canavan, but professional or not, they won 1 championship game in 5 attempts which included 2 games against Cavan.  He made bad tactical errors at key times in pretty much every championship game.  The preparation may have been good, but his decisions during games left a lot to be desired.

The big problem for Fermanagh now will be getting someone to replace him. 

Have there been any rumours of nominations so far? 

EC Unique

Zulu

Surprised to hear people feel he was tactically poor as he always came across very tuned in on TV. In saying that it can be very hard to see everything when you are on the line and involved in the game and I think a lot of ex-county players would be well served building up their experience at lower levels before going into senior management. Why do many CB's seem to believe that former IC players will make great IC managers?

FermGael

Here is his statement

In a statement issued late on Monday night, he said: "After lengthy and careful consideration I have today informed the Fermanagh County Committee Chairman that I will not be putting my name forward for the post of Senior Manager for the 2014 year.
"My management team and I have worked extremely hard over the past two years and we believe significant progress has been made.
"The senior footballers now representing their county are fully committed, unified and ambitious.
"With a clear vision and a united county committee I have no doubt that the players will respond in a positive manner."I want to thank my management team for their incredible efforts and sacrifices over the period I was in post and finally my sincere thanks are extended to the special group of players who I have worked with over the past two years. They are a credit to their families, clubs and county.
"The players' commitment, attitude, willingness to work and improve themselves deserves special mention. Also in dealing with very difficult and sad issues off the field they displayed maturity and outstanding loyalty to their team mate and friend.
"This group of players deserve the best and I hope moving forward the Fermanagh County Committee will ensure that this happens. I wish everyone who is genuinely concerned with Fermanagh football the very best of luck in the future."
Fermanagh GAA added: "Fermanagh County Committee thank Peter and his entire backroom team for all their hard work and commitment over the last two years and acknowledge the progress made in respect of their work with the county team.
"Peter took over the team at a very difficult time and during his period as manager worked extremely hard to develop a united panel of players leaving the county well placed to meet the challenges of county football in the years ahead.
"We wish Peter and all members of his backroom team every success for the future."

I think that Peter is taking a bit of a swipe.

Personally he has brought Fermanagh on from the London horror show.
As others have eluded to the players really bought into his style and his approach.
It was a very professional set up and we nearly got promoted to division 2.

But to be fair, he only brought them back to the level O'Rourke has them at previously.
Malachy got us to an Ulster final and won an Ulster Championship game every year he was in charge.
But he only won one back door game in 2 years.  The first year you could forgive beacuse he was appointed so late.
But Fermanagh learnt nothing from our Ulster Championship defeat to Cavan this year.
We stuck to the same gameplan in the qualifier game and it failed again.
Tactically, he only had one plan.  Ulster teams could suss our system pretty easy and knew how to counter it.
At times, he was very slow to make changes.

It will be interesting to see who we appoint.
2 huge appointments for Fermanagh in the next couple of weeks.
Gaa Development manager for the county and senior Manager.

Personally I would love to see Peter McGinnity get the senior job and Peter Donnelly the development job.

If the Fermanagh county board get these appointments wrong, Fermanagh football could be set back 10 years.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Man Marker

The facts are that at championship level in both club and county his results have been crap, three years with Errigal, they didn't get to a final never mind win one. The following year they won it with another manager, now that tells me alot. No doubt fermanagh were in poor shape before he came, but that was the county boards making, by with drawing finacial support to the manager at that time, which entirely put the county players menatal, due to the way they had been treated under O'Rourke, so there was only one way it could go. At the minute he looks like one of the great players who isn't going to make the step up to successful management.