Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 02, 2021, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 02, 2021, 02:59:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 02, 2021, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 02:00:06 PM
It's only being amended.
I presume they have abolished those Rates on houses in Nationalist Council areas in the North.

I got my rates bill from Conor Murphy's department last week anyway.

Got mine yesterday .... absolute joke how its all calculated based on value of property .... bins emptied the same as everyone else, have access to the same council leisure facilities as everyone else, have no idea what justifies the rates based on property value.

Same as any tax, its weighted so the well off pay more than the lesser off.

I'd agree with the well off paying more but that doesn't necessarily mean that because you've a big house you have the disposable income to cover the property tax/rates that's foisted on you.

I'd love to see some councils have a forensic inspection of their accounts as there's without doubt huge wastes of money going every which way but loose and then the rates go up the following year to cover their wastefulness.

balladmaker

Should be based on the number of people in a property, not on the value of the house ... at least there is a tangible link between services rendered and services paid for ... the current setup based on property value has no relationship to the actual services being provided.  I guess a kind of poll tax ain't palatable to everyone ... but it is a fairer system i.e. why should one person living alone pay 5 times as much as a family of 5 just because of the value of the property. 

Saffrongael

Quote from: johnnycool on June 02, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
It's only being amended.
I presume they have abolished those Rates on houses in Nationalist Council areas in the North.

Got mine yesterday .... absolute joke how its all calculated based on value of property .... bins emptied the same as everyone else, have access to the same council leisure facilities as everyone else, have no idea what justifies the rates based on property value.

I'd agree with the well off paying more but that doesn't necessarily mean that because you've a big house you have the disposable income to cover the property tax/rates that's foisted on you.

I'd love to see some councils have a forensic inspection of their accounts as there's without doubt huge wastes of money going every which way but loose and then the rates go up the following year to cover their wastefulness.

They know they can be wasteful as they want, and dish out ratepayer money to their mates, as they know there is an endless supply of ratepayer cash and if necessary just increase the rates
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

yellowcard

I don't have a major issue with the rates bill being linked to the value of the property because I am a firm believer that those who can most afford to pay should pay a little bit more. Alternatively it could be linked to the income of the house owners which would be another form of progressive taxation. No matter how this is done you can see that there will always be people who are penalised unfairly more than others. 

I do have a major issue with the size of the rates bills relative to the services being offered.

The SF policy against LPT in the south is just another populist decision aimed at winning votes. The day that they get into power, reality will bite and everything will change for them.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

It's only being amended.

Well you've hit nail in head, the money usually goes to SF community projects with no value to the public

JoG2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2021, 05:55:19 PM
It's only being amended.

Well you've hit nail in head, the money usually goes to SF community projects with no value to the public

https://www.derrynow.com/news/news/637443/investigation-to-be-launched-into-claims-of-nepotism-within-council-funded-community-groups-in-derry.html

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on June 02, 2021, 07:34:38 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2021, 05:55:19 PM
It's only being amended.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/news/637443/investigation-to-be-launched-into-claims-of-nepotism-within-council-funded-community-groups-in-derry.html

To add injury to insult SF tried to add amendment only allowing investigation into Rosemount community center. It was defeated. Crooks and thieves. Let them into run the Dáil please quick

trailer

I'd be happy to pay more. But SF talking out of both sides of their mouths is ridiculous. When they get into power and they will the South will suffer a serious decline. You can't lower taxes and up spend. Won't work.

Rossfan

FF tried that back in 1977 and gave us the 1980s recession.
SF will only get into power as part of a Coalition so the Programme for Government will likely jettison their sillier populist nonsense. Unless of course the Loony Left get 20 or so seats.
And on the Housing front.... how many developments have SF tried to stop or object to.
And then berate the Government for not getting loads of houses built.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 10:59:36 PM
FF tried that back in 1977 and gave us the 1980s recession.
SF will only get into power as part of a Coalition so the Programme for Government will likely jettison their sillier populist nonsense. Unless of course the Loony Left get 20 or so seats.
And on the Housing front.... how many developments have SF tried to stop or object to.
And then berate the Government for not getting loads of houses built.

You know full well the last bit is utter bollix, but it's just your mask slipping again.

Rossfan

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 11:47:22 PM
No it's not.

Its disingenuous, you know full well why they objected to these sweet heart deals for builders or do you think we should throw any amount of money to these people to build the houses.

Rossfan

Opposed to 238 social and 238 social houses in Fingal on ideological grounds.
I'd say those 476 families will be delighted to continue paying huge rents or living in emergency accomodation as a matter of principle.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rossfan on June 03, 2021, 09:41:48 AM
Opposed to 238 social and 238 social houses in Fingal on ideological grounds.
I'd say those 476 families will be delighted to continue paying huge rents or living in emergency accomodation as a matter of principle.

Up here they have totally infiltrated the social housing associations and they are forcing builds into green belts , God knows where the paper trails end