Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Ex-IRA woman Dolours Price is found dead in Dublin 

The convicted IRA bomber, Dolours Price, has been found dead at her home in Malahide, County Dublin.

Her family has confirmed that she died at the house on Wednesday night and they are to release a statement later.

She was jailed for her part in an IRA bomb attack on the Old Bailey in London in 1973 that injured more than 200 people.

In recent years she has been an outspoken critic of the IRA leadership and Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams.

glens abu

Quote from: orangeman on January 24, 2013, 01:18:18 PM
Ex-IRA woman Dolours Price is found dead in Dublin 

The convicted IRA bomber, Dolours Price, has been found dead at her home in Malahide, County Dublin.

Her family has confirmed that she died at the house on Wednesday night and they are to release a statement later.

She was jailed for her part in an IRA bomb attack on the Old Bailey in London in 1973 that injured more than 200 people.

In recent years she has been an outspoken critic of the IRA leadership and Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams.

wrong thread,this is already on death notices.

orangeman

Leaving room for the conspiracy theorists out there after watching a good movie last night - Innocent based on the novel Presumed Innocent.

Applesisapples

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 23, 2013, 11:53:05 PM
Disappointed in Alex Maskey who didn't do Sinn Fein any favours trying to sell a UI to unionists. Mind you Arlene was equally as clueless. Didn't know if she was coming or going but that the DUP all over.
I have to agree with you there. If this poll is about starting a debate then fine. But as things stand there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of a majority of nationalists let alone an overall majority voting for a united Ireland. Before that happens we need to know what this unified state is going to look like. Listen to Conal McDevitt of the SDLP, he keeps reiterating that the debate needs to take place among nationalist first and formost.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 24, 2013, 02:52:34 PM
Disappointed in Alex Maskey who didn't do Sinn Fein any favours trying to sell a UI to unionists. Mind you Arlene was equally as clueless. Didn't know if she was coming or going but that the DUP all over.
I have to agree with you there. If this poll is about starting a debate then fine. But as things stand there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of a majority of nationalists let alone an overall majority voting for a united Ireland. Before that happens we need to know what this unified state is going to look like. Listen to Conal McDevitt of the SDLP, he keeps reiterating that the debate needs to take place among nationalist first and formost.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that you are Conal McDevitt.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Onion Bag

As someone has already said, i would love to know what a united ireland will look like? Sinn fein will struggle to convince a lot of people if it is going to effect their pocket, i.e higher taxes, price of living, etc. In the current economic climate the ordinary middle of the road nationalist will choose whatever is better for their pocket.
The coke can kickers that lye about the house all day and sponge off the government will vote for a UI because they will get a higher rate of Dole in the republic.
My honest opinion is SF's heads are in the clouds on this
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Saffrongael

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 24, 2013, 03:24:31 PM
As someone has already said, i would love to know what a united ireland will look like? Sinn fein will struggle to convince a lot of people if it is going to effect their pocket, i.e higher taxes, price of living, etc. In the current economic climate the ordinary middle of the road nationalist will choose whatever is better for their pocket.
The coke can kickers that lye about the house all day and sponge off the government will vote for a UI because they will get a higher rate of Dole in the republic.
My honest opinion is SF's heads are in the clouds on this

They will lose their DLA though so there is no chance of them voting for it.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Onion Bag

Is there no DLA in the republic, i know the dole rate is a lot higher than it is in the north

Saffrongael

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 24, 2013, 04:20:05 PM
Is there no DLA in the republic, i know the dole rate is a lot higher than it is in the north

Dunno but if you are on DLA here you get more dole plus whatever you get on the DLA.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Onion Bag

Cant say either way saffron, but the point  im making is. Anyone with half a brain will take a look at the economic effect and if it is going to hit their pocket on a weekly or monthly basis they have to have a serious look at it. Republicans have fought for a united Ireland for decades and now that there is a possiblity of a Border Poll, it will be interesting to see what they will do if it ends up costing them e.g  £100-£150

thebigfella

Alex Maskey/Sinn Fein come across completely inept last night. I actually thing big Arlene didn't do that bad job to begin with; caught him out bumbling about the health service and defence budget ::)

I think after that she just got a bit bored and lazy. Maskey wasn't really putting up a fight and was doing more to convince people on the fence that the status quo is better than Sinn Fein's vision of unity.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 24, 2013, 05:02:45 PM
Cant say either way saffron, but the point  im making is. Anyone with half a brain will take a look at the economic effect and if it is going to hit their pocket on a weekly or monthly basis they have to have a serious look at it. Republicans have fought for a united Ireland for decades and now that there is a possiblity of a Border Poll, it will be interesting to see what they will do if it ends up costing them e.g  £100-£150

I agree totally Onion Bag, if someone is down £300-400 a month in a UI do people seriously think they will vote for it, no matter how Republican they see themselves.

Main Street

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 24, 2013, 05:02:45 PM
£100 - £150??  Imagine the sheer reckless stupidity of the old rebels who endured hardships, jail, torture, laid their priceless lives on the line, for independence from the Empire, only for generations later where people are shrewdly balancing pennies and pounds, seeing which way they should vote.
All those rebels should have sat down and worked out the financial pros and cons as it affected their wallets, before causing such destruction. If only they had half a brain ::)

armaghniac

QuoteAs someone has already said, i would love to know what a united ireland will look like? Sinn fein will struggle to convince a lot of people if it is going to effect their pocket, i.e higher taxes, price of living, etc. In the current economic climate the ordinary middle of the road nationalist will choose whatever is better for their pocket.

There is an enormous amount of work to be done on this. I suppose the only advantage of proposing the idea is to try and move the debate beyond wild speculation and the pointless detailed discussion of the price of Mars Bars.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

i.d go with that. maskey was poor he didnt seem too well prepared
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once