Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 05, 2012, 12:03:55 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 05, 2012, 12:00:50 PM
Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't.

Again, what's the difference, exactly?
Yaaaawnn, like most nationalists I really am not overly concerned with Ms. Price and her politics of the past, to misquote SF.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 05, 2012, 12:26:15 PM
Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't.

Yaaaawnn, like most nationalists I really am not overly concerned with Ms. Price and her politics of the past, to misquote SF.

Apples, is is too much to expect a bit of proper discussion? You bring the act of avoiding a question to an art form. Please, in the interests of this being a discussion board, explain what the difference is between "an illegal detention" and internment.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Will you pair please give up ye're tiresome duet. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 05, 2012, 12:34:10 PM

Apples, is is too much to expect a bit of proper discussion? You bring the act of avoiding a question to an art form. Please, in the interests of this being a discussion board, explain what the difference is between "an illegal detention" and internment.
Internment is a policy enacted by staute to imprison people without trial. This is not the case with Price, she may or may not be unlawfully detained, but unless she takes her case to court we won't know.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2012, 02:03:13 PM
too right, I wanted to give it up ages ago but Nally is a persistent bugger!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 05, 2012, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 05, 2012, 12:34:10 PM

Internment is a policy enacted by staute to imprison people without trial. This is not the case with Price, she may or may not be unlawfully detained, but unless she takes her case to court we won't know.

Aside from the fact that no definition I've ever seen for internment includes a stipulation that is must be "in statute" to be termed as such, if we take your fanciful idea that it isn't internment because it isn't in statute, then since collusion, another British activity in Ireland, wasn't in statute I assume you don't regard it as having existed?

And if it is termed "an illegal detention" (which ironically isn't in statute either), then surely that is something a democratic society should be opposed to? Why then criticise SF for speaking out against it?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 05, 2012, 04:53:48 PM
too right, I wanted to give it up ages ago but Nally is a persistent bugger!

He does go on a biteen alright  ;D
And he probably calls Unionists "Intransigent"  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

nally i think what apples is saying without actually coming out with it is that internment is wrong but it depends who it is.ie as long as its a nobody in his life its ok.
what nally is saying apples is its wrong no matter who it is. ie if you tolerate this then your children will be next
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Applesisapples

Quote from: lawnseed on December 05, 2012, 11:10:30 PM
nally i think what apples is saying without actually coming out with it is that internment is wrong but it depends who it is.ie as long as its a nobody in his life its ok.
what nally is saying apples is its wrong no matter who it is. ie if you tolerate this then your children will be next
very lyrical!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2012, 05:24:37 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 05, 2012, 04:53:48 PM
too right, I wanted to give it up ages ago but Nally is an persistent obsessve bugger!

He does go on a biteen alright  ;D
And he probably calls Unionists "Intransigent"  ::)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 10, 2012, 09:52:51 AM
very lyrical!

Lyrical indeed. But if this is a discussion forum, and you are taking part, then I'd be interested to hear your response to the below queries:

1. Aside from the fact that no definition I've ever seen for internment includes a stipulation that is must be "in statute" to be termed as such, if we take your fanciful idea that it isn't internment because it isn't in statute, then since collusion, another British activity in Ireland, wasn't in statute I assume you don't regard it as having existed?

2. And if it is termed "an illegal detention" (which ironically isn't in statute either), then surely that is something a democratic society should be opposed to? Why then criticise SF for speaking out against it?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 10, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
very lyrical!

Lyrical indeed. But if this is a discussion forum, and you are taking part, then I'd be interested to hear your response to the below queries:

1. Aside from the fact that no definition I've ever seen for internment includes a stipulation that is must be "in statute" to be termed as such, if we take your fanciful idea that it isn't internment because it isn't in statute, then since collusion, another British activity in Ireland, wasn't in statute I assume you don't regard it as having existed?

2. And if it is termed "an illegal detention" (which ironically isn't in statute either), then surely that is something a democratic society should be opposed to? Why then criticise SF for speaking out against it?
Nally, I have explained my reasoning which you don't accept so no point in continuing. I know exactly where you stand and I don't agree with you, I can't see me changing your mind.
Anyway with the census showing only 25% of the NI population considering themselves as Irish, I think you and your SF colleagues have greater issues to worry about.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 11, 2012, 03:43:40 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 10, 2012, 12:46:32 PM
very lyrical!

Nally, I have explained my reasoning which you don't accept so no point in continuing. I know exactly where you stand and I don't agree with you, I can't see me changing your mind.
Anyway with the census showing only 25% of the NI population considering themselves as Irish, I think you and your SF colleagues have greater issues to worry about.

I'm not asking your reasoning, I'm just asking what the difference is between internment and illegal detention?

lawnseed

25%? 25% consider themselves irish!? i'd say thats more to do with who running the show south of the border at the moment. given a choice between cameroon and the gimp kenny and fianna failure barking up his arse and they just after putting 4 future generations under the jackboot. who'd blame anyone for not wanting to join the sheep.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Saffrongael

A jury has found that Sinn Fein libelled a former director of NI Water.

Declan Gormley sued the party over the contents of two press releases it issued in 2011 in support of his sacking from the NIW Board.

The party denied the press releases were defamatory, but the jury found the party had acted with malice.

There will be another hearing at the High Court on Monday when damages will be decided.

The businessman, who was dismissed from the government-owned company by former Sinn Fein Regional Development Minister Conor Murphy, spoke of his relief at the outcome.

"I'm delighted, I feel the verdict has vindicated the position I have held throughout that this was something that was wrong," he said.

"I'm also disappointed that I had to end up in court, I would have been happy to settle for an apology and a public acknowledgement that it was wrong."

Mr Gormley was sacked along with three other non-executive directors from NI Water in March 2010.

Mr Murphy removed them from the board following an independent review team investigation into the awarding of contracts.

A subsequent Stormont Public Accounts Committee report into procurement and performance at the company was said to have criticised the earlier inquiry and questioned its independence.

Reckless
Mr Gormley emphatically denied any wrongdoing.

He issued libel proceedings against Sinn Fein and two of its representatives, MLA Cathal Boylan and former Assemblyman Willie Clarke, over the contents of press releases backing the decision to sack him.

Over the course of a ten-day hearing at the High Court in Belfast, his legal team claimed they damaged his reputation and were reckless, if not dishonest.

Lawyers for Sinn Fein contended, however, that neither statement contained any defamatory content.

They also claimed a defence of qualified privilege, arguing that the press releases were in response to a campaign of attacks on Mr Murphy mounted by the SDLP with Mr Gormley's collusion.

But a jury of five men and one woman found for Mr Gormley on the balance of probabilities.

They decided that both statements were defamatory and that the defendants were guilty of malice.

Mr Justice Gillen then rejected a final defence of qualified journalism, ruling that no steps had been taken to try to verify the contents of the press releases before publishing them.

"I'm satisfied that the press releases in question fell below the acceptable standards of journalistic approach," he said.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come