Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

It's up to her to take it to court, my question is why you believe she would lose. What, in your view, differentiates her case from a case of internment?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Puckoon

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2012, 04:56:47 PM
It's up to her to take it to court, my question is why you believe she would lose.

If she would win (i.e. if it is internment) - why wouldn't (or hasn't, I haven't looked) she taken it to court?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2012, 04:56:47 PM
It's up to her to take it to court, my question is why you believe she would lose. What, in your view, differentiates her case from a case of internment?
I didn't sat that she would lose, but it would sort the matter out one way or the other. I am simply making the point that we have accepted the rule in the six counties. But it seems to me that it is a conditional acceptance (by both sides if the DUP's summer letter is anything to go by). To be honest people like Marion Price with their support for dissidents leave SF open to criticism and accusations that they are still anchored to the past. They need to become more embracing if they wish to get the 40% of catholics happy to remain in the UK is to be persuaded.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 03, 2012, 05:03:25 PM
I didn't sat that she would lose, but it would sort the matter out one way or the other.
Well you said she is not being interned, so that would lead me to believe you do think she would lose. Look apples, you clearly said she is not being interned. I'm just really interested to hear your reasons for thinking this, but you don't seem to have a single reason at all.

To be honest people like Marion Price with their support for dissidents leave SF open to criticism and accusations that they are still anchored to the past.
Again, I think people would be more worried about SF not taking issue with internment without trial.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Minder

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2012, 05:14:15 PM
I didn't sat that she would lose, but it would sort the matter out one way or the other.
Well you said she is not being interned, so that would lead me to believe you do think she would lose. Look apples, you clearly said she is not being interned. I'm just really interested to hear your reasons for thinking this, but you don't seem to have a single reason at all.

To be honest people like Marion Price with their support for dissidents leave SF open to criticism and accusations that they are still anchored to the past.
Again, I think people would be more worried about SF not taking issue with internment without trial.

You are maybe over estimating how important people see Marion Prices internment, various political parties are using it for their own ends. I have seen various "protests" about her internment about the Falls Road and have never seen more than a dozen people at them. People obviously don't feel that strongly about it one way or the other.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

LeoMc

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on December 03, 2012, 05:55:32 PM

You are maybe over estimating how important people see Marion Prices internment, various political parties are using it for their own ends. I have seen various "protests" about her internment about the Falls Road and have never seen more than a dozen people at them. People obviously don't feel that strongly about it one way or the other.
You definitely have a point there.

Nally Stand

I don't over estimate anything. The issue of Price/Corey etc won't make or break SF, but it's more in SF's interest to voice opposition to cases of internment than to stay silent on it.

theticklemister

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2012, 09:19:37 PM

I don't over estimate anything. The issue of Price/Corey etc won't make or break SF, but it's more in SF's interest to voice opposition to cases of internment than to stay silent on it.

Sinn Fein's interests??? The case of internment without trial is always wrong, be it 1971 or now.

Nally Stand

Quote from: theticklemister on December 03, 2012, 10:31:15 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2012, 09:19:37 PM

Sinn Fein's interests??? The case of internment without trial is always wrong, be it 1971 or now.

No s**t!! My point was in relation to applesisapples claiming that SF will not do themselves any favour by supporting Price etc.

Applesisapples

Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't. Should be tested in the courts if it is a miscarriage of justice then she will win.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 04, 2012, 05:15:15 PM
Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you believe this? More to the point....what is the difference?

Should be tested in the courts if it is a miscarriage of justice then she will win.

mis·car·riage of jus·tice
noun
a failure of a court or judicial system to attain the ends of justice, especially one that results in the conviction of an innocent person.

She is in jail on the whim of a British Secretary of State, not a court, and she hasn't been convicted of a crime, so wouldn't that rule this out? Internment it is so.

thebigfella

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 04, 2012, 05:17:39 PM
Guys, call it what you like it may be , and I say may be an illegal detention but internment it ain't.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you believe this? More to the point....what is the difference?

Should be tested in the courts if it is a miscarriage of justice then she will win.

noun
a failure of a court or judicial system to attain the ends of justice, especially one that results in the conviction of an innocent person.

She is in jail on the whim of a British Secretary of State, not a court, and she hasn't been convicted of a crime, so wouldn't that rule this out? Internment it is so.

Sure why don't your bust her out? Maybe you can make a name for yourself.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 04, 2012, 05:17:39 PM

noun

Nally when you have to resort to this type of post it suggests that you have no defence, if you'll pardon the pun. ;)

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 05, 2012, 12:00:50 PM

Again, what's the difference, exactly?