Leinster Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 07, 2020, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

It's a monumental task, but I hope Laois can come through the Dublin match with our heads held high. I hope the Dubs don't play in top gear from throw in to the final whistle. I would take a 12 point defeat.

SCFC

We simply have to set up defensively. I presume we have Lillis back and also agree O'Flynn should start. He brings a lot of energy. O'Sullivan might be another defensive guy we could play as a wing forward.

blueandwhite1

Can we bring back Zach like Cork did with Mark Keane!!

The Boy Wonder

Dublin are like a well oiled machine and with ready replacements for any player below par. Their no-expense spared setup is streets ahead of any other county and you can see the totally integrated development system and coaching structure they have from underage to senior. Not a level playing field !

No pressure of expectations on the lads next Sunday anyway. It's a pity the game is not in O'Moore Park - tighter confines might have helped a little.
We have lads nearing the end of their careers and younger lads lacking experience. Hopefully they can lift their game like the hurlers did last Saturday.

Butch Cassidy

Very quiet on the football front which is understandable considering what happened on the hurling front.

On Sunday I can see Lilis come in for Lowry and maybe O'Flynn for Lacey. I'd put Piggot on Kilkenny and ask him to follow him wherever he comes. I just hope we give a good account of ourselves Sunday. Jim McGuinness made some good points re Westmeath. They had everyone behind the ball but didnt lay a hand on Dublin so hope we have a plan for both kickous. Our biggest problem is tracking runners and tackling so hopefully Quirke has them switched on for a Dublin onslaught.

Chrimtain

Seems crazy that Laois have played Dublin in the championship on 34 occasions and not once in a Laois venue. I'm not claiming that it would make any difference to the result on this occasion, but surely, given that no supporters are allowed, our county board could have looked for this match to be played in Portlaoise. I saw where someone has suggested elsewhere, that this unfairness would never happen in any other sport.

recyclebin

There should be a home and away arrangement up to the Leinster Final. It's unbelievable that Dublin have never had to play Laois in Laois for a championship game. I think we should leave Leinster and join Munster in protest! There are too many teams in Leinster anyway. A few others could also move to Munster and another few to Connacht.

redsetanta

Is it not the case that we have had the opportunity to play Dublin in Portlaoise but the gate receipts are worth more to Laois if played in Croke Park? It's more about money than fairness.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Chrimtain

When did we have the opportunity to play Dublin in Portlaoise and turn it down?

High Fielder

The game in Kilkenny a few years ago should have been played in Portlaoise. The CB put up no resistance to that at all. It was inexcusable in my opinion not to give us that opportunity. It turned out to be nothing more than a 1940s type Pathe clip. Ooh look at these Dublin people stepping off the train into the great city of Kilkenny.

redsetanta

That would be one high profile game but other years we would have drawn Dublin but then Leinster council would meet and agree that the game be played in Croke Park. Laois delegates were happy to go along with this for the additional revenue
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Chrimtain

Apart from the recent match in Kilkenny when GAA HQ decided that the match was going ahead there, I don't recall instances when we turned down the opportunity to have Dublin matches in Portlaoise. I'd imagine that the Laois CB would be under huge pressure from local businesses to have the Dubs come down to Portlaoise if they had the opportunity.

High Fielder

As I remember, that pressure was evident for that match a few years ago. Wasn't there a local hotelier asking for it? Didn't seem to stir much of a response. We do what we are told to do in Laois. It was definitely one of those occasions when we should have stood up for ourselves. Even the Flourbags got to hold a match in that hay barn they call their county grounds.

Unlaoised

Dublin will play a good few fringe players this weekend they will be keeping their bit hitters till  Meath Donegal Mayo games i think we might keep it tighter than people think .
I'm going for a respectable 9 points defeat .

LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

Good luck to the team against Dublin. They have done everything that could realistically have been expected of them this year. Go out and enjoy yourself and play with no fear