Laois senior football memories

Started by redsetanta, March 23, 2020, 12:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

With the lack of games to be discussing I thought we could delve into the past and talk about games in times past.

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers
2 - Favourite match
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)
4 - Best score/favourite
5 - Best individual display in a match
6 - Match with best atmosphere
7 - Most impressive victory
8 - Favourite county ground
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us

If more than 1 in a category then list 1,2,3 in order of preference.

If you have anything to add to it fire away
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Nameless

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers - 2003 v Dublin, felt like we were hitting the big time.
2 - Favourite match - 2003 Leinster final v Kildare, we hit the big time. Whirlwind of emotions that day but finished in ecstasy.
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) - Pre - Hughie Post - Beano - I know Hughie played a roll in 03.
4 - Best score/favourite - Pauric Clancy's point v Dublin
5 - Best individual display in a match - Hughie v Derry league quarter-final 1997
6 - Match with best atmosphere - 03 v Kildare or 06 v Tyrone
7 - Most impressive victory - Meath in 04 or Kildare in 05 were 2 whippings we handed out
8 - Favourite county ground - A terrace is a terrace
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) Losing to Dublin in 05 when we were robbed. Losing to Mayo in 06 when we should have held out for an All Ireland semi final. Losing to 13man Kildare in 97.
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us - We're ignoring Aughrim? The push on Joe Higgins that gave Dublin a 45 to equalise in 05 or was it to win?

SCFC

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers - Leinster final 2003
2 - Favourite match - Qualifier win over Tyrone in I think 2006
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) - Tom Prendergast, Ian Fitzgerald (and no I'm not a Portlaoise man!)
4 - Best score/favourite - Ian Fitzgeralds last point against Kildare in 03 final.
5 - Best individual display in a match - Must agree, Hughie against Derry
6 - Match with best atmosphere - possibly the Carlow refixture the year of the two games.
7 - Most impressive victory - giving Kildare a hiding in Croker in 2004 or 2005 not sure which year
8 - Favourite county ground - Newbridge😄 Ah no, Killarney. It's spectacular on a fine day
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) 2004 Leinster final closely followed by losing to Louth after beating Meath in Navan. Aughrim 86 still hurts too.
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us - Ian Robertson pick up for point and replay in 1999

Blow-in

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers (Leinster 03 v Kildare)
2 - Favourite match (Maybe Navan when Ross destroyed Meath on his own. Sun was blazing)
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) Wasn't old enough for pre 2000 so I'll just go Ross Munnelly

4 - Best score/favourite (too many to list)
5 - Best individual display in a match (Barry Brennan retiring Glenn Ryan in 05)
6 - Match with best atmosphere (Carlow games in the league over the last few years. It had a nasty bite to it and I loved it)

7 - Most impressive victory (Laois v Kildare in 05)
8 - Favourite county ground (Killarney)
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) my latest memory is the league v Kildare this year. No bottle, no bite and they had it at their ease.
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us: Ian Robertson in Croke Park was one that sticks to mind. Maybe the tackle on Clancy v Dublin in 07 (?)

Butch Cassidy

Apologies off topic but saw a good question of picking the best county team but you can only have 1 representative from each club. Anyone want to give it a go?

redsetanta

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers - National league run and win in the final in 1986

2 - Favourite match - Beating the Dubs in Croke Park in 2003. It will be many's a year before it happens again. Fairly small Laois crowd in Croke Park that day but what a buzz leaving the ground. Laois beating Meath in Navan in 1992. Reigning Leinster champions and All Ireland finalists in 1991. What a day that was. Just shows you 11 years between decent championship wins. They don't come around too often.

3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) Curly Prendergast, Post 2000 Wooly. Always performed well on the big days and I liked his attitude. Honourable mention to Ross who also shone on the big stage.

4 - Best score/favourite - It's not senior but i'm going with a goal scored by Beano in a minor game in Tullamore when he chipped the goalkeeper. Coolness personified.

5 - Best individual display in a match - Ross against Meath in Navan in 2006.  Ian Fitz in Leinster final 03 abd/or replay against Offaly.

6 - Match with best atmosphere - Laois v Tyrone in the pissings of rain in Portlaoise.

7 - Most impressive victory - Laois v Kildare in 05. An almost flawless performance and an exhibition of scoring.

8 - Favourite county ground - I like Carrick on Shannon, Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada

9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) - Both been mentioned I think. Losing to Dublin in 2005 was so disappointing. Took me days to recover. We had our chances which made it even harder to take. One of the best 35 mnutes of football from Laois because we were very poor in the first half. After beating Meath in 1992 to go out and be beaten by Louth the next day was sickening. Again kicked some bad wides near the end so we had our chances. It was a f**king disaster though and after a serious high we were turned upside down. After a brilliant performance against Dublin in 1999 we let it slip in the last few minutes. I remember a brilliant point from Hughie out on the sideline. We knew leaving Croke Park that day that our chance was lost and Dublin beat us handy enough the next day. 

10 - Worst refereeing decision against us - V Dublin in 2005 both the free and the 45 were dubious enough. You'd think that if it was any other teams in Croke Park we would have gotten the benefit of the doubt on one of those decisions. The game against the Dubs in 1999 with the Robertson pick up lends itself to another bad luck story. The Battle of Aughrim has been done to death but it still hurts to talk about it so I will just say Carthage Buckley
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

steven seagal

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers: The 2003 final was an obvious high point, but I'll always remember the trips to the minor games in the 90s. I was young enough at the time and loved heading off to the games, a whole load of us packing into the car. It was a day out, they were great memories.

2 - Favourite match: The 96 minor final sticks out, but the atmosphere in 03 tops it because we were all out on the pitch and it seemed like the whole county was at the game!

3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads): Not really old enough to go too far pre-2000 but Derek Conroy was unreal on the minor team of the mid-90s, loved watching him play. After that, Beano all the way, followed closely by Ross, Higgins, Clancy and Cahir Healy.

4 - Best score/favourite: I always loved Munnelly's goal in the 03 Leinster final. If you watch it back, Beano made it by having the brains to suck in the last defender before playing the pass. He almost played it early before he realised the chance would be lost, so delayed a second, got the last defender to commit to him instead of Ross and then played it off. Something simple but so clever and it made a massive difference to that game.

5 - Best individual display in a match: Graham Brody v Monaghan last year was absolutely incredible.

6 - Match with best atmosphere: Find it hard to recall atmosphere from a lot of games but always liked a big game in Croker the way the noise went around the stadium. 03 Leinster final a case in point.

7 - Most impressive victory: Tyrone in 06, the minor team of 2007 also steamrolled a couple of teams on the way to the Leinster final, they were a fine team. I think they gave Dublin a bit of a trimming that year in a replay, and hammered Offaly as well. The win over Dublin in 03, I remember watching it on the telly because we couldn't go to the game, Woolly gave an interview at half time and said he couldn't see us being beaten, we were all gobsmacked watching it. Turned out he was right! I'd also add the win over Wexford two years ago, the comeback was brilliant and there was a brilliant buzz out on the field after it.

8 - Favourite county ground: Hard to pick, a lot of brutal places out there. Probably Killarney. Aughrim should be demolished.

9- Most disappointing memory (you can rank them): Losing to Westmeath in 04, Losing to that horrible, sh*t factory of a Dublin team in the years after that. Pillar was a pr*ck of the highest order and that team was certainly in his mould! Also, losing to Offaly to get relegated to Division 4.

10 - Worst refereeing decision against us: That Robertson point was a good shout, I'll go with that too!

The Boy Wonder

1 - Best memory supporting the footballers
     That sunny Summer Sunday in Navan in 1992 when Hughie Emerson made his debut. Packed ground and great travelling support from Laois.

2 - Favourite match
     1985 Leinster semi-final Tullamore :  Laois 2-11 Meath 0-7

3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)
     Curly Prendergast, Ross Munnelly

4 - Best score/favourite
     2003 Leinster Final - Ross Munnelly's goal set up by Beano

5 - Best individual display in a match
     Curly Prendergast 3-3 versus Kildare, Leinster quarter-final 1981, Tullamore - Laois 3-13 Kildare 1-9

6 - Match with best atmosphere
     2006 win over Tyrone

7 - Most impressive victory
     2005 win over Kildare

8 - Favourite county ground
     Tullamore, although not so many happy memories there in more recent years

9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
    Aughrim

10 - Worst refereeing decision against us
     Seamus Aldridge as linesman ignoring the off the ball blackguarding by Wicklow that led to retaliations and sending offs

Nameless

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on March 24, 2020, 08:16:08 PM
Apologies off topic but saw a good question of picking the best county team but you can only have 1 representative from each club. Anyone want to give it a go?

Someone help me out.

Byron (Courtwood)

Roe (The Heath)
Kelly (St Josephs)
Lacey (Ballylinan)
Delaney (Stradbally)
Murphy (Graicuecullen)
Munnelly (Kilcruise)
Lawlor (Emo)
Predergast (Portlaoise)
Turley (O'Demposeys)
Kingston (Killeen)
Hughie (Portarlington)

on the hop

Byron (courtwood), Higgins (st Josephs), Timmons (Graigue), Healy (Portlaoise), Rooney(Clonaslee), Lalor (Heath), McMahon (Ballyroan), maher (stradbally), Clancy (Timahoe), ross (Kilcruise), Hughie (Port), Lowry (Killeshin), Leo Turley (O Dempseys), O Carroll (Crettyard), Beano (Killeen)

SCFC

Quote from: on the hop on March 26, 2020, 02:02:21 AM
Byron (courtwood), Higgins (st Josephs), Timmons (Graigue), Healy (Portlaoise), Rooney(Clonaslee), Lalor (Heath), McMahon (Ballyroan), maher (stradbally), Clancy (Timahoe), ross (Kilcruise), Hughie (Port), Lowry (Killeshin), Leo Turley (O Dempseys), O Carroll (Crettyard), Beano (Killeen)
Mick Lawlor surely? No?

Nameless

Can you leave off the Boy Wonder and Bill Delaney or is there an era restriction on this? Or just going on who you've seen play?

steven seagal

Going on the basis we can pick from any era, and that you can sort of crowbar a few lads into positions they may not necessarily be too comfortable in, here is mine!

Fergal Byron (Courtwood)

Pat Dunne (Ballyroan Abbey)
Darren Rooney (Clonaslee St Manman's)
Joe Higgins (St Joseph's)

Colm Browne (Portlaoise)
Paddy Dunne (Park-Ratheniska)
Denis Lalor (The Heath)

Padraig Clancy (Timahoe)
Tommy Murphy (Graiguecullen)

Mick Lawlor (Emo)
Bill Delaney (Stradbally)
Ross Munnelly (Arles-Kilcruise)

Evan O'Carroll (Crettyard)
Hughie Emerson (Port)
Donie Kingston (Arles-Killeen)

Subs:
John O'Loughlin (Rosenallis)
Derek Conroy (The Rock)
Leo Turley (O'Dempsey's)
Eoin Lowry (Killeshin)
Derek O'Connell (Kilcavan)
Fintan Walsh (Ballylinan)
James Finn (Ballyfin)

County Man

Best memory supporting the footballers

1. v Kildare 03
2. v Dublin 03
3. v Monaghan 2012

Favourite match

v Kildare 2003, all 2-13 scored from play, many great scores from lots of players.

Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)

1990-2000 Mick Lawlor
2000-2010 Tom Kelly
2010-2020 Donie Kingston

Best score/favourite

Hard to pick only one. Mick Lawlor's goals v Louth 91, Leo Turley's goals v Kildare 96, Hugh Emerson's goals v Derry 97, Mick Lawlor's point v Dublin start of second half 99, Mick Lawlor's goal v Offaly 03, Clancy's scud missile v Dublin 03, any of Ian Fitgeralds points v Kildare 03, Beano McDonald's goal v Kildare 03, Parkinson's goal v Meath 04, Ross Munnelly's goals v Meath 06, Donie Kingstons goal v Down 08, Colm Begley's goal v Kerry 2012, Colm Kelly's goal v Monaghan 2012, Gary Walshes point v Dublin 2012, Donie Kingston's point v Wicklow 2014, Stephen Attride's goal v Dublin 2016, Conor Meredith's goal v Armagh 2016, Paul Kingston's goals v Westmeath 2018, the goals v Down 2019, Eoin Lowry's goal v Derry 2019, Evan O'Carroll's goal v Roscommon 2020, Mark Timmon's point v Armagh 2020.

Best individual display in a match

1. Mick Lawlor v Dublin (drawn game) 99
2. Ross Munnelly v Meath 2006
3. Donie Kingston 3-4 v Offaly 2017.

Match with best atmosphere

1. v Kildare 2003
2. v Tyrone 2006
3. v Carlow 1995 replay
4. v Dublin 99 drawn game
5. v Wexford 2018
6. v Kildare 2005
7. v Down 2008

Most impressive victory

v Dublin 2003

Favourite county ground

O'Moore Park. Honourable mentions for Semple Stadium Thurles, Pairc Tailteann Navan and  Fitzgeralds Stadium Killarney.

Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)

1. Losing to Antrim 2015
2. Losing to Kildare 2017
3. Losing to Louth 2013
4. Losing to 13 man Kildare 1997
5. Losing to Meath 2002.
6. Losing to Clare 2016.
7. Losing to Tipperary 2014.

Worst refereeing decision against us

Referee blowing up early v Longford 2012.