Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Under Lights

I've mentioned on here before. In 2013 the football club organised a heart scan for all members, well you paid £15. I was picked up to have had a murmer.
Few further scans and it turned out that there was a hole between two ventricles. Blood flowing too and fro. Had it since birth but wasn't picked up. Was 27 at the time of the scan. I was told keep up active lifestyle and go about your business and I would just be checked up on every couple of years.
A year and a half ago the scan had then shown that the heart was increasing in size. Its been decided that it is best to get the holes plugged up now.
Turns out there is one hole at 12mm and a few other smaller holes. This means that they now have to do OHS and patch, if it had of been one hole they may have been able to go up through my groin and put in a umbrella plug.
Anyway it seems pretty common was just wondering has anyone else had this done by OHS and was looking to talk to people who have about what to expect after the operation. Was told it will happen in the next 6-9 months however with Brexit now this Friday and £350m a week being pumped into our NHS I expect it to happen much much sooner.

J70

Best of luck Under The Lights. I lived with a lad who had OHS, and it took a month or two to recover from the op itself, but it was all good after that. Different procedure to yours, but I'd imagine the op recovery time would be similar, even if the realization of full benefits from it might be different.

J70

Under Lights

Quote from: J70 on January 27, 2020, 06:11:01 PM
Best of luck Under The Lights. I lived with a lad who had OHS, and it took a month or two to recover from the op itself, but it was all good after that. Different procedure to yours, but I'd imagine the op recovery time would be similar, even if the realization of full benefits from it might be different.

I'm hoping to return to a desk job after about 3 weeks. I had no symptoms, was as fit as a fiddle in my youth and 20s.. do nothing now at all. Said I was working at around a 70% capacity all my life too. Should be a new man whenever it's done.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Under Lights on January 27, 2020, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 27, 2020, 06:11:01 PM

I'm hoping to return to a desk job after about 3 weeks. I had no symptoms, was as fit as a fiddle in my youth and 20s.. do nothing now at all. Said I was working at around a 70% capacity all my life too. Should be a new man whenever it's done.

Hoping it all works out for you Under The Lights, seems like there is a good plan in place for a full recovery to even better than before.

The jump up from 70% to 100% in performance will have you up to all sorts of shenanigans!!!

illdecide

So guys i'm one hour away from my operation, sitting in the hospital here crapping myself. Full hip replacement on its way :-\
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Taylor

Quote from: illdecide on January 29, 2020, 02:32:47 PM
So guys i'm one hour away from my operation, sitting in the hospital here crapping myself. Full hip replacement on its way :-\

Best of luck illdecide.
New man after it

Lar Naparka

Best of luck to you and rest assured you will be a better man when it's over. I have had both hips replaced and I have had 100% positive results. It may take a few weeks re-adjusting but the wait will be well worth it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ball Hopper

Friend had a single hip replacement in early Dec...back driving an automatic inside two weeks.

Hope all goes well for you illdecide.  Keep us posted on your progress back to full mobility.

illdecide

Thanks guys, had a rough nite last nite to be fair. The pain was tough but thankfully today it's not just as bad, every time i try to get up i get dizzy and feel sick but think i've the worst over me. Onward and upwards.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2020, 04:32:42 PM
Thanks guys, had a rough nite last nite to be fair. The pain was tough but thankfully today it's not just as bad, every time i try to get up i get dizzy and feel sick but think i've the worst over me. Onward and upwards.

My dad got his hip replaced over a year ago. His advice to anyone who is getting it done is to stick rigidly to the plan the doctor has laid out for you. No shortcuts. I bet you're glad to be over the operation. Enjoy the rest too.

PS Ballhopper, I've been keeping an eye on this thread from day 1, you're an inspiration to us all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Under Lights on January 27, 2020, 04:52:55 PM
I've mentioned on here before. In 2013 the football club organised a heart scan for all members, well you paid £15. I was picked up to have had a murmer.
Few further scans and it turned out that there was a hole between two ventricles. Blood flowing too and fro. Had it since birth but wasn't picked up. Was 27 at the time of the scan. I was told keep up active lifestyle and go about your business and I would just be checked up on every couple of years.
A year and a half ago the scan had then shown that the heart was increasing in size. Its been decided that it is best to get the holes plugged up now.
Turns out there is one hole at 12mm and a few other smaller holes. This means that they now have to do OHS and patch, if it had of been one hole they may have been able to go up through my groin and put in a umbrella plug.
Anyway it seems pretty common was just wondering has anyone else had this done by OHS and was looking to talk to people who have about what to expect after the operation. Was told it will happen in the next 6-9 months however with Brexit now this Friday and £350m a week being pumped into our NHS I expect it to happen much much sooner.

I've had two OHSs. I was born with Tetrology of Fallot. (don't ask me, I've had lots of people ask me and all I tell them is that not enough oxygenated blood goes back to the heart). I had one when I was 5 years old. I kind of remember telling people that I was going to get my heart fixed. That was THE major one for me, get over that one and I should make it through life. I must have been over a month in hospital then.

Then as is normal, a boy grows to a man, but the stent didn't. So I had to have another one when I was 15. I remember that spring being tired and breathless more easily. The annual check up showed I needed a second one. Thank God, it has done me so far. I may or may not have to get another one done. I dread the annual check up in case the consultant says you need it etc.

I also had two operations when I was a small baby. The scars are there, under the shoulders of all places. I also have epilepsy, the doctors think it's all related to the operation I had when I was 5 (no proof, but at the time my mother remembers being told it was like a hammer blow to the brain) when I tell them. I hadn't been diagnosed with epilepsy until I was 21.

Anyways, enough about me, you'll be a new man and with all the advances in medical procedures you shouldn't be too bad. After the operation, you should be able to return to work following the doctor's orders etc. Mind yourself and do keep us updated on your progress Under Lights.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

illdecide

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2020, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2020, 04:32:42 PM

My dad got his hip replaced over a year ago. His advice to anyone who is getting it done is to stick rigidly to the plan the doctor has laid out for you. No shortcuts. I bet you're glad to be over the operation. Enjoy the rest too.

PS Ballhopper, I've been keeping an eye on this thread from day 1, you're an inspiration to us all.

Big time, feel bad even discussing mine when you see what that mans going thru...

Dire Ear