Dublin v's Monaghan

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, March 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Gnevin

Quote from: Maguire01 link=topic=6984.msg#msg date=
From what source?
Lad i work with , says the PRO of the club in Monaghan is looking for numbers as the county board want to set their request to Dublin. No reason not to believe him if it's true would expect official word late tomorrow
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

don't know why -it's never full for all ticket games anyway.

Maguire01

A number of posts on hoganstand.com saying that Monaghan are being allocated 1,500 tickets to be distributed through clubs with none on general sale...... not sure how reliable that is (hope it's not - i'm officially on the hunt for a ticket!)

Gnevin

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 04, 2008, 09:39:04 PM
A number of posts on hoganstand.com saying that Monaghan are being allocated 1,500 tickets to be distributed through clubs with none on general sale...... not sure how reliable that is (hope it's not - i'm officially on the hunt for a ticket!)
Ticket hunt and its only march
http://www.hill16.ie/viewstoryhill16.asp?mainheading=Word+on+The+Hill&id=9667&viewstory=yes

Word on The Hill

Dubs v Monaghan all-ticket clash

Dublin's NFL Division 2 game against Monaghan in Parnell Park on Saturday evening, March 15 will be all-ticket.
The sides currently are level at the top of the table with Monaghan ahead by scoring difference.
Ticket information to follow but as usual preference given to Parnell Park ticket holders and club members.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 04, 2008, 01:56:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 04, 2008, 01:15:11 PM
strong indications that cahill is being earmarked for centre back this year or collie moran. But Catser at 6 may will be tried during the league. i fear for the vincents lads chances this year as  i believe the championship 15 will be near picked by the time they get back- i firmly believe our first 15 this year wil be identical to last year's bar maybe one position which is cullen swopping with moran-that's what i've heard coming from the camp.

Surely Moran would be playing at centre back during the league then???
All-Ireland final is on Monday after Monaghen match so would assume Brennan, Quinn, Connolly will be back in the fold for the last 2/3 matches anwyay...
Yeah, I don't see any of the Vins lads getting a start come championship - the championship team pretty much picks itself if everyone is fit and well:

Cluxton
Henry - McConnell - Griffin
Casey - Cahill - Moran
Ryan - Whelan
Cullen - Sherlock - Vaughan
Brogan - Keaney - Brogan
(forwards in no particular order!!)

The only two at any kind of risk would be Ryan and Sherlock - purely because they are the ones that Pillar has dropped before.

What will change this year is our subs. Any new lads now are playing to be first or second choice sub. And with injuries, suspensions, or mares, its unlikely we'll have our first 15 every game.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hound on March 05, 2008, 10:07:44 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 04, 2008, 01:56:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 04, 2008, 01:15:11 PM
strong indications that cahill is being earmarked for centre back this year or collie moran. But Catser at 6 may will be tried during the league. i fear for the vincents lads chances this year as  i believe the championship 15 will be near picked by the time they get back- i firmly believe our first 15 this year wil be identical to last year's bar maybe one position which is cullen swopping with moran-that's what i've heard coming from the camp.

Surely Moran would be playing at centre back during the league then???
All-Ireland final is on Monday after Monaghen match so would assume Brennan, Quinn, Connolly will be back in the fold for the last 2/3 matches anwyay...
Yeah, I don't see any of the Vins lads getting a start come championship - the championship team pretty much picks itself if everyone is fit and well:

Cluxton
Henry - McConnell - Griffin
Casey - Cahill - Moran
Ryan - Whelan
Cullen - Sherlock - Vaughan
Brogan - Keaney - Brogan
(forwards in no particular order!!)

The only two at any kind of risk would be Ryan and Sherlock - purely because they are the ones that Pillar has dropped before.

What will change this year is our subs. Any new lads now are playing to be first or second choice sub. And with injuries, suspensions, or mares, its unlikely we'll have our first 15 every game.
Are you mad? The back line is shite , Breannan in for Casey  ,Cullen back where he's meant to be and Mossy in the forwards

Hound

Quote from: Gnevin on March 05, 2008, 10:16:36 AM
Are you mad? The back line is shite , Breannan in for Casey  ,Cullen back where he's meant to be and Mossy in the forwards

No your mad, I'm right   ;)

No way is Quinn better than any of the six I've mentioned, and probably more besides. But I'm sure he'll get runs from the bench.

Cullen proved last year that he's not cut out for centre back. He's too easlily put out of a game. Picking him at 10 with the option to have him roaming around the half back line makes perfect sense.

Brennan is young and still has to prove he's got what it takes in the heat of championship in Croker. He should get chances this year, but it may be 2009 before he establishes himself as first choice.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hound on March 05, 2008, 10:28:49 AM

No way is Quinn better than any of the six I've mentioned, and probably more besides. But I'm sure he'll get runs from the bench.

Cullen proved last year that he's not cut out for centre back. He's too easlily put out of a game. Picking him at 10 with the option to have him roaming around the half back line makes perfect sense.

Brennan is young and still has to prove he's got what it takes in the heat of championship in Croker. He should get chances this year, but it may be 2009 before he establishes himself as first choice.

Quinn had a poor season last year , he was carrying an injury apparently
He was Dublin's top score in 2005, second too  Keaney in 2006 , Surely their is a place on the team for him
Playing Moran at forward last year was a joke ,he's no forward and either is Cullen, If he's not good enough at back then he's not good enough. Also you've no shocko on your team ! Your taking the piss right?

DUBSFORSAM1

I would like to see

Cluxton
Griffen McConnell Henry
Cahil Brennan Moran
Whelan Ryan
Cullen Sherlock Vaughan
Brogan Keaney Brogan

Cullen can play as a forward and did well in 06 - he will however do what Moran did last year and float back around the half back line but without the requirements to mark a centre forward like he had to last year so he can attack more....

Quinn unlikely as Vaughan is the free taker and Quinn to come off the bench - though either him or Connolly could take Sherlocks place and he could come off the bench...

Its nice to have guys like Connolly/Quinn/McMenamon/Bonner to come off the bench though..

Hound

Quote from: Gnevin on March 05, 2008, 10:40:10 AM

He was Dublin's top score in 2005, second too  Keaney in 2006 , Surely their is a place on the team for him
Playing Moran at forward last year was a joke ,he's no forward and either is Cullen, If he's not good enough at back then he's not good enough. Also you've no shocko on your team ! Your taking the piss right?

Quinn's a good man to get a goal, but he's not as good a footballer as the other 6. As for Cullen not being a forward, if it was the last minute of a big game with the scores level, the ball in the hands of a Dublin forward with a shooting opportunity from 30 yards - would you prefer Cullen or Quinn to be the man on the ball? I'd pick Cullen every time, without hesitation. More importantly so would Pillar. And in any event Pillar will always play with one forward who can help out in the backs when the need arises.

Shocko's a very good corner back. But just behind Griffin and Henry in the pecking order. There might be a chance I suppose that Pillar will punish Griff for going to Oz for a few months.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hound on March 05, 2008, 11:03:55 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 05, 2008, 10:40:10 AM

Quinn's a good man to get a goal, but he's not as good a footballer as the other 6. As for Cullen not being a forward, if it was the last minute of a big game with the scores level, the ball in the hands of a Dublin forward with a shooting opportunity from 30 yards - would you prefer Cullen or Quinn to be the man on the ball? I'd pick Cullen every time, without hesitation. More importantly so would Pillar. And in any event Pillar will always play with one forward who can help out in the backs when the need arises.

Shocko's a very good corner back. But just behind Griffin and Henry in the pecking order. There might be a chance I suppose that Pillar will punish Griff for going to Oz for a few months.
Shocko is our best corner back and should be first choice ,if not in the corner play half back , but i'd push griffin up and have shocko in the corner . Cullen has had 4 shots on goal in the last few league matches and made a bags of them Quinn ,every time .Over the past 3 year quinn would still be in the top 3 scorers for Dublin ,not as much style as Brogan but more substance , epically considering how bad brogan is at the minute

tayto

There was a couple of hundred monaghan fans, at most, in Parnell Park last time we played. Why the sudden need for 1500 tickets?

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on March 05, 2008, 11:13:12 AM

There was a couple of hundred monaghan fans, at most, in Parnell Park last time we played. Why the sudden need for 1500 tickets?
Band wagon jumpers , you know what Monaghan are like as soon as March comes around its a mad rush for tickets  ;D

Main Street

The smell of Dublin blood in the air holds a great attraction for Monaghan fans ;D