2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament

Started by bloody mary, December 16, 2018, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

Yep Emmet Bradley would probably be the oldest  and should be turning 26 this year

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2019, 10:15:57 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 02, 2019, 03:03:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 05:57:32 PM
I see some boy in the derry thread saying they are average and it is just an unofficial tournament  ;D

I would expect to see them maybe move the coach through with them to senior and bring the specific system etc they play through with them. I would be surprised if in the next few years they aren't pushing on a bit in senior.

Wind up merchants wouldn't put much stock in that . . . in fairness to Bellaghy it's a great achievement for them they would have been close to winning it last year as well only we managed to beat them in a very tight game!

I noted someone comparing it with Glen, Bellaghy's pedigree and the fact that there would be more focus and less distractions in the area may set them apart. Glen's biggest problem which Bellaghy will have as well is having to bring through so many young lads at one time. Slaughtneil were a great example while they had the nucleus of a good senior team they were able to bring through 2-3 lads from Minor teams that were competing with Glen at underage level which gave them a massive headstart.

Derry have a few good teams coming through the next few years hopefully we can get them to play for the county and get a bit of buzz around the county team again!

The reason I mention Glen was their series of wins at this level NEVER materialised at senior as they don't have the pedigree like Bellaghy, bringing a squad of young lads straight on to senior won't help..

we won five in a row at minor and Under 21 but could only bring on bring on 2/3 per year although we could have brought more on based on their skill level but it worked for us. The problem was we lost a lot of good players who were very decent but we'd a winning formula with the squad we had..

St galls did reasonably big bang approach did they not? They had sean burns, mcrrory and kennedy in nets to name a few older ones but that first championship team had a load of young guys in it i thought? When i say a load i mean close to double figures? I would be interested to see the lineup but doubt I could find the program.

Milltown Row2

Simon Kennedy, Michael culbert, mccrorry, pat o'Connor big Darren sean burns Mc Shane Maguire Gerry mcclarnon  GAGa big Eunan

They would have been none of the youth players as such . Kel Kieran Chris McCann Brady would have been the older kids that day

They came quicker the following few years though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ah more than i remember. Didn't realise some of those boys you mentioned were on the 97(or 98 or whatever it was) team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 04, 2019, 10:35:47 PM
Ah more than i remember. Didn't realise some of those boys you mentioned were on the 97(or 98 or whatever it was) team.

We'd a few Cracking players near their last last legs that held in there and they actually brought that team through as they'd won championships previously
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Club pedigree definitely has a bearing on being able to bring through a significant group of players. We brought through 13 onto the senior panel over a period of 2 years who all won minor county over a 3 year period. 9 of that 13 regularly played in championship winning teams. That was the first group of us that came through but the consequence of that is that subsequently we were able to bring though 7-8 of any strong minor team after that and then 2-3 of the decent teams

bennydorano

Our boys did the business last night in the Armagh Minor Championship, wondering is there anybody in the know if St Paul"s plan to run their fantastic Ulster Minor Club tournament this year? (Assuming it would be U17)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on September 21, 2021, 06:18:43 PM
Our boys did the business last night in the Armagh Minor Championship, wondering is there anybody in the know if St Paul"s plan to run their fantastic Ulster Minor Club tournament this year? (Assuming it would be U17)

I would assume so and hopefully name it after one of its best players in Anto Finnegan

PMG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2021, 06:40:27 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 21, 2021, 06:18:43 PM

I would assume so and hopefully name it after one of its best players in Anto Finnegan
No Ulster underage tournaments this year as no room in the calendar as schools have priority over the winter

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 21, 2021, 08:06:39 PM
As nice a sentiment as that would be, is it the done thing to remove someone's name from a cup?

Changing the name of the trophy from the Jimmy McConville cup would need to be something that that family would agree to of course, I probably jumped in with that thought too soon!

ONeill

Was down at Donaghmore v Four Masters.

Donaghmore seemed to be missing a couple of key men and were well beaten. Pulled it back to four at one stage in the second half but only seemed to have Noah Grimes as any threat up front.

Couple of big lads in that Four Masters side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: ONeill on December 27, 2022, 07:46:06 PM

Donaghmore seemed to be missing a couple of key men and were well beaten. Pulled it back to four at one stage in the second half but only seemed to have Noah Grimes as any threat up front.

Masters haven't lost a game in championship football since u12 apparently
Big ask for Dungiven
But good luck to the magpies would seal a 3 in a row for derry counties
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Antrim Coaster

Minus the mullet

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 27, 2022, 07:59:35 PM

Masters haven't lost a game in championship football since u12 apparently
Big ask for Dungiven
But good luck to the magpies would seal a 3 in a row for derry counties

Fairly big Dungiven side too who won Derry fairly handy by all accounts. Good to see them back competitive. Derry football needs them!

Silver hill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2019, 10:15:57 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 02, 2019, 03:03:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 05:57:32 PM
I see some boy in the derry thread saying they are average and it is just an unofficial tournament  ;D

I would expect to see them maybe move the coach through with them to senior and bring the specific system etc they play through with them. I would be surprised if in the next few years they aren't pushing on a bit in senior.

Wind up merchants wouldn't put much stock in that . . . in fairness to Bellaghy it's a great achievement for them they would have been close to winning it last year as well only we managed to beat them in a very tight game!

I noted someone comparing it with Glen, Bellaghy's pedigree and the fact that there would be more focus and less distractions in the area may set them apart. Glen's biggest problem which Bellaghy will have as well is having to bring through so many young lads at one time. Slaughtneil were a great example while they had the nucleus of a good senior team they were able to bring through 2-3 lads from Minor teams that were competing with Glen at underage level which gave them a massive headstart.

Derry have a few good teams coming through the next few years hopefully we can get them to play for the county and get a bit of buzz around the county team again!

The reason I mention Glen was their series of wins at this level NEVER materialised at senior as they don't have the pedigree like Bellaghy, bringing a squad of young lads straight on to senior won't help..

we won five in a row at minor and Under 21 but could only bring on bring on 2/3 per year although we could have brought more on based on their skill level but it worked for us. The problem was we lost a lot of good players who were very decent but we'd a winning formula with the squad we had..

MR2, I was looking back on this thread and the NEVER about Glen caught my eye. We reached the club's first senior final in 19, only 5 years after our last victory in St Paul's. Slaughtneil beat us in the semi in 20 and we won the last 2 Derry championships. I agree it's more difficult for a club without history but it's not impossible, as we have proven. I haven't sat down and counted them but I'd guess 20+ of our current squad have winners medals from St. Paul's. Remember as well that the talisman was in Australia for 4 of the years as well. Him returning was a big jigsaw piece in our recent success.