Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

I don't think a shot clock would work because I think it would actually give additional incentive for defenders to sit deep knowing that after a certain pre-determined period of time the attacking team will have to come forward. For example, last week, it would just mean that Donegal would have less incentive to come out to try to get the ball back from dublin knowing that if they wait 30 seconds Dublin will have to come forward and they'll get the ball back.

But saying that a shot clock is unworkable because we won't have a workable clock at every match is ridiculous. How do they manage at every basketball match in the country? We are not that backward in the gaa that the ref can't bring a clock with him to be used at a 'table' in the same way as is done in basketball.

Anyway, as I said above, I don't think a shot clock is the solution. I think any rule changes have to be to 'discourage' defensive play from the team without the ball, rather than trying to encourage the team with the ball to attack.  I think there is sufficient incentive for teams to attack at the moment (i.e. to get scores) but the problem at the moment is that the best way to attack against a team with 13/14/15 behind the ball is to be patient and recyle the ball a hundred times until an opening appears (or they get turned over).

sligoman2

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 18, 2018, 08:23:41 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 01:14:46 AM
And if they don't adhere to this rule where would the free be from?

Does the ref in club football keep counting to make sure there is 4 in the half and ref the other half of the pitch as well?

Free would be from the half way line as that's technically where the foul occurred.  Umpires could police it as there nothing else going on in that half of the field. Not being able to go back into your own half would completely change the dynamic as the easy option of booting it back 60 yards to an open player is minimized. 
Once again this is not an anti-dub rant, it's an appeal for the element of spontaneity and enjoyment to be restored to a game we all (at least used to) love.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Solo_run

Before there are any major changes there needs to be a change into how rules are implemented as there is too much of a discrepancy between how referees interpret the rules. However players don't make their jobs any easier by going down easily to win frees. If this happens, there should be severe consequences for teams - not just players, if they are later found to mislead the referee.

trailer

Quote from: westbound on July 18, 2018, 12:09:35 PM
I don't think a shot clock would work because I think it would actually give additional incentive for defenders to sit deep knowing that after a certain pre-determined period of time the attacking team will have to come forward. For example, last week, it would just mean that Donegal would have less incentive to come out to try to get the ball back from dublin knowing that if they wait 30 seconds Dublin will have to come forward and they'll get the ball back.

But saying that a shot clock is unworkable because we won't have a workable clock at every match is ridiculous. How do they manage at every basketball match in the country? We are not that backward in the gaa that the ref can't bring a clock with him to be used at a 'table' in the same way as is done in basketball.

Anyway, as I said above, I don't think a shot clock is the solution. I think any rule changes have to be to 'discourage' defensive play from the team without the ball, rather than trying to encourage the team with the ball to attack.  I think there is sufficient incentive for teams to attack at the moment (i.e. to get scores) but the problem at the moment is that the best way to attack against a team with 13/14/15 behind the ball is to be patient and recyle the ball a hundred times until an opening appears (or they get turned over).

No we're not backward at all. But you want a person sitting at a table with a clock. You do realise players would need to see the thing to be able to know when their 30 secs or whatever is up? You realise how big it needs to be?
A shot clock is a f**king stupid idea. And anyone who suggests it is f**king stupid.

mrdeeds

Solo_run

If 15 men throw themselves behind the ball to limit attacking play then perhaps the GAA should look at something that rewards attacking play and allow for wides to count towards scores.

Goal - 4
Over bar - 2
Wide - 1

Even if teams have to kick from afar the chances of getting a score is increased.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 18, 2018, 12:21:38 PM
13 a side?

Most sensible post on this whole thread.

Rename the thread " how to stop the Dubs winning by changing the rules of the game"

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 11:50:38 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 11:45:28 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 11:29:44 AM
A sport where space is shut down systematically is pointless for the spectator.
It may be logical for the manager but the attendances will fall.
Mike Gibson and O'Driscoll and the great soccer players could/can find space where others can't see it but in gaelic football they'd be handpassing indefinitely.
Maybe a scoring clock would work. Something has to change.

There's barely working scoreboards in 99% of GAA grounds. This would be chaos. Maybe that's what spectators want? Complete chaos over a shot clock.
Start off in Porky Crokey
The current system is the veneration of crap

So a different rule for football in Croke Park, one particular pitch in Ireland. Where Dublin have home advantage 70% odd of the time and now a shot clock advantage, as they'll be used to it. I thought we were trying to stop the Dubs? Imagine saying the "Mark" only counts in Croke Park and not the rest of Ireland. Please, please, please, for the love of God, think things through before you post.

Come up with something to fix the game rather than moaning. The game is dying.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Solo_run

I do not think the 13 a side idea will put an end to the blanket defence.

It will create more space but it will mean the top teams will become even fitter and it will create a larger gap between those at the top and those in the middle. This is an amateur game, the last thing we need is to place additional attention on the fitness of players.

That being said, additional subs may benefit the game as there will no longer be a need for players to maintain a full 70 minutes of intense football. In turn if there is less emphasis on fitness players may actually want to play county football.

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 12:42:31 PM
Mike Gibson and O'Driscoll and the great soccer players could/can find space where others can't see it but in gaelic football they'd be handpassing indefinitely.

There's barely working scoreboards in 99% of GAA grounds. This would be chaos. Maybe that's what spectators want? Complete chaos over a shot clock.

So a different rule for football in Croke Park, one particular pitch in Ireland. Where Dublin have home advantage 70% odd of the time and now a shot clock advantage, as they'll be used to it. I thought we were trying to stop the Dubs? Imagine saying the "Mark" only counts in Croke Park and not the rest of Ireland. Please, please, please, for the love of God, think things through before you post.

Twice on this thread I have suggested changes. You can go back and read them if you wish.
I'm not moaning. I'm pointing out unworkable, ill thought-out changes.

longballin

Have to laugh at Harte and these patronising expert coaches who said the game was "evolving"... good to see now the penny has dropped and people realise the game was being destroyed

BennyHarp

Translation - Throw random half cooked rule changes out there while moaning about the game dying.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on July 18, 2018, 12:59:38 PM
Have to laugh at Harte and these expert coaches who said the game was "evolving"... good to see now the penny has dropped and people realise the game was being destroyed and guess who was right all along... Joe Brolly

Who? A handful of people on this board??
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 01:06:58 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 18, 2018, 12:59:38 PM
Have to laugh at Harte and these expert coaches who said the game was "evolving"... good to see now the penny has dropped and people realise the game was being destroyed and guess who was right all along... Joe Brolly

Who? A handful of people on this board??

most of the GAA has copped onto it hence the fall in attendances... blind yourself to it and it'll get worse. Check out Rory Story latest skit on it... is huge agreement with him. Disgrace how these coaches ruined our game sure even Enda McGinley has seen the light, took a while but he got there

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 12:55:18 PM

Twice on this thread I have suggested changes. You can go back and read them if you wish.
I'm not moaning. I'm pointing out unworkable, ill thought-out changes.
They work in other sports.
The sight of the Dubs playing keep ball for the last 2 and a half minutes of the AIF last year was a sign of how fucked up the game is.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU