USFC Round 1 : An Cabhan V An Dun

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 26, 2007, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: Uladh on May 23, 2007, 11:34:00 AM

Strength & aggression at 3 & 6 with your centre back having enough awareness to know where and when to to cover.

Surley when Liam Doyle returns, he must be deployed at number 6 by Ross. For one he has the posistional awareness to play here, and secondly he can pass a ball from defence.

This was being cryed out for in Paddy O'Rourke's time, but surely time will be right for it when he returns!

Fíor Gael

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on May 23, 2007, 02:02:57 PM
Quote from: Uladh on May 23, 2007, 11:34:00 AM

Strength & aggression at 3 & 6 with your centre back having enough awareness to know where and when to to cover.

Surley when Liam Doyle returns, he must be deployed at number 6 by Ross. For one he has the posistional awareness to play here, and secondly he can pass a ball from defence.

This was being cryed out for in Paddy O'Rourke's time, but surely time will be right for it when he returns!

I agree scoilte, and often wondered why he hasn't been played in this role, but full back is still a major problem. The management have tried quite a number of player in this position and have yet to find anyone suitable, D Rooney will do his best but he's not a natural full back and also plays much better out the field. Are there any players in the county who might have the ability to do the job in here, only one's I can think off have left the panel ie McKernan, McColgan, Scullion!

Brick Tamlin

only one's I can think off have left the panel ie McKernan, McColgan, Scullion

Would that be Liz Mc Colgan??? because if its James Colgan forget about it, he left the panel of his own accord and opted out for the year and thus far he has done absolutely nothing since minor win to merit hype nor serious consideration for a starting place in county senior colours. Hype Hype Hype.

DownFanatic

I agree wholeheartedly with Brick. Will people stop thinking that James Colgan is some sort of omnipotent saviour that has come down to this earth to guide Down to multiple All Ireland glories. He is just an average player. I just wonder how many of Colgan's fans have actually seen him play over the past two years?

redandblackjack

Colgan is totaly over hyped. Even at minor he was not anything near as good as Clarke or Even Coulter in 99. His true colours were shown (as were others imo) when he opted out (as were Scullion's). Word was he was pissed off and i also heard he would only settle for a midfield role. Management make these decisions not players. I would seriously doubt whether himself or any of the other stay-aways will just walk back into the down set up whenever they feel like it. Ross and DJ are setting a benchmark and will be loyal to those loyal to them, and rightly so. The arse licking management style employed by POR got him sacked!

Fíor Gael

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 24, 2007, 12:58:37 PM
only one's I can think off have left the panel ie McKernan, McColgan, Scullion

Would that be Liz Mc Colgan??? because if its James Colgan forget about it, he left the panel of his own accord and opted out for the year and thus far he has done absolutely nothing since minor win to merit hype nor serious consideration for a starting place in county senior colours. Hype Hype Hype.

Fair point, but my question still isn't answered, is there anyone in the county who is capable of doing a job for Down at full back?

DownFanatic

Andrew Kane of Bryansford would be an excellent option at full back but he is in Australia at the moment. Just thinking - were would Martin Clarke have fitted in to the whole scheme of things if he was still about?

Fíor Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 24, 2007, 02:43:52 PM
Andrew Kane of Bryansford would be an excellent option at full back but he is in Australia at the moment. Just thinking - were would Martin Clarke have fitted in to the whole scheme of things if he was still about?

He would fit in the very best at no.10 or 11 and give us a greater scoring threat from the half forward line and an assured free taker!

redandblackjack

Clarke would more than likely fit into CHF? Maybe even 10 as Fíor said. Pity he aint about, but at least he will be jumping at the chance to play for the county on return and provide a massive lift to the county.
With regards to the no.3 spot, unfortunately we don't seem to be able to breed defenders like bellew, mcanallen moynihan et al. Lets just hope the kids in the county are getting a good portion of raw spuds and steak for their tae!!
Everyone could recommend someone from their club, reality is the county has already been searched twice over.

spiritof91and94

Was at An Riocht v Bryansford last week, colgan the star for them by a mile, everything revolved around him, word on the sideline was that since he opted out of the county squad he has been a revolution for his club - maybe he has had a reality check? Still think he will make it though and he has only turned 20 remember.

Hollow Man

Quotehe has been a revolution for his club

Rising up in arms is he? Bit drastic...

armaghniac

QuoteI`ll not laugh until then..
Clarke and Mallon may never be the same again

Laughing because players get wrecked by injury. Charming.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Uladh

Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 25, 2007, 09:46:19 PM
Quote from: Uladh on May 22, 2007, 10:42:10 AM

Who are you to say what concerns me?

Uladh I honestly dont think you should be posting on this particular thread. You have no business here, you are neither a Cavan or a Down man, you are only here to stir things up. Your opinions on Murtagh are way way out.
Sadly I wont be home in time to see Donegal v Armagh, but we`ll see how good your lot are come Sunday.
I`ll not laugh until then, but this is definitely Armaghs swan song.
Next year, no Joe, no Oisin, no Geezer, the twins have already gone, Francie may never play again, McGrane probably wont be back, Clarke and Mallon may never be the same again. I could go on, but Im on holidays and I think you get the point.

Do you realise what an idiot that post makes you look?

only cavan and down men can post on this thread? my opinions on murtagh are way out? did you read my reasoning on why his inadequacies will cost down in the long run?

as for the stuff about armagh... firstly how is that relevent to a down/cavan match and secondly, have you met many armagh men wh actualy believe thay will win on sunday?

Your post makes you soun like a 5 year old in a school yard.

But actually, i think you are ronan murtagh. noone else could inexplicably ignore the glaringly obvious about him.

Uladh