Car Trailer regulations in the wee 6

Started by Gaffer, October 14, 2012, 11:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

A man has been telling me that there are new regulations for car trailers in the north. He reckons a lot of trailers will soon be illegal and that trailers will have to go through a MOT type test. I paid  £600 for one last year and would hate to think I couldn't take it on the road..

Can anyone shed any light on this?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

GJL

Heard similar. Is yours a home made yoke of is it manufactured by a recognised trailer company. Ie ifor Williams, Brian James etc.

Gaffer

Was built by a fella who buildss for a company during the day. A moonlighter !!

GJL

Quote from: Gaffer on October 14, 2012, 01:42:14 PM

I'm not sure but you might be fooked. I think they are going to look for an official plate from a recognised manufacturer.

lawnseed

Quote from: GJL on October 14, 2012, 02:13:36 PM

I'm not sure but you might be fooked. I think they are going to look for an official plate from a recognised manufacturer.

you are fukd. you need a manufacturers plate showing date of manufacture, serial number, axel type and permissible loading weight. for a single axle under 750kgs max load i dont think you need brakes but by the sounds of it you've bought a double axle typical 8x4 'builders trailer' home made. you can get plates they're on gumtree search 'trailers' i think they are about £50 i'm not sure they'd stand very much scrutiny
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Gaffer

Quote from: lawnseed on October 14, 2012, 08:21:54 PM
Quote from: GJL on October 14, 2012, 02:13:36 PM

you are fukd. you need a manufacturers plate showing date of manufacture, serial number, axel type and permissible loading weight. for a single axle under 750kgs max load i dont think you need brakes but by the sounds of it you've bought a double axle typical 8x4 'builders trailer' home made. you can get plates they're on gumtree search 'trailers' i think they are about £50 i'm not sure they'd stand very much scrutiny

Thanks for that. What I have is a 7 x 4 single axle!!!  When does the above become law?