foriegn nationals and our great game.

Started by laughinpaddy, January 23, 2007, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laughinpaddy

Seen an article in todays Irish News regarding a 7-aside tournamet that was played at the weekend, and was won by Newry Mitchels.  I was woundering if anybody attended it? And what the skill level was like? will this benefit our national sport?
I also see that former Armagh player Marsden has gave it his backing.  what do you think?
I ain't gettin on no plane!

realredhandfan

thw more who play Gaelic Games the better, whether they are good bad or indifferent.  Why ask the question.... have you no brain of your own to answer it?

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I was talking to the guy who organised it - said a good deal of the players were from Brazil and, whilst they hadn't a clue about the game beforehand, they could soon be running out for Down.

Err, hope at last for Ross Carr!
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

laughinpaddy

If they play GAA as good as they play soccer then theres hope for us all!

nrico2006

Saw abit of it after training on sunday.  Some looked handy enough, but obvious that game was new to them.  Some of the  e europenas had handy footwork and there was a brazilian guy who was a flying machine.  Heard theres a few playing with clubs about the place.  Theres a big lad apparently playing with dungannon, hes only about 19?  Apparently hes like a bird in the air (used to play basketball), but a bit lost when he gets it down..  A clarkes player was saying that if he keeps at it then could be good.  Is there not some foreign lad playing with Omagh CBS?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Ethan Edwards

Excellant idea, great to see the GAA actively encouraging immigrants to play Gaellic Games, it can only benefit our games
That'll Be The Day

laughinpaddy

I know of a goalkeeper who plays for Collegelands in Armagh who is Polish and is quite good.  At first he had trouble with the hand pass but now that he has been playing for about 3 years he has come on leaps and bounds.  a great shot stopper.

Gnevin

Anyone who was watching  setanta  will know we have plenty of foreign nationals playing under age in Dublin. Some great talents out their and is great too see

P.S what the hell is the   all about ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fionntamhnach

I was at the MUSA in Cookstown on other business on Sunday afternoon, caught a little glimpse of the action - definitely good to see, some of the hand passing was strange but that down to evolution and learning.

youbetterbelieveit

wonderful to see, you cannot not get a better integration solution than sport, and when they play our national game it is even better, i say welcome to all, the more the merrier!

nrico2006

I heard about that Polish keeper, did they make it to their junior final or something.  The irish start has a dublin section during the week, and I see some under14 team that tasted success was captained by a boy originally from africa.  Im sure if these players are brought through they will make great senior players, especially the africans, excellent athletes!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tayto

awww Fionntamhnach... yer avatar bring back awful memories....

laughinpaddy

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 23, 2007, 03:12:07 PM
I heard about that Polish keeper, did they make it to their junior final or something. The irish start has a dublin section during the week, and I see some under14 team that tasted success was captained by a boy originally from africa. Im sure if these players are brought through they will make great senior players, especially the africans, excellent athletes!
Yeah made the junior final last year but were beaten well by Blackwatertown

Orior

Good avatar Fionntamhnach, did you make it yourself?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: Orior on January 23, 2007, 05:36:48 PM
Good avatar Fionntamhnach, did you make it yourself?
Just used a video to animated gif converter.