Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 18, 2023, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 18, 2023, 11:18:29 AM
Losing McGrogan cost Derry the jGame

Part of the plan to target players?

I agree he was a huge loss and I thought the "tackle" after he kicked his score was dangerous and warranted action from the ref.

I haven't seen any footage of that tackle at all. It isn't getting highlighted anywhere that i can see.
Who was the tackler?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Mario on July 18, 2023, 08:56:38 AM
Quote from: Piskin on July 18, 2023, 12:13:48 AM
That was the best footballing display from an Ulster team in manys a year. Ran out of steam & ideas in the last 15 mins. No team will win a major game by only scoring 4 points in the 2nd half. Came with a good game plan but had no plan B when it mattered most. Kerry were poor enough in the first half and were also caught out by Derrys switch of tactics. A game of 2 halves but Kerry had more composure & footballing nous to win the game. Jack o Connor made the right changes on the line also. As I said Derry were good to watch yesterday.
We didn't need a plan B, we just needed to pop up a few easy scores from plan A and the game was over. The chances were there and that was the winning and losing of the game. Easy to write these narratives after the game. Next year we will hear how Derry don't have the legs/squad depth to sustain that game in Croke Park, in reality it's just momentum. McKinless or Toner goal chances go in and the team gets loads of energy coming down the stretch, Ethan Doherty taps that one over the bar to put us 3 points up, McQuillan doesn't give O'Brien a soft free after we have just won a massive turn over. Those things went against us and sucked the energy from the team and give it to Kerry. Fine margins.

I do think Derry's lack of squad depth is going to be a short/medium term issue.
Injuries are an inevitability.
Never understood Gallagher's small squad approach under the current structure - it might have been something that worked in the old days when the league wasn't a factor but with the provincials plus groups plus knock-out stages not having panel depth is a massive handicap to overcome espeically if you are trying to compete against the likes of Dublin and Kerry.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 18, 2023, 11:23:34 AM

I agree he was a huge loss and I thought the "tackle" after he kicked his score was dangerous and warranted action from the ref.

I haven't seen any footage of that tackle at all. It isn't getting highlighted anywhere that i can see.
Who was the tackler?

I don't know who the tackler was but I honestly thought it wasn't good yet no talk of it. He had a free shot then next think you know he's busted - how does that happen?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2023, 11:44:24 AM

Who was the tackler?

I don't know who the tackler was but I honestly thought it wasn't good yet no talk of it. He had a free shot then next think you know he's busted - how does that happen?

Did the defender not dive to make the block and caught McGrogan on the follow through? By accident?

tbrick18

Who was the tackler?

I couldn't make out the kerry player either but he slid in and took McGrogan down while he was pivoting on one leg having just taken his score.
Really dangerous tackle and if dangerous play warrants a red, then that did.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 18, 2023, 11:47:48 AM

Who was the tackler?

Did the defender not dive to make the block and caught McGrogan on the follow through? By accident?

I think he slid more than dived and it was very late and took the standing leg. Maybe reading too much into it as tbh I felt Kerry were pushing the bounds of cynicism but definitely thought on one look it looked ropy enough. Couldn't really see it on replay and even tried to slow it down.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2023, 11:52:59 AM

Who was the tackler?

I think he slid more than dived and it was very late and took the standing leg. Maybe reading too much into it as tbh I felt Kerry were pushing the bounds of cynicism but definitely thought on one look it looked ropy enough. Couldn't really see it on replay and even tried to slow it down.

Can just about see it on Iplayer, about 37 minutes. Looks like foley. Just slid into his standing leg, such a dangerous challenge.

NotedObserver

Derryman forever

Just Had a look at it there lads,
A diving block as said above.
Totally accidental, but terribly unfortunate for Derry. The referee had no role to play in adjudication that i could see.

imtommygunn

Fair enough. I only saw it real time.

Derryman forever

Having watched the replay, the only reason that Derry are not playing on Sunday week is that the little things that turn games happened to go against them.
Losing Mc Grogan, having that goal chance of mc kinless saved , just one more of the 50 /50 decisions go their way.
It was just not Derrys day. Had nothing to do with kerry being better or more experienced.  Derry simply did not get the breaks, that on another day they might have.
I could not be prouder of them .

tonto1888

Who was the tackler?

thats exactly what happened

Derryman forever

Thomas niblock is hard to listen to commentating. He is awful. Bring back Mark Sidebottom.
And Philly mc Mahon is even worse.
The BBC used to be much better at this.

Maroon Manc

Thought Derry had a decent chance before the game but that 1st half performance was way better then I thought they were capable off. That 2nd half will haunt for a long time, should have been 4 or 5 points up going into the final 10 minutes.

Derry's injury record the last 2 years looking from afar is impressive as is Kerry's especially when you compare that to someone like Galway who were decimated this year, Derry playing division 1 next year might find it tougher in that department so finding new blood is imperative.

Thought Derry would need a bit of luck to win the game but the reality is that Kerry got the luck from McQuillan.

statto

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 18, 2023, 01:37:06 PM
Thomas niblock is hard to listen to commentating. He is awful. Bring back Mark Sidebottom.
And Philly mc Mahon is even worse.
The BBC used to be much better at this.
Bring back jimmy smyth or jimmy magee!